Thread: Fishing at Blue Mountains

Fishing at Blue Mountains

hey all
    just wondering if there was any fishing spots at the Blue Mountains? im heading up that way for a few days for a family holiday

Thanks
    Matt

Re: Fishing at Blue Mountains

Hi mate, when I was a kid I used to fish for trout with my dad at Wentworth falls Dam which is just before Katoomba and Oberon Dam which is about an hour or 40 odd kms after Katoomba. I think Oberon would be the pick spot. Google it. - Richard

Thompson Creek Dam is ok too.

Mate, Lake Lyell just East of Lithgow is a great Trout Fishery.

Cheers, Mick

G'Day Mate, cut my teeth on Oberon Dam- its not really in "The blue mountains" but it is a fantastic spot to cast lures for trout. It has holdings of both Rainbow's and Browns.
    There are 2 main access points to the Dam- Kelly's Lane and The Reef. They both provide public access and parking areas. You can walk around the whole dam from either of these at the moment, because it i so low (would take ages though). I think it is only at about 10% and its the lowest I have ever seen it.
    Baltic Minnows, Tassie Devils and Lofty's Cobras all work well on a slow retrieve. I like to walk the banks and cast at a 45 degree angle whilt keeping an eye out for trout rising or slurpping in close. This method has seen up to seven fish caught in a single session. Celtas also work at dawn or dusk.
    On the bait side of things, mudeyes under a bubble are deadly! Scrub worms, power bait and good old corn kurnells have all caught me fish in the past as well!
    The best flies to fish are the Mrs Simpson, Craigs night times and the Woolly Bugger. A dead slow "Take a hand full and drop" style retrieve with a Mrs Simpson on after dark in the shallows off Kelly's Lane is deadly- and fun as anything!!!
    Good Luck, Pod.