View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 2 of 46 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by mylestom View Post

It all sounds good but don't believe it is really value for money, also loss of trade for local tackle shops, corner shops. Nobody just decides to fishing at the drop of the hat. Too much hassle getting a licence. See it all the time with the community and holidaymakers around here.

Regards

Trev
    I owned a tackle store in NSW when the license was brought in - And our figures improved over time as the fishing was improved. It can be a drag for tackle stores to administer - BUT brought more anglers in as we did our best to make it a hassle free process.

I am all for another system if it provides No-Strings-Attached funding to improve our fishing & gives us better control over our fisheries in Qld , I just do not see a better answer

Remember - "I" am only suggesting a General License IF IT IS MODELLED on the NSW example - as "I" see it as the best one on the table at present ,with a proven track record.

Again while not being perfect "I" believe it is better than what we currently have in Qld.

Regards Scotto

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    I owned a tackle store in NSW when the license was brought in - And our figures improved over time as the fishing was improved. It can be a drag for tackle stores to administer - BUT brought more anglers in as we did our best to make it a hassle free process.

I am all for another system if it provides No-Strings-Attached funding to improve our fishing & gives us better control over our fisheries in Qld , I just do not see a better answer

Remember - "I" am only suggesting a General License IF IT IS MODELLED on the NSW example - as "I" see it as the best one on the table at present ,with a proven track record.

Again while not being perfect "I" believe it is better than what we currently have in Qld.

Regards Scotto
    That was true in lots of cases the tackle shops didn't like administering for free the licence but they knew how their bread was buttered, impulse buys and the extra through door traffic it created improved the bottom line, even those that held out on public principle for a while gave in to compete.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by Lucky_Phill View Post
    Scott,

This very subject is being considered by ECOfishers Qld and been brought up in discussions with various Gov bodies and committees recently.

why would anyone bring this up with the Govt...there is nothing to gain from a fishing license..just more taxes to pay to a pathetically performing Govt.
    If anyone thinks those funds would go anywhere other then consolidated revenue they are kidding themselves.

By bringing it up, the powers that be will then think that fishos that a license is a fait accompli and set the wheels in motion to implement it.

treasury would be rubbing their hands with glee.

NO fishing license in saltwater in Qld..use what taxes we already pay a lot better and no extra should be needed. Why would you even discuss it with them..if the Govt raised the subject then the response should be nothing but an emphatic NO..IN CASE THEY ARE DEAF..NO. then just leave the discussion table.

If discussing things with any Govt body just ask them what has happened to all the money the Govt has already raked in..where is it...they are broke now..where did all the money go????

the last time I talked to the so called people that wanted my feedback on fishing it cost me 30% of my fishing areas will I ever talk to them again ? I don't think so ! the last bloke said to trust him as well . it might work in the south but don't bring their bull$hit up north
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

If anyone thinks those funds would go anywhere other then consolidated revenue they are kidding themselves.

Unfortunately Pinhead - You are wrong. If we modelled a Qld general recreational Fishing license on the NSW model - IT IS LAW / LEGISLATED that ALL of the money raised via the license fees goes into a transparent trust accounts - that is managed by committees made up mostly from recreational anglers

I believe the admin fee is still capped at 10% of the total license fees to cover admin in NSW - payable to DNR&F. I have asked Jim Harnwell ( Editor of Fishing World mag ) for an update which I hope to have shortly. I understand that the current SIPS program pays 25% to DPI&F to cover admin currently. I believe this is too much & would suggest that we work on 10% under a new general license system.

For those who have concerns with the current SIPS program - I propose it is kicked off under a new freshwater trust account - with initial funds based on the highest average amount raised over the previous three years as we did in NSW with the former freshwater license. This means that you pay out at least the highest average SIPS allocation over the former 3 years to get things started & review the figure in future once you have an idear on total funds available from the new general license program.

I do not believe it has anything to do with what DPI&F current have on their agenda, as I propose this new license system is IMPLAMENTED due to overwhelming support from the recreational angling sector - ON OUR TERMS !

