Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    only if you roll me a smoke.....
    Done deal
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Thanks Nath

I actually do strike to one side at about 45 deg - Trev seems to feel that could be part of my problem ( so i'm working on a straight up striking technique)

Chris
    Chris,

I had the same diagnosis from the good doctor myself earlier this year. "think about where the hook point is......."

Some things I am trying to concentrate at the moment are:

Staying in contact (or just off) with the lure depending on technique.
    Rod and body/arm/foot positioning to help me "off the mark" when striking.
    Trying to keep my mind focussed on the retrieve and not having those "oh #@%$ that was just a bump, missed it" moments - hardest of the lot after dozens and dozens of retrieves.
    I am starting to also think that different techniques requires different types of striking - eg. I have found on frogs that I just let the S10 load up and all is good, whereas some others work better with striking - still developing this line of thought - more to learn

Cheers,

Kev
    Last edited by Barraholic; 03-09-2009 at 08:02 PM. Reason: delete repeated words

Quote Originally Posted by Barraholic View Post
    Chris,

I had the same diagnosis from the good doctor myself earlier this year. "think about where the hook point is......."

Some things I am trying to concentrate at the moment are:

Staying in contact (or just off) with the lure depending on technique.
    Rod and body/arm/foot positioning to help me "off the mark" when striking.
    Trying to keep my mind focussed on the retrieve and not having those "oh #@%$ that was just a bump, missed it" moments - hardest of the lot after dozens and dozens of retrieves.
    I am starting to also think that different techniques requires different types of striking - eg. I have found on frogs that I just let the S10 load up and all is good, whereas some others work better with striking - still developing this line of thought - more to learn

Cheers,

Kev
    Its an interesting topic (strike technique) - Trevs idea has merit

However ..... from my understanding the top of the mouth is the hardest part. Then doesn't a barra turn on the inhale ....... which would suggest that a sideways strike would have a likelihood of finding the hinge. Also if you think about it - the strike would lay the hook point over toward the strike direction.

I don't know , what is right or wrong

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Chris,

I think what Trev would suggest would probably be the best for us relative newbies to plastics...strike and strike fast!!!!....works for him..I found that worked the other day, even though the fish seemed to be inhaling the lures anyway.

Only lost fish was underwater, not spat above.
    Sharp hooks...even if you have to change your jighead every now and then...particularly if you have had a few snags.

cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Chris,

I think what Trev would suggest would probably be the best for us relative newbies to plastics...strike and strike fast!!!!....works for him..I found that worked the other day, even though the fish seemed to be inhaling the lures anyway.

Only lost fish was underwater, not spat above.
    Sharp hooks...even if you have to change your jighead every now and then...particularly if you have had a few snags.

cheers Steve
    stevie, easy to sharpen than replace, dont ya think.. .and cheaper..(sorry foxie).little tickle on the stone....yes especially after a snag..
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    stevie, easy to sharpen than replace, dont ya think.. .and cheaper..(sorry foxie).little tickle on the stone....yes especially after a snag..
    deano..
    Sorry Deano, I mean just replace them on the run, and sharpen the used ones later on!!! but you can sharpen them as you go I spose...probably easier too...dumb ass I am

Steve

Depends how quick you can cut one off and re-tie a loopy Stevo. I'll back the file anyday. Plus it is easier. hey Deano, I have the red file, must be the one for the rust water with bigger hooks???

Did Benny get hold of you?

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Quote Originally Posted by Big_Ren View Post
    Depends how quick you can cut one off and re-tie a loopy Stevo. I'll back the file anyday. Plus it is easier. hey Deano, I have the red file, must be the one for the rust water with bigger hooks???

Did Benny get hold of you?

Cheers
    Paul

hey paul, the blue is the next grade down, red is fine...yep spoke to benny , cheers..
    deano.....
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

I like the file idea Even though I always use new sharp jig heads - Its easy enough to just touch the point up every now & then ........ Good one Deano
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Sorry Deano, I mean just replace them on the run, and sharpen the used ones later on!!! but you can sharpen them as you go I spose...probably easier too...dumb ass I am

Steve
    Diamond file always handy there not scalpels Stevo just file 'em don't toss 'em.

Nagg I note the nice Chartreuse tail on Trev's plastic.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Diamond file always handy there not scalpels Stevo just file 'em don't toss 'em.

Nagg I note the nice Chartreuse tail on Trev's plastic.
    Straight out of the pack Daryl ...... not dipped
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I'm really interested to hear about the techniques people think work in their favour to help convert these bumps into fish. Since a lot has been said on striking I am assuming that as soon as even the slightest touch is felt, that the mojority of people are striking?

Nagg mentioned that a lure was stopped after a few bumps which was converted into a hookup. This is a technique that I nomrally employ automatically although I cannot vouch for it's success, like I said it's automatic. To me striking hard on a very slight bump may mean pulling the lure out of the immediate strike zone and could possibly spook the fish. On the flip side a lure suddenly ripping away could entice the barra to attack. Being raised on bream and trout, ripping a lure away is exactly not what I do which is why I think I'm more inclined to stop the lure, if anything. Any thoughts on what are the better tactics that an angler could employ for barra bumps?

Shaun

Quote Originally Posted by park View Post
    I'm really interested to hear about the techniques people think work in their favour to help convert these bumps into fish. Since a lot has been said on striking I am assuming that as soon as even the slightest touch is felt, that the mojority of people are striking?

