View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 17 of 46 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415161718192021222324252627 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    Pinhead - How about we let this run it's coarse & we re-visit our situation in 12 months time

Regards Scotto
    I have no intention of leaving it alone..I feel very strongly against any form of another tax.

If implemented it would just be another jobs for the boys.

I , like some others, cannot help but wonder what your agenda is in this? personal glory perhaps..a need to feel important maybe.

All in all...NSW can have their licenses..they can have anything else they want but I don't think we need to follow them.

If at any time the idea of a license is publicly spruiked by the Govt I will be bombarding my local member with my thoughts on it.

It ia quite obvious you have little memory of your time on the board..you cannot give any idea of answers ot my questions.

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    I have been out of the NSW for over 4 years - W always had a green rep on the committees as you need to be seen as unbiased. There where many strong discussions with that representative during my time on the committee - BUT they where always outnumbered by the rec fishing sector

Regards Scotto
    yeah also a couple from the commercial fishing sector?, retail fishing industry. it's been a while, have searched half heartedly this last few day for a modern insight into it's workings but it's largely secret squirrel except at the glossy brochure level, found that level of info easily. Too lazy to chase up the where in the regs it is all contained if anywhere.

This almost identical discussion has been seen on Ausfish a few times before, it's always a dead end re licence but does point each time toward lobby groups and/or full political representation, personally I believe both need to stand side by side if each represents the grass roots angler first, if they will not represent the pure anglers then they are doomed, like a licence cannot by it's very fundamental nature but still exists solely because of it's punitive nature.

The AFLP I understand is looking to officially reassemble, the wins they had even in their short existence has never been seen before in QLD fishery history or federal actually.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post

yeah also a couple from the commercial fishing sector?, retail fishing industry. it's been a while, have searched half heartedly this last few day for a modern insight into it's workings but it's largely secret squirrel except at the glossy brochure level, found that level of info easily. Too lazy to chase up the where in the regs it is all contained if anywhere.

cheers fnq
    Give me a brake - if it was any more transparent you'd hit your head on it

I have put all the relevant links up to answer the questions to date & I am just waiting on actual figures to come back from DPI&F on total revenue raised , break down on license sales & the allocated standard budget to NSW DPI&F from public revenue. The license fee is used solely ON TOP of the departments budget

The too lazy bit - is why rec anglers continually get shafted

Regards Scotto
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 12-09-2009 at 06:00 AM.

Pretty close Poll results so far - Neck & Neck

Have a Great weekend - Scotto

Hi Scott,

And thanks for debating the Naysayers over the last 16 pages, you must feel like Columbus did after trying to convince the knockers that the world is round.

I doubt very much that any amount of information you could provide will remove the blinkers from many here....none are so blind as those who will not see.

Rest assured that there are many out there that would fully support the proposal and can't wait for a system that could be best described as 'For the People By The People.'

Anyway....there must be a lot more conspiracy theories to be thrown out there by the NaySayers.......over to them.

Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon View Post
    Hi Scott,

And thanks for debating the Naysayers over the last 16 pages, you must feel like Columbus did after trying to convince the knockers that the world is round.

I doubt very much that any amount of information you could provide will remove the blinkers from many here....none are so blind as those who will not see.

Rest assured that there are many out there that would fully support the proposal and can't wait for a system that could be best described as 'For the People By The People.'

Anyway....there must be a lot more conspiracy theories to be thrown out there by the NaySayers.......over to them.
    Is he your brother Scott ????

your great ideas have got me thinking now. Maybe we can have a recreational swimming licence too.
    It can collect $25 a year off everyone and that can help pay for shark netting. beach patrols maybe a few research grants towards making artificial beach breaks for the surfers put a few more council workers on the payroll to sweep the beaches.
    Whats that you say. Thats a ridiculous idea.
    yeah,now your getting the point
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post

your great ideas have got me thinking now. Maybe we can have a recreational swimming licence too.
    It can collect $25 a year off everyone and that can help pay for shark netting. beach patrols maybe a few research grants towards making artificial beach breaks for the surfers put a few more council workers on the payroll to sweep the beaches.
    Not a bad idea, however the comparison between the 2 are closer than you think....Surf Lifesavers are always looking for more money because the Government can't support them...and surely the government with all of the taxes they take should be able to provide the lifesavers with the resources they need, without having to run chook raffles and door knocks.

So, a $25 levy for all beach swimmers that would go straight back to the Lifesavers via a committee scheme administered by the lifesavers would get my vote....there may be an option for the recreational fisherman to join the same scheme and get some Independence from the Govt Purse Strings......or maybe they could create their own system.....lets call it the General Recreational Fishing Licence...for want of a better term.....and get some self determination for a change as opposed to waiting for the scraps.

