Page 9 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post

I think Trev's on the ball with what he wrote but it does lead to what I was thinking about last night and that is - 'Are you able to produce a similar reflex to a hit as you get with the patellar reflex (knee jerk reaction). Perhaps not by the same pathways but the result being the same.

I ask this because as mentioned before sometimes, when you are on the ball the strike can seem to come as a direct response to a bump with the brain not a part of the equation.

What would you need to do to train the muscles to react in such a way (Lyndon your ball), how many reps, how many fish, how many times a week?
    Short answer no mate.

Long answer here it is. But this may take a while before this gets related back to fishing but bear with me it will happen.

Reflexes such as a knee jerk is a stretch reflex, stretch receptors within the tendon are activated, send a msg to the spinal cord then the spinal cord sends a msg to the quads to contract = knee jerk response. These are similar to what is called an extensor response, happens when you stand on something sharp with one foot, notice how your "affected"side flexes (knee and hip) and your other side extends, this enables it to hold your weight better and hence help you avoid the noxious stimulus. Now they say that these reflexes are not modulated by the brain (the driver for all things sport) however in someone with a spinal cord injury you will notice an increase in the reflex (hyperreflexia). This is because the brain does dampen down our reflexes as we get older and realise that we don't need them. Have a look at child, nudge its cheek and see it turn its head towards you seeking for food. Pull a child to sit (between 3-6months) and see what happens with their head. Now these are all reflexes that have an impact on our lives, moving, talking and feeding and these get incorporated into our everyday lives and activities. Amazingly in people with aquired brain injuries some of these primitive relfexes come to the fore again, proving that they are always with us. Unfortunately these reflexes are "hardwired" into our brain and hence we can't slot in a fish striking one. Though maybe there is a kid out there with one.... Talent identification.... what exercise would that require???

Now to fishing. You will never get as good at striking fish as a knee jerk reflex. However with the old 10000 reps remedy I believe that you can develop a training response that will enable quicker reaction times coupled with all the stuff the Lyndon has mentioned previously. Stretch receptors will become more sensitised and result in greater "feel" and hence quicker transmission to the spinal cord, up to the brain, brain says strike, strike msg travels down the spinal cord out to the muscle, muscle contracts, fish hooked, look at mate and say "Yep" mate says "%#k yeah doggie"... and so on. But it would be a plastic response I would say, muscles only need 12 hours before they waste away... However a trained response is easier to "retrain" than an untrained athlete. (its easier to get Simon Black to run a 14 level beep after 5 years of him not doing anything than it is to get Kevin Rudd in the same situation) Moral of the story. Spend 5 years on a barra dam fishing every day and you'll be sweet.

The more we talk about this the more I sometimes feel that we are missing some simple things. Thinner diameter line will mean less water pressure, less line bowing = greater direct contact with the lure.

Another thing on the hardbodies that has been annoying me for a while when compared with sp's. What do you think the effect of the bib has on it during a strike?? Surely it would create a target that is "more resistant" to movement than a plastic and result in a larger "inertia" to pin the hooks. I haven't used flaps but would be interested to hear people that have and the hook up rates with that. But then hook up rates could depend also on hook coverage. Complex game that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    Short answer no mate.

Another thing on the hardbodies that has been annoying me for a while when compared with sp's. What do you think the effect of the bib has on it during a strike?? Surely it would create a target that is "more resistant" to movement than a plastic and result in a larger "inertia" to pin the hooks. I haven't used flaps but would be interested to hear people that have and the hook up rates with that. But then hook up rates could depend also on hook coverage. Complex game that one.
    Dont you think that the heavier weight moving through the water column under line tension of a plastic would offer a greater level of resistence than a twitched paused HB ????

I feel that a twitched / hopped paused plastic will fish much better than a slow rolled one ......... not quite as good as a HB ( with lots of points) - but better!
    Water resistance & line tension just may play it role too ..... when it come to the inhalation of a barra strike

Chris

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Pack ya ear plugs mate, I dont need to tell you that the dodgy so and so snores like a chainsaw!
    And Brian, if i may add, like a V8 CHAINSAW, I was always the first up in the camp on the two trips i had with Chris, Man you should be in the tent just to be able to see how the tent sucks in and then balloons out, trulely amazing stuff

Team Berkley, now official, Chris, congratulations for having Trev select you to partner him in the coming tour, well done You have big shoes to fill mate, Scotty (Vet) is one of the best barra men on this earth and to have Trev ask you to fill the vacant spot is an absolute honour.

I will not be supprised if you two score very highly and end up being in the top finishers

All the very best team Berkley, i will be watching with great interest.

Cheers,
    John.

