Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    hahahaha, me thinks you put way too much importance upon yourself. I never took you for a conspiracy theorist.

Truly 'Basser, and with all due respect,have another look at that comment.
    I assume your tongue in cheek ( but we all know what happens when someone assumes)

Otherwise I believe your taking pot shots from the bleachers, with a minimal amount of constructive input to the thread.

brian

Just another thought I was toying over when away I noticed and Deano and I decided to try is short leader, does over flexed longer leaders (3 to 4 foot)offer less chance of a good connection yet smaller ones (1 to 2 foot) give up the ghost with the braid knott so close and colourful braid within eye shot of hungry Barra????

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Just another thought I was toying over when away I noticed and Deano and I decided to try is short leader, does over flexed longer leaders (3 to 4 foot)offer less chance of a good connection yet smaller ones (1 to 2 foot) give up the ghost with the braid knott so close and colourful braid within eye shot of hungry Barra????

I was yarning to a bloke in the camp ground before heading out one morn who has 1000 times more time on the water useing S.P.'s than me mate, and he squizzed my rod length leader with softy attached, and reckoned "shorten it up".
    Good enuf for me.
    Interesting re the braid color.
    I use the Bionic. Like it for the suppleness, hi vis out of the water when chasing a fish and guessing line angles, but also red (pink) is the first color to disappear in the water colum?

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    I was yarning to a bloke in the camp ground before heading out one morn who has 1000 times more time on the water useing S.P.'s than me mate, and he squizzed my rod length leader with softy attached, and reckoned "shorten it up".
    Good enuf for me.
    Interesting re the braid color.
    I use the Bionic. Like it for the suppleness, hi vis out of the water when chasing a fish and guessing line angles, but also red (pink) is the first color to disappear in the water colum?
    Yup Short for me too. I have mine just short enough so that the connection knot is outside of the tip guide but not so long that its difficult to cast..about 500mm in total... used the same piece of leader all trip....and previous. By the end it was down to about 200mm and still getting interest. I think the short leader helps casting distance and never had a Knot fail even though you can feel it running over fins and spines as the fish twists and turns. I use the dark green Whiplash Braid in 30lb. It is still quite fine so I have to double it to bulk up the Slim beauty knot I use. It is harder to follow tho', especially in low light....or when i forget to take my glasses with me

Cheers Roo.

i use about 35cm leader and a decoy egg snap on the lure. has worked fine so far.

So to take this on a tangent (oops, that never happens now does it??), Im interested in others thoughts on braid colors.
    My personal choice is the Bionic Pink, for reasons as stated. Ive fished with the smoke grey Daiwa TD, and struggled with line position during a retrieve, or hook up. If Im struggling to see it, does this mean the barra are to, and as such, advantage to me the angler? Or does the limited visual prescence of the natural colored braid offer a disadvantage to me, because it is more difficult to see in the "heat of battle"? I have my theories, what about you guys and gals?

Braid colours hey ....... For barra - I've had great sessions on fluoro yellow Nitlon , Blue Nitlon , Grey Bionic & red Berkley code red ....... The one biggest improvement came when I dropped down from 50lb - 40 & down to 30lb. ..... much more interest.

I honestly dont think that braid colour makes any significant difference.

I just wish I could get away with fishing 50lb leader

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

So to take this on a tangent (oops, that never happens now does it??), Im interested in others thoughts on braid colors.
    My personal choice is the Bionic Pink, for reasons as stated. Ive fished with the smoke grey Daiwa TD, and struggled with line position during a retrieve, or hook up. If Im struggling to see it, does this mean the barra are to, and as such, advantage to me the angler? Or does the limited visual prescence of the natural colored braid offer a disadvantage to me, because it is more difficult to see in the "heat of battle"? I have my theories, what about you guys and gals?
    Braid colours hey ....... For barra - I've had great sessions on fluoro yellow Nitlon , Blue Nitlon , Grey Bionic & red Berkley code red ....... The one biggest improvement came when I dropped down from 50lb - 40 & down to 30lb. ..... much more interest.

I honestly dont think that braid colour makes any significant difference.

I just wish I could get away with fishing 50lb leader

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Yeah Braid colour well I threw it in there I don't think they make much difference and nup don't think line class make any diff either well not in Mondy anyway. when ya got 80lb leaders tied to a HB or weighted Sp braid size has already be tossed out the window.

What about water clarity? does that change you approach?

Yeah Braid colour well I threw it in there I don't think they make much difference and nup don't think line class make any diff either well not in Mondy anyway. when ya got 80lb leaders tied to a HB or weighted Sp braid size has already be tossed out the window.

