Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

reading back over that post i probably just jinxed myself....stay tuned for the one that got away story next week

On the original topic, one thing we have experimented a lot with is hook rigs for threadfin salmon, they feed similar to barra but are generally much harder to hook and stay connected to, they will grab a multitude of lures like barra do the main point of difference is the hook rigs needed which call for flexible connecting cable moulded inside the lures.

A salmons spitting reflexes are incredible and with very soft tissue surrounding hard bony bits the standard single hook in a plastic will see you fishless a lot of the time, one of my faviourite new methods is what I call the loaded eyelet, fish boofs the lure and the 80lb braid which holds the hooks comes loose, you may need 200 for huge barra, the lure can be cast with the hook trailing the eyes or the line can be coiled up and tied in place with cotton or a rubber band.

As far as stinger rigs go the lure in the pic a ###### is not made for barra its a sharp action vibe itll catch barra when there in the mood to hunt things down, there will soon be a barra model which will feature the same traps, the main changes are the buoyancy and action at slow speeds, the same 135lb 49 strand wire which connects the 2 sets of hooks is moulded within the highest quality silcone body, the idea of the very flexible wire running through the plastic joining the hooks is the spring like action you get when the fish takes the lure, it is very hard for fish to spit these things out without picking up a hook, totally unlike a hardbody lure anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by setthehook View Post
    for me i think of it mathamaticlly, Does the probable amount of bite offs out weigh the probable extra hookups due to the lighter trace. And with bite offs being so rare (for me sofar) i think the lighter will always end with more fish on the carpet. And if one day I lose a fish and lure, im prepared to take that as its way overdue lol
    Thats pretty well how I look at life , not just fishing

It took me close to 3 years to land an exceptional barra (excess of 110cm) - during that period there were around a dozen fish that were lost that would have exceeded that mark ........ guess what , those little things like leader size , hook upgrades , split rings all came back to haunt me.
    I can tell you Rob ..... I would love to fish lighter leaders (I'm already down in line class) _ Its just my probables - eventuate .

But hey every now & then - I cast away with my bass gear ..... just for the challenge.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Rods in rod holders hook fish every day and nobody strikes with them. From this observation I now hold my rod tip up high during a retrieve so when the barra strikes it bends the rod and the recoil in the rod sets the hook much faster than my reflexes ever could. Whereas if you hold your rod low during a retrieve, when the fish hits it smacks straight into drag and doesn't bend the rod at all so you have to do all the work. Also noted that if you use a slower taper rod you get better hook up, possibly because when the barra strikes the rod bends and allows the lure to be inhaled further giving it more time to find something to stick into. Have started using my crankbait for soft plastics and not the harder imx and glx rods and have noted a reduced casting distance but a better hook up rate and landing rate at present. Also using lighter 5-7kg spin rods and having better hook up rates. All this obviously only works if you hold your rod up to allow the rod to bend during the strike.
    Cheers, scott.
    That recoil idea is a good one, these lures are designed around the same idea, letting the fish pin itself often before the strike is even registered, giving the fish a certain density of rubber and weight that it can hold onto but also thru that action of holding or sucking it in the lure becomes like a coil spring, the fish do not have full control over the lures once they have a hold on them

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    From memory you are using some pretty flash wind on jobbies while most of us have reverted to single strand?
    Hi Daryl ...... I noticed that Rob was still using single strand but in a wind on format ( Goodger leaders) - sweet wind ons , if you can get your hands on them

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO