View Poll Results: Based on the NSW Model - Would you be in favour of a General Fishing Licence ?

Voters
202. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes - If implemented on the NSW Model

84 41.58%
  • No - I am Happy with the current Qld Fisheries management

100 49.50%
  • I will post my Alternative Below

18 8.91%
Page 10 of 46 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast

Thread: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Quote Originally Posted by honda900 View Post

Scott,

reading between the lines of this thread, you have posed yourself as a wannabe politician to represent the masses, unfortunately your agenda is not right. perhaps you should consider turning to the dark side and supporting the No vote.

Regards Honda
    Nothing could be further from the truth - BUT I will stand up for my rights to protect the resources that I enjoy more than anything else !

Never been one to sit around chat boards & boat ramps whinging & never afraid to voice "my" opinion

Regards Scotto
    Last edited by Scott Mitchell; 08-09-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Re: What are your thoughts on the idea of a General Recreational Fishing licence ?

Basicly Pinhead your asking for option 3 right? If your happy for it to take a few generations to grease the wheel under this current climate then sure. I say a few generations because we have already shown we are the whipping boys when it comes to the EPA and Gov't policy.

Cheers

Chris

P.S. Scott my previous post was a total hijack sorry. Or at least turning it in a new direction. If you want ill start a new thread.
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    This will be interesting reading

Regards Scotto
    The first thing that needs to be done is by disolving any political department (state or federal) involved with fisheries other than the one originally designed to manage the fisheries. This means getting rid of EPA and the GBRMPA initially and channeling those funds into the department that actually does do research. ie the DPI&F. It may not solve the problem, but its a good starting point.

A fishing licence remind's me of a clunker, visit supercheap buy some bling (pay money) fit the neon, SS peddles and some fluffy dice...yoo hoo a clunker that now emotionally appeals, good for him!, but it's still a clunker because the bits or the whole that make it a clunker where ignored.

i have no large stake in going fishing the rot already cast upon us has decreased what was once fishing (amentiy) to this degree, it's deliberate and the ideological aim behind fisherys management (GBRMPA and EPA yes they do, and Fisherys), if fishing went away so be it, if it becomes relegated toward the staus of a 82 model bling mobile so be it.

How will a fishing licence deal with the militancy and despotic attitude of GBRMPA and what return will the licence fee see from the EPA.

Until at it's MOST BASIC a licence can deal with GBRMPA, EPA and Fishery's on the same footing the concept can never be more than ignorant drivel or more usually in recreational circles, self serving drivel!

cheers fnq

As a NSW Cockroach I totally agree with all the 'nay' voters. Like we've been just reeling in bucketloads of fish since they introduced the NSW fishing licence, just like we've been winning the State of Origin series. Meahwhile we in NSW trust our state government and we're more than happy to help them through their bankruptcy and corrupt property development dealings by paying even more fees, land taxes, stamp duty and various licences -- as long as no more whistleblowers get whacked. And maybe the states could introduce more airport and travel taxes like the Feds if that helps. Like the last time I flew overseas my 18-month-old daughter was privileged to only pay 10% of the Qantas airfare as long as she 'lap-sat', which was about $100, and the govt put $215 tax on that so we had to pay $315 for her ticket -- no seat. And as there was little turbulence on the flight I put that down to the extra fees and taxes that we paid so I didn't mind. More fees and licences? Aarr me harties, pull the other leg, it's made of wood!

Hi all,

FYI - a state based license won't have any influence on the federally managed GBRMPA. That zoning and management is the key difference between NSW and QLD that there are two levels of Government involved in managing the fishery in our salt waters.

As for the Departments in QLD managing fisheries, don't forget we have SEQ water now involved in the management of freshwater with their idea for boat permits as well as their non consultation with rec fisherman completely in the new dam down Beaudesert way and thus no infrastructure for boating at that location.

We have stayed out of this debate for a while now but think it is time for an ECOfishers response. QLD is not going to have a license this year or maybe next but there is a program of regional management test projects being looked at which may or may not include any licensing in the future. ECOfishers has been invited to be a key stakeholder on this project. If the Government of the day says it is a done deal and we are getting a license system after the research has been done, then we need to be the holder of the keys to the safe; that part I agree with. I also agree that DPI&F should be funded properly to do its job and get support from other Departments such as tourism to assist rec fishing grow in QLD as it is massive dollars to our economy and needs to be respected as such.

I personally have an issue with user pays being the first answer though as we don't see cyclists paying for licenses to use our roads or footpaths. We don't see dog owners paying for off leash park areas, kids playgrounds don't have a paybox at the gate either. Their infrastructure is covered off in other income the Government receives. I think Governments have been negligent for too long in providing not only facilities but also research funding into fishing as it has always been the little bit on the side of primary industry.

That is why we need to have a multi focused plan in place. One to be on the committee's and let Sunfish know they are under pressure to deliver to Rec fisho's or get out of the way, two to lobby the Government to review their spending habits in relation to rec fishing, three is to be part of the bigger group of fisherman and work with pro/charter as well as tackle, boat makers etc and four to get individuals to assist in spreading the word and do the right thing by the environment and the fishery.

That is why we set up ECOfishers in QLD. Yes the website is low on info and we have a team working on that but most of us have spent more time in meetings with key players in this industry and within Government than writing of late and we are getting somewhere. I am happy to say if you guys that are passionate about this license issue want to join ECOfishers QLD and work together on a plan as the working group for this, please get in touch with us. We need for's and againsts to work on all aspects so IF we need to address this WE have already got one written in the best interests of our members - which is YOU the recreational fishing community.
    Cheers,
    Chris

The way the present government seems to be thinking is that if you have a tourist resort, charter business or at least an ABN you're worth listening to.

Money talks and they listen.

Rec fishers don't pay so they think 'who cares'. If rec fishers pay for use of a resource (fish) they will need to be listened to. If paying for a fishing permit is what it takes for the government to get off its arse and listening to rec fishers, then I'm all for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post

The first thing that needs to be done is by disolving any political department (state or federal) involved with fisheries other than the one originally designed to manage the fisheries. This means getting rid of EPA and the GBRMPA initially and channeling those funds into the department that actually does do research. ie the DPI&F. It may not solve the problem, but its a good starting point.
    And how would you propose this is implemented ?

Regards Scotto

Quote Originally Posted by Lovey80 View Post

P.S. Scott my previous post was a total hijack sorry. Or at least turning it in a new direction. If you want ill start a new thread.

Cheers Chris
    Thanks Chris - I would like this poll to run it's coarse as started. Although I sometimes wonder - 10 pages in & the same handful are still rambling on about the sames issues

Rec fisho's wonder why we continually get shafted - We can't ever get a consensus to pull in ANY direction at the same time - BUT look out if it ever happens

Regards Scotto

Well Scott,

In your view they are obviously rambling as they dont agree with you? great way to have a discussion isnt it.? you asked for opinions, asked people to put up their views and get off the fence and whine about those who beg to differ.

I didnt vote as the questions where all loaded.
    Tangles KFC

isn't that funny we are not pulling in any ONE direction as you so put it but you are another person with an agenda that wants us to go the way you want and if we don't then we don't pull in any ONE direction .
    I am so over the suggestion that we have to pay to use what we already own do you get it we already OWN IT why should we pay
    and I thought Andy was making sense instead of having DPI ,GBRMPA and EPA or DERM as it is now called just have DPI
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

rambling are we scott? well how about answering the many questions I have asked or does that make it too difficult to back up your plans.

and you are still whinging on a chat board and rambling on about adding another Govt tax.

Scott..tell me any one group that does all agree..if so they must just be a bunch of brain dead lemmings. Or perhaps you are looking for a part time job..get a few bucks from the Govt???

so once again..how much comes in from licenses in NSW ???

recreational salt water fishing license = another tax.

Quote Originally Posted by Aigutso View Post

Well Scott,

In your view they are obviously rambling as they dont agree with you? great way to have a discussion isnt it.? you asked for opinions, asked people to put up their views and get off the fence and whine about those who beg to differ.

I didnt vote as the questions where all loaded.
    I do not see how the questions can be viewed as loaded ?

And if you read through all that has been said - It's the same arguments ,worded differently each time .This can't be done because the government cannot be trusted, is corrupt , mismanaged etc,etc ?

I am not happy with how the current state of play is geared towards recreational anglers in Qld. I do not see the government offering to give recreational anglers more money for better management - I could be wrong here ?

So if we can't get funding from the current system - how do we raise it ?

I am a realist - NOT a Pessimism

Regards Scotto

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Mitchell View Post
    And how would you propose this is implemented ?

Regards Scotto
    Well I suggest we do the opposite to what was done to create these departments, and that is lobby the government for change. Will it happen? Well I dont know. But the greens lobbied for it and got it, so you cant say its impossible.

there we go again..if we disagree we are pessimists..amazing debating skills.

How about joining a lobby group that may make them spend some of the money they already get from us.

I am a realist also and adding another tax is definitely not the way to go.

here are some examples:
    If we make everyone pay an ambulance levy we will have a great service...yeah right!!
    If we let competition into the electricity industry the consumer will get lower prices..yeah right!!

There are only 2 examples of the crap we have been fed by this Govt..let alone the water grid..that is another good one...and you honestly believe they would be forthright with fees from a license..hahahaha...look out..pigs are about to take off.