This is a User pays system - BUT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY IMPLAMENTED BASED ON THE NSW MODEL !

There are NO GREY AREAS with this - It is either imposed by the wider angling community sooner - rather than later OR we will wind up with another system under on the governments terms

I believe the ball is rolling & now is the time for Queensland recreational anglers to take control of their fisheries

Regards Scotto

Regards Scotto
    Live at the beach and estuary and it stops repeats stops the legitimate partime angler who just thinks hey I want to go fishing. I am involved with the angling scene down here and talk to people on a daily basis. Yes it does cut down on the casual angler, just looking at the stock at the local shop will tell you that.

I do have a reasonable idea of the fishing in my region, and belief if you speak to anyone, including fisheries you would understand that I am involved. It is not working, it does restrict the casual angler and tourist dollar. It is not and will never be the silver bullet. Why pay for something that is currently free.

Yes I do impoundment and estuary fishing in Qld as well. The cost for the travelling angler is getting excessive. How many licences does one angler need in a year.

Vote no to something you don't need.

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Unfortunately Pinhead - You are wrong. If we modelled a Qld general recreational Fishing license on the NSW model - IT IS LAW / LEGISLATED that ALL of the money raised via the license fees goes into a transparent trust accounts - that is managed by committees made up mostly from recreational anglers

I believe the admin fee is still capped at 10% of the total license fees to cover admin in NSW - payable to DNR&F. I have asked Jim Harnwell ( Editor of Fishing World mag ) for an update which I hope to have shortly. I understand that the current SIPS program pays 25% to DPI&F to cover admin currently. I believe this is too much & would suggest that we work on 10% under a new general license system.

For those who have concerns with the current SIPS program - I propose it is kicked off under a new freshwater trust account - with initial funds based on the highest average amount raised over the previous three years as we did in NSW with the former freshwater license. This means that you pay out at least the highest average SIPS allocation over the former 3 years to get things started & review the figure in future once you have an idear on total funds available from the new general license program.

I do not believe it has anything to do with what DPI&F current have on their agenda, as I propose this new license system is IMPLAMENTED due to overwhelming support from the recreational angling sector - ON OUR TERMS !

This is a User pays system - BUT NEEDS TO BE CLEARLY IMPLAMENTED BASED ON THE NSW MODEL !

There are NO GREY AREAS with this - It is either imposed by the wider angling community sooner - rather than later OR we will wind up with another system under on the governments terms

I believe the ball is rolling & now is the time for Queensland recreational anglers to take control of their fisheries

Regards Scotto
    I am not wrong..I am talking about Qld..I don't give a rats what NSW does or has done. I would not trust this current Govt with $5 to go and get a litre of milk..does the name Nutall ring a bell..or how about or the pay for meeting dinners...anyone that trusts this Govt also sits back and waits for the tooth fairy.

I am sick and tired of this user pays crap..it is nonsense. If user pays is the way to go then I objest to any of my money going to schools or public hospitals..i do not use them so why should I pay for them.

Stuff any more taxes..if you think it is such a great idea then pay mine and anyone else that disagrees with it .

If you think this irritates me..you are so right..agreeing to any more taxes is just bending over and taking it from the Govt. I pay enough taxes thanks and also stupid license fees . When someone can tell me where all the money has gone I might change my thoughts...until then the Govt can go and ..well you know the rest.

Do you get a vote on which rec anglers are on those committees??
    Do you get a vote on how the money is distributed?

As I said earlier some very naive thinking here!

No way should this even be considered in Qld

We pay far too much for far too little and to volunteer for this is just crazy.

What is the real agenda of the proponent?

Trying to drum up business?

Looking to get into politics or just a stirrer.