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    And Brian, if i may add, like a V8 CHAINSAW, I was always the first up in the camp on the two trips i had with Chris, Man you should be in the tent just to be able to see how the tent sucks in and then balloons out, trulely amazing stuff

Team Berkley, now official, Chris, congratulations for having Trev select you to partner him in the coming tour, well done You have big shoes to fill mate, Scotty (Vet) is one of the best barra men on this earth and to have Trev ask you to fill the vacant spot is an absolute honour.

I will not be supprised if you two score very highly and end up being in the top finishers

Cheers,
    John.
    Thanks john

I actually do feel that it is a honour to be fishing the ABT with Trev ........ aside from getting on together , there is enough competitive spirit & communication to allow us to work together........... We can feed off each other & hopefully that can translate to results......... We fish differently & that may be the big plus!!!! ..... I'll be just as happy netting & photographing a fish for Trev as if it was my own

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    Gentlemen as we can see Chris has a lot to learn after all he is just a Sydney bream fisherman But l must say he has had a lucky streak so far.. I for one gave him no chance of doing well in the barra tour last year….Well if you look at the results he beat me…! With all these questions that he keeps asking and his thirst for knowledge who knows where it will end up… What needs to happen is for me to take him under my wing show him the error of his ways So that’s the plan 2009 Barra Tour….. Team Berkley… So please continue to probe his answers,,, Question his motives and teach him as much as you can because he shall be on the boat with me .. because what he learns l shall learn too ! Bring on the tour
    Sounds like Team Berkley will be a force to be reckoned with. Two blokes who put as much thought and effort into their fishing as you blokes do will be bloody hard to beat. Hope it goes well for you both.

Birko

Quote Originally Posted by birko View Post
    Sounds like Team Berkley will be a force to be reckoned with. Two blokes who put as much thought and effort into their fishing as you blokes do will be bloody hard to beat. Hope it goes well for you both.

Birko
    Can you give us some tips from up your way

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Another thing on the hardbodies that has been annoying me for a while when compared with sp's. What do you think the effect of the bib has on it during a strike?? Surely it would create a target that is "more resistant" to movement than a plastic and result in a larger "inertia" to pin the hooks. I haven't used flaps but would be interested to hear people that have and the hook up rates with that. But then hook up rates could depend also on hook coverage. Complex game that one

That would be the pressure required to move the lure off it's intended force?

To calculate pressure you have to divide force by surface area. If I am understanding this right the lure with the greatest surface area would require less force to divert it......or if you need to take account of all the water as well that is diverted in the suck then the speed required is determined by density, the less dense the less suck required. A hard body weighs less and has much more surface area, it should be easier to suck in.........I reckon

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post

Cheers,
    John.
    John thanks for that...Some may ask why Scotty and I are not doing it again ? He had decided to retire from the ABT but that was before he got a AFC spot ..He is still undecided about doing the tour again this year .Anyway Chris and I are locked in.. oh XXXX large earplugs on order

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    John thanks for that...Some may ask why Scotty and I are not doing it again ? He had decided to retire from the ABT but that was before he got a AFC spot ..He is still undecided about doing the tour again this year .Anyway Chris and I are locked in.. oh XXXX large earplugs on order
    Ahhh falling asleep to the dulcet tones of a diesel engine
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Dear Oh! Dear Oh! Dear!.... I know you won't have any trouble working out Barra patterns Trev....But your Sleep patterns are going to be shot to bits....there goes the reflexes.....My suggestions Make sure you sleep at least a 100mts in any direction from the Human Chainsaw....This bloke could be used for a Cyclone Warning Siren.....Other than that I wish you both well in the ABT.....Cheers Whitto
    Good Mates....Good Food.....Good Fishing....Priceless

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Dear Oh! Dear Oh! Dear!.... I know you won't have any trouble working out Barra patterns Trev....But your Sleep patterns are going to be shot to bits....there goes the reflexes.....My suggestions Make sure you sleep at least a 100mts in any direction from the Human Chainsaw....This bloke could be used for a Cyclone Warning Siren.....Other than that I wish you both well in the ABT.....Cheers Whitto

The pot shouldn't call the kettle black ........ I heard that we did a duet back a few month ago at the comittee meeting
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

yes i dont know how they sleep near him at the mnuster rob settlehook must have gone home for a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

whitto love the art work nice have to call you and nath and brian the barra in arms brothers

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    The pot shouldn't call the kettle black ........ I heard that we did a duet back a few month ago at the comittee meeting
    Be that as it may.......I do not cause my Tent to vibrate on Exhalation and Inhalation.....I run a poor second.....Granted I have been known to chop a bit of timber......But you Chop....Wood chip it.......and very nearly cause it to ignite......now if you can convert that to catching Barra you will win

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    whitto love the art work nice have to call you and nath and brian the barra in arms brothers
    Were all Brothers and Sister in Arms I would have thought.....well thats how I see it