What about water clarity? does that change you approach?

Certainly would on leader size, thickness, visibility, light refraction etc etc.

Fortunately? weve been fishing in Pea Soup for the lat 2 years, and I havent had to think that hard lol.

I stuggle to fish anything less than 80 leader after a series of rub offs and chaffe thrus.
    HOWEVER, I am putting together another outfit - Abu Revo with 20, that I will fish with 50 or 60 leader, and a new stick Im still playing with, intent to get longer casts on lighter presentations, nuthin earth shattering there, but a step away from my much loved short sticks and 30 or 50 braid.

Certainly would on leader size, thickness, visibility, light refraction etc etc.

Fortunately? weve been fishing in Pea Soup for the lat 2 years, and I havent had to think that hard lol.

I stuggle to fish anything less than 80 leader after a series of rub offs and chaffe thrus.
    HOWEVER, I am putting together another outfit - Abu Revo with 20, that I will fish with 50 or 60 leader, and a new stick Im still playing with, intent to get longer casts on lighter presentations, nuthin earth shattering there, but a step away from my much loved short sticks and 30 or 50 braid.
    Good luck with the 50 & 60lb leader Brian ....... you'll need it.
    Seriously - Even when fishing open areas where you can take your time on a fish ( applying less drag pressure) - I've still been rubbed through.
    I dropped down to 60lb for HBs ...... Till I lost a deep hooked fish back in June when fishing with Obi-wan (also going easy on the fish).
    The other point is ....... you just never know what size fish is going to jump on.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

By the way ....... during my last trip , I introduced a mechanical means in aiding hook ups .... Yes stingers - and the results were rather pleasing .

There were 14 clear hits

9 Hook ups

4 landed

..... 2 fish bricked me in the spindly tree tops
    ..... 1 jig head was opened (so too was the owner treble)
    ..... 1 worn leader ( prolonged fight in the timber)

..... 1 jump off

There was also 1 fish that .... I struck immediately on bumping a stick & I pulled the plastic away from the fish. ...... big boil .

In addition ..... all catfish were landed (5)...... & from memory all were caught on the hanging treble.

Now , I do feel that there might of been a little less in the way of small taps ...... which may have meant that the fish were a little more committed this trip , when compared to my 2 previous trips. .....

Anyhow ...... while its not the be all & end all - confidence was gained .
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I gave my spool of 80lb leader away after using it for only a few casts....I felt it had a detrimental effect on both casting and lure action. We've only had one rub off on 60lb (penn 10x) but I suspect it was cut as the remaining section was fairly clean. had a 117 and a 115 come to the boat, deeply hooked and the same leader very badly worn but still holding...this was all at muster 08'. This year i've gone to shorter leaders on spin gear and even lighter with one fish taken on 40lb (penn 10x) and all others on 60lb Black magic...all of these have been corner jaw hookups so wear has been negligible.

Cheers roo.

Quote Originally Posted by Roo View Post
    I gave my spool of 80lb leader away after using it for only a few casts....I felt it had a detrimental effect on both casting and lure action. We've only had one rub off on 60lb (penn 10x) but I suspect it was cut as the remaining section was fairly clean. had a 117 and a 115 come to the boat, deeply hooked and the same leader very badly worn but still holding...this was all at muster 08'. This year i've gone to shorter leaders on spin gear and even lighter with one fish taken on 40lb (penn 10x) and all others on 60lb Black magic...all of these have been corner jaw hookups so wear has been negligible.

Cheers roo.
    It all depends on how much drag is fished , plus also the frame of mind of the fish -- I've seen big fish stand & deliver with such violent head shakes that 80lb was worn through in 15 seconds.
    In last tears ABT (Awoonga) I landed a 106 on 30lb FC - The very next fish (a little bit bigger) went through that leader like butter - it was a big jumping with lots of head shakes ......... I took the risk because I wanted to fish a 4" plastic with a bit more finesse .
    IMO ...... Its roll the dice stuff

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    It all depends on how much drag is fished , plus also the frame of mind of the fish -- I've seen big fish stand & deliver with such violent head shakes that 80lb was worn through in 15 seconds.
    In last tears ABT (Awoonga) I landed a 106 on 30lb FC - The very next fish (a little bit bigger) went through that leader like butter - it was a big jumping with lots of head shakes ......... I took the risk because I wanted to fish a 4" plastic with a bit more finesse .
    IMO ...... Its roll the dice stuff

Chris

Now dont you go claiming 4inch finnese fishing as 'your discovery' Chris...its been done by quiet achievers for years.