Quote Originally Posted by mangomick View Post

LOL I have been saying it for a while, the stats reflect that it is simply too dangerous to go swimming here in Oz and considered that mandatory PFDs would be in ideological keeping with 'what is safety concern' these days but had missed the user pays link, I guess surfers had better watch out as sometimes there is simply not enough swell when they want to surf, I have heard those complains often

cheers fnq

The possibilities are endless. A license to breathe. Every man women and child $25 bucks a year for a license to breathe . We can shut down dirty industries,create oxygen tents on every corner and employ hundreds of academics to work on a clean coal agenda and then there's a license to ride a push bike why should they use the roads that I as a motorist have to pay a car license to use, we can then build heaps of bike lanes and employ more police to police them and a licence to walk hardly fair motorists and bike riders have to pay to get around when those pesky walkers get away with walking across our roads when everyone else has to pay.

gee, how silly can we get.????.... oh I know ...how about a fishing licence..............
    THE POOR MAN ALWAYS PAYS TWICE

I am against the fishing liscence idea totally ,how would it work i get a yearly one the people i take occasionaly need to get one weather it be a one of situation or more . Its an absolute debarcle what if i go on a charter which i do occasionaly would my yearly do and what about customers who fish once a year they would have to buy one by your reconing from what i understand ,it certainly would change the spirit of spare of the moment fishing . The governemnt already regulate us as to what we can and cant do way to much surely at the end of the day those of us that fish would have no say, it would only those that brown nose there way into the commitee or what ever you want to call it who would be making judgements for us all . Getting any sort of say would be neigh on impossible . It would only be a few that would gain and it would become an absolute nightmare for the rest of us who just want to fish in peace and take our family and friends out . If on a volantary bases then go for it and i hope you can make some sort of difference but i dont see too much difference happening with the organizations that are out their now .....matt
    A bad days fishing has got to be better than any day at work......

Ausfish Platinum Member - R.I.P. October 2015 dayoo's Avatar

Scott,

A general fishing licence is not favoured by the present Queensland Government and is not the preferred option of Queensland Fisheries.

Fisheries prefers to identify a fish species under sustainability threat and concentrate resources to rectify the problem.

The financial crisis has seen funding cut to all State Government Departments including Fisheries. It won't be long before funding of some Fisheries activities is sought from recreational anglers in the form of a species specific permit.

In future years with change in Government and Fisheries staff the introduction of a general fishing licence will be forced upon us particularly with all the Mexicans moving north from down south.

Cheers
    Barry

Think long and hard before going for a fishing licence arrangement.Much has been said about the fishing fraternity voting for a licence and therefore have control over how the money is spent.Be assured,as soon as the money is collected the Government will have full and total control and the only say we will have is maybe just before an election,particularly with this Government,I just dont trust them particularly at a time when they are broke,and are selling our assets for a few bucks and cancelling the fuel subsidy for a few more bucks.They have been and are the worst State Government we have ever had,but still they are voted in time after time,will we get a return for our licence money?FAT BLOODY CHANCE The Peter Beatie grin

Quote Originally Posted by albey View Post

Be assured,as soon as the money is collected the Government will have full and total control and the only say we will have is maybe just before an election,particularly with this Government,I just dont trust them particularly at a time when they are broke,and are selling our assets for a few bucks and cancelling the fuel subsidy for a few more bucks.They have been and are the worst State Government we have ever had,but still they are voted in time after time,will we get a return for our licence money?FAT BLOODY CHANCE The Peter Beatie grin
    If it was legislated THE SAME AS THE NSW model - The government CAN NOT spend it

At a time when our government REALLY HAS NO SURPLUS FUNDS - We need to look at ways of raising the funds ourselves. The revenue raised from the NSW license scheme GOES ON TOP OF THE DEPARTMENTS GENERAL BUDGET - AND CAN ONLY BE SPENT WITH APPROVAL FROM THE TRUST COMMITTEES

But hey - apparently the government has "promised" us $35 million

Or we can lobby to have our taxes paid back to us - because it is only fair - right

I'm going fishing - Scotto

Gaden was a good point in fact here, anglers money was used to bail the minister (the department) out after he stuffed up and chose to fund other matters first. Anglers do not own Gaden nor do they have any intellectual or lawful ownership or 'rights of any kind' over anything their money makes, I wonder if the Gaden funding was ongoing and I also wonder if 90% of licence owners would have freely chose to bail it out??

Pretty lucky the licence came along at exactly the right time to save the CRCs and fishery's research arms from cutbacks in funding, would like to see exactly what research each and every dollar went toward, the odds are high much of it went toward funding projects the state would have funded anyway but now no longer needs to as fishery's has a slush fund that keeps the boys jobs funded so long as they keep applying.

cheers fnq

totally aginst it..
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"