Page 1 of 14 1234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

OK ...... right now - this is the most frustrating thing for me in barra fishing ( & probably for more than a few others)........ most noticeable when fishing a soft plastic .

We find the fish & we get the interest - - So how do we all go about converting those nips , taps , swipes to a solid hook up ?

What do you usually do ?

Slow your retrieve
    Quicken your retrieve
    Change retrieve style
    Change to a smaller lure ( or larger)
    Add a stinger
    Drop down in leader size or length
    Other
    Slash your wrists ( just kidding)

Do nothing

Do you check your leader for abrasion ........ were you slow to strike ? ....... unlike many forms of fishing the quick reflexes in a strike is often critical .
    What other things can we look for ....... that might give us a clue to the reason ?

Its an interesting but mostly unspoken subject ........ how can we improve our conversion rate (get that hook up)

Look forward to your responses

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Chris
    I was having that problem something fierce!! Esp with small trebles like thos on say a small bomber. Alot of my winter style hard bodies dont have as large trebles as do the summer deeper lures and i think that was half my problem. So i switched to the B52 and ran slightly larger trebles, seemed to improve things. Another option would be to lose the middle treble on a bomber (small bomber) run a chem sharp single on the ass, perhaps add a split shot if needed. Alotof my taps were turned to hookup but first or second jump almost always threw the lure at me. Got a good feeling about a single.... just need to find a shop around here that sells them with the turned eye.
    Plastics? perhaps scent to change their mind about inhaling and exhaling the placcy?
    maybe they will think hmm taste good...a split second of thought on the barra behalf could be all thats needed for the hookup? im guessing....
    Cya soon mate! put the juice int he boat today...new reels arrived.. got some new placcies and minnows......gettin excited now!

Thoughts processes working hard Chris, getting close to the muster for you guys.
    Have a great time and look forward to all the post muster info for those of that couldn't make it.

Think everyone at sometime has gone through the majority of them. No easy cure, just fish by fish. Hope they don't learn as quick as us though. My thoughts process seem to slow with age, just reckon it take longer to go through all the variants. By then the fish is long gone.

Just been into that new big Lolly shop at Coffs, its looking great and boy is it big. Lots of space for all the gear. Opening early Oct or thereabouts.

Regards

Trev
    Fish for the future, enjoy the present but think of your children.

Was it Steve B that pondered in another thread that the nips and taps on SP's could be catfish?

Slightly off topic but is there an increase in dropped fish during summer when u guys are fishing points and predominately shallower water due to the fishes tendency to jump?

Or is there no relation to shallow water and aerial displays ??

If so, what is a method (rod angle?) to minimise jumping.

Pete.

Pete when i got each and every tap...i saw 100 liters of water roll over for about a minute.....not catties in my cases.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete62 View Post
    Was it Steve B that pondered in another thread that the nips and taps on SP's could be catfish?

Slightly off topic but is there an increase in dropped fish during summer when u guys are fishing points and predominately shallower water due to the fishes tendency to jump?

Or is there no relation to shallow water and aerial displays ??

If so, what is a method (rod angle?) to minimise jumping.

Pete.
    Hi Pete

firstly ..... high rod angle if you want them to jump ( say when in the timber)

Low rod angles to keep em down

Catties ......... sometimes Pete for sure
    But other times you can actually feel the draw of the lure ( inhale).
    other times you can get a faint tap & its definitely a barra - Trev landed one at Mondy a couple of weeks back that gave him 2 little taps in 2 consecutive casts ....... as they were quite near to the boat while the placcy was rising through the water column - you would think catty The next cast he got the tap - stopped the lure & got weight Attachment 50825 ....check the place of hookup.

This whole thing for me is usually when fishing points & shallow flats - Now I might be retrieving too fast ( avoiding fouling )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

chris, again , good topic..like in the pic you just put up (face hookup)..pretty tuff spot to set a hook or treble,and so many taps could be just a" face wack" so the importance of a sticky sharp hook is parramount.. i sharpen every hook or treble out of the box, weather it be owner trebs, or singles, even down to whiting gear..sticky gets stuck...the best hook sharpener i have found is an "easy lap" diamond honer...they come in different color coded grits...the blue one is super fine..gets them super sharp...
    deano..
    God put me on earth to accomplish
    a certain number of things,
    right now i am so far behind
    i will never die.

What about a side ways strike rather then a direct one only problem is 50/50 chance it could be the wrong way?

Run a stinger in your soft plastics maybe

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    What about a side ways strike rather then a direct one only problem is 50/50 chance it could be the wrong way?
    true nath.....take a punt.... ...told you to hit it left you wobblehead.....
    i will never die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Thanks Nath

I actually do strike to one side at about 45 deg - Trev seems to feel that could be part of my problem ( so i'm working on a straight up striking technique)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by culbara View Post
    Run a stinger in your soft plastics maybe
    Every now & then I do ......... but I'm still undecided if it has some other downside ( action etc)

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by DEANO68 View Post
    chris, again , good topic..like in the pic you just put up (face hookup)..pretty tuff spot to set a hook or treble,and so many taps could be just a" face wack" so the importance of a sticky sharp hook is parramount.. i sharpen every hook or treble out of the box, weather it be owner trebs, or singles, even down to whiting gear..sticky gets stuck...the best hook sharpener i have found is an "easy lap" diamond honer...they come in different color coded grits...the blue one is super fine..gets them super sharp...
    deano..
    Hey Deano

Can you sharpen my hooks next Sunday ....... just to show me

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Keep um coming fella's i need to pick up all these tips & any others,,,, havn't had a great deal of Barra experience & learning heaps of you bloke's........

Heading to mondy late Nov still plenty of time to pick up some good trick's......

Might be able to repay you bloke's one day with some Cod tip's (or my son might)

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hey Deano

Can you sharpen my hooks next Sunday ....... just to show me

Chris
    only if you roll me a smoke.....
    i will never die.