Anyhow like others have said, its very hard to trust this govt so basically forget it and move on.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Could I trust this government not to change the rules? No! Eventually we would see the funds return to consolidated revenue. What percentage of our current fees (regos etc) are returned to us in services and facilities now? What promises were made about boat rego when they were first introduced decades ago...
    Perhaps someone knows.
    Perhaps we will see the Government increase facilities by the same percentage as our registrations have gone up in the last two years.
    I'm dreamin'.

Seriously without a long term full Royal commission into corruption in QLD with terms wide enough to allow the general public to participate on entrenched departmental behaviour and the ability to bring officially into line what IS the new definition of corruption for the millennium trusting any government department in QLD is for the gullible.

Money may go into trust as the most appropriate but it will then go through stacked committees and/or terms and corrupt fishery's management/moderation/control at every level (identical to now) into increasing their own power base with more jobs for the boys, longer contracts, rewards of further grant money to research arms which have no scientificly trusted stature outside of other government and environmental zealot organisations/universities etc (their brothers in arms). Corruption at all levels reigns supreme here in QLD. Our money will be squandered, fishery as now has no legitimate lawful responsibility to ensure good value for dollar spent or that fair outcomes are to be expected.

That 10% administration fee does not take into account what we think it does, this is government we will be lucky if 20% is left to put to real work, the rest will end up in gross numbers of employees/corporative/management or professors bank accounts as funds from grants from stacked and most often personally elite committees with not one single grass roots angler represented.

cheers fnq

Beattie and Bligh have bankrupted the state! Do you think they will pass up any opportunity to channel funds in to consolidated revenue?

You are living in wonderland if you think that fishers will have any say or control over any funds raised by a licence, We have just been slugged mega with increases in rego and have nothing to show for it. Licence fees would go the same way.

If we lived in a utopian state I would support this idea, unfortunately we live in a state where the Labor government needs the support of green preferences and spending any money that can be seen to be used to assist in the killing of sea kittens will not happen.

Thumbs down Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

A definite NO if introduced provision need to be made to buy all gear from recreatonal anglers who give up because of the tax no argument on the price just pay up what is asked.
    It would all be spent south of the Caboolture fault line like most of the roads etc.

The correct model has the money placed in Trust and administered by an independent-of-Government group. But folks are correct, eventually the money will be seen and nicked by Labor, and there will be nothing to be done about it.

So the initial solution is to get rid of these Green idiots (I mean Labor). Unfortunately we can't get rid of them forever, so the same grubbing, money wasting committee loving tree hugging koala-leg-humping idiots will get into power again, and everything set up under the Conservatives to get the money right will be raped again.

The answer? Benevolent Dictatorship. Won't happen. So, unfortunately, I don't see a long term solution. I really don't. That really, really depresses me...

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

Exclamation Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Don't put idea's into their heads!

With what we pay in rego and nothing is going back to support Rec/Fishing. The Polies are over paid and are just trying work out another way to rip more money out of us.

NO, NO NO, NO NO, AND NO FROM ME.

Cheers

Laurie

Quote Originally Posted by Chimo View Post

What is the real agenda of the proponent?

Trying to drum up business?

Looking to get into politics or just a stirrer.

Anyhow like others have said, its very hard to trust this govt so basically forget it and move on.

Cheers
    Chimo
    No personal agenda & not looking to get into politics - just sick & tired of having our rights as anglers taken away , restricted access , marine parks & unsustainable fishing practises

Yeah so we'll all just sit here and sob

I still do not see any constructive alternative to a general recreational fishing licence ( Based on the NSW model as disclosed ) ?

ALL of those who have voted NO must be happy with the way our fisheries are being managed ?

A general recreational fishing licence WOULD clearly show how many serious recreational anglers you had in the state - as you would ALL now be "Financial stake holders" . You would have a louder VOICE in political circles - You would have capital to invest in campaigns against recreational angling - IE: green zones & marine parks , WE would have a data base of ALL the SERIOUS recreational anglers - to communicate with, in an effort to gaining better support to protect the recreation that we passionately enjoy !

Or we can continue to whinge & complain about how hard done by we are

Just a thought - Scotto
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 04-09-2009 at 10:02 PM.