Nagg mentioned that a lure was stopped after a few bumps which was converted into a hookup. This is a technique that I nomrally employ automatically although I cannot vouch for it's success, like I said it's automatic. To me striking hard on a very slight bump may mean pulling the lure out of the immediate strike zone and could possibly spook the fish. On the flip side a lure suddenly ripping away could entice the barra to attack. Being raised on bream and trout, ripping a lure away is exactly not what I do which is why I think I'm more inclined to stop the lure, if anything. Any thoughts on what are the better tactics that an angler could employ for barra bumps?

Shaun
    I guess it all depends on what frame of mind the barra is in
    Sometimes you will get 2 or 3 goes before you get the fish
    Often it only 1 shot
    So I got into the habit & striking at everything ( sticks , trees , weed ) - They really are a fascinating fish - but its not always just a little tap ..... Its often a hard thump which you feel through the rod ..... here they can hook themselves but at other times you just get a chaffed leader ........ Its these hits that you scratch your head & ask yourself -"How the hell did I not hook up?"

I do chuckle when you wave to someone , scratch yourself , turn around etc during the retrieve & you get it ....... That little change , pause whatever entices a strike ( I should incorporate that in every retrieve )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Straight out of the pack Daryl ...... not dipped
    Some observations of mine from last weeks 3 sessions:

Photo 1 is a 6" storm straight from the packet(not dipped) and a stinger attached.... hookup in the outside corner and the lure practically dropped out of its mouth once in the net with the pressure released. also note this is from a pack we got in bundy last muster but from the dreaded new blister packs....hook is still perfectly good with no deformation even after this 121 piglet tried its best...could be that Kims AlphasF, even with greased carbontex drag, has a only a moderate "barra" drag of approx 3kg max. which is about all we usually run anyway. the thumb can add some extra if needed but care needed as only using 30lb braid to 60lb leader, no Bimini twist, just a basic triple granny formed double to bulk the leader connection(slim beauty of course). Never had this combination fail on me.

Photo 2: same scenario, corner jaw hook but this time on the stinger and from inside its gob, 130mm squidgie pro range slickie(the light main hook appears undamaged from the load placed on it by the stinger. Pliers used to remove but easily done with a light tug. This was only a 1m fish and with little structure around I didn't need to horse it hard but using 50lb braid and 60lb leader on a 15kg rod and souped up zillion drag this fish came to the boat relatively quickly.

Photo 3: one of Steves many hookups. the pattern was, usually deep and usually well hooked. Steve caught the most fish on the 3 sessions we fished together and had only a few missed strikes and only 1 corner jaw hookup.

All my hookups were in the corner jaw, no dropped fish and at least half a dozen missed strikes....2 while looking at something else while mindlessly winding. even more annoying when the leader comes back scuffed 6 inches up from the jighead....and worse still when its a particularly large bait with a dirty big 8/0 backbone hook in it...

What I read from this....My striking needs work....too slow, some luck got me fish. also need to pay attention to the retrieve, every single retrieve could be the one that gets the hit. Speed of retrieve may or may not have played a role in the hook up rate and we may never really know if that was a major factor on the day, I did pay particular attention to what Steve was doing and made some adjustments to my own techniques to match....then varied from one cast to another in an attempt to mix it up a bit. tried to lock in the data from each hookup but as most know....when the hit happens, some of the subtle detail can be quickly forgotten while in the throws of the tussle. I tried to keep mental notes of what I was doing on "That" retrieve but not always managed to store it. I do remember giving some lip to someone when the Piglet hit me hard....and I finished the serve before adding it might be an alright fish!
    Many variables, but I reckon the basics need to be at least grasped and given a good shake before going too far in other directions. Good solid basics will get the job done, just need to work on them some more for me.

...but tinkering is still fun!

Cheers Roo.

P.S. I know what you about bream....but these things will shoot a lure out from wayyyyy deep...i reckon my hookups on the day were on their way out when my(slow reaction) strike managed to find home. I prefer to hold the rod tip straight at the lure and strike up and hard, I'm going to try holding the rod tip at a higher angle for a while to see if the rod can be a better used to assist the strike.

Think its funny how we're on page 2 of this thread, and the old filestone only just gets a good mention now? From my point of view (parden pun), a sharp hook is at the top of the list. If your chucking a lure around (particuarly Hardbody lures) with trebles on them that are even slightly blunt then you really are setting yourself up for a fall. I carry a filestone in my pocket everytime I fish, and the puncture marks on the soft part of my thumbs and forefingers don't lie. Replacing hooks as mentioned above is a good idea... sharperning them and saving a few minutes of valuable fishing time even better.

Go back 3 or 4 years when a place like Awoonga was on fire and fish were nailing lures and maybe then could you have gotten away with half arsed hooks. In 2009 where our impoundments are feeling the pinch of the masses that fish them, most fish having been 'stung' in their life leaves means they are always going to have that thought about being 'stung' again in the back of their mind - true? They see plenty of different lures each year, ignore most and the ones they do intercept better have sharp hooks and a ready angler on the end of that line.

Simple thinking. You can talk as much as you like about where your feet are, what leader your using, where your mind is etc etc... crawl before walk!

Just my thoughts. Interesting thread to see where some of you boys are at.

Cheers
    Theo
    TT