Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Quote Originally Posted by TinarooTriumph View Post
    Knowing how much time you spend infront of a computer per day Chris, you could read 150 threads in a day let alone 150 posts. How much would sink in is another thing. If your stating that spin gear is the new 'trend' in Impoundment barra, then I bet you've got the kettle boiling right now as we speak for your soft plastics.

I don't know...

Theo
    Did someone say garlic????
    "Lyndon bring the spuds!!!"

If a mega-sized barra chaffed your leader, would you sit down, take a few minutes of your time and replace the leader or would you be lazy, keep fishing and most likely get rubbed off?

When I first started barra fishing I would have done the above - the lazy attitude. Having been in sport my whole life, and represented the Peninsula sector of Queensland at state level (both cricket & squash), and then adding something like barra fishing into the equation - you have an idea mix to keep pro-active. If I was to be lazy, I'd be shot. If I was to do badly because of being lazy, I'd be burried as well. This might be worth noting for people partaking in this years ABT Tour... no one in particular

Good information on this site is a click of the mouse away. If your on this forum to gain good information (and then to possibly rank yourself higher in the ABT Tour maybe?) then solid tips/thinking is only a few clicks of the mouse away. Lets not get into lazy attitudes - this accomplishes nothing.

Knowing how much time you spend infront of a computer per day Chris, you could read 150 threads in a day let alone 150 posts. How much would sink in is another thing. If your stating that spin gear is the new 'trend' in Impoundment barra, then I bet you've got the kettle boiling right now as we speak for your soft plastics.

I don't know...

Theo

Gee Theo ........ sounds like a coached reply - how many PMs or Text did it take

Actually they must have been flying thick & fast

chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

May I suggest practicing casting on one leg. By doing this you will get your arm, wrist and rod action right.

Hey Chris, if you keep asking questions, then hanging sh!t on the people who reply, wouldn't it be about time you gave it away and took up golf?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Gee Theo ........ sounds like a coached reply - how many PMs or Text did it take

Actually they must have been flying thick & fast

chris
    ... and now I've got you so baffled that your playing the guessing game... just like your mate did a few weeks ago.

Your very much wrong by the way. I know what your implying. The only PM's or texts I've recieved over the last week have been 'barra' related - reports & photography - can't say I've had too many about forum matters.

If you want to keep this going Chris, shoot us a PM and I'd be happy to talk barra & bullshit with you. More then glad to give you my mobile number as well.

Theo
    An-uncoached Barra angler.
    TT

Quote Originally Posted by aussiebasser View Post
    May I suggest practicing casting on one leg. By doing this you will get your arm, wrist and rod action right.

Hey Chris, if you keep asking questions, then hanging sh!t on the people who reply, wouldn't it be about time you gave it away and took up golf?
    Hi AB _ Who said I have a casting problem ?????

Now .. - I am aware of things that are happening in the background AB ........ A little pot stirring _

......... I really dont feel like buying into it - but I am aware of it (as do others).......

As for golf ...... na mate , played it for years & over it - I like fishing & better still for barra.

Anyhows

cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

... and now I've got you so baffled that your playing the guessing game... just like your mate did a few weeks ago.

Your very much wrong by the way. I know what your implying. The only PM's or texts I've recieved over the last week have been 'barra' related - reports & photography - can't say I've had too many about forum matters.

If you want to keep this going Chris, shoot us a PM and I'd be happy to talk barra & bullshit with you. More then glad to give you my mobile number as well.

Theo
    An-uncoached Barra angler.

Good information on this site is a click of the mouse away. If your on this forum to gain good information (and then to possibly rank yourself higher in the ABT Tour maybe?) then solid tips/thinking is only a few clicks of the mouse away. Lets not get into lazy attitudes - this accomplishes nothing.
    Very interesting line there Theo ...... uncoached What insight you have ! - not bad considering that this goal was only fed to a coach via a pm just a couple of weeks back

No mate .......

I'll work things out

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

You keep scraping at the bottom of that barrel dear old Chris... you might find something one day.

What I type on every forum is exactly what I see old mate. Don't need any helping hands in the barra scene, none what so ever. If you think I'm coached or spoon fed with certain info, then you might want to guess in another direction.

Thank f*ck I live up here!

Theo
    TT

You keep scraping at the bottom of that barrel dear old Chris... you might find something one day.

What I type on every forum is exactly what I see old mate. Don't need any helping hands in the barra scene, none what so ever. If you think I'm coached or spoon fed with certain info, then you might want to guess in another direction.

Thank f*ck I live up here!

Theo
    So you tell me Theo ........ but it reads differently

Anyhow , we will see!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

I can back Theo up. He spends time helping others. There are very few opportunities for coaching up here anyway. Unfortunately most Tinaroo anglers are pretty much self taught through a lot of trial and error. This has been a good thread and quite useful. Please realise that there are many different fishing styles, and one particular technique will not work for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    A fair question for someone new to the site and to fishing, so on that basis and in the spirit of providing information generally -

Since we’re limited to most times a bipedal position there’s not a lot of alternatives to a obtaining a sound footing whilst carrying out some sort of activity. Balancing on only two legs is problematical if you don’t have the knack as any quadruped will tell you.

Most people find a position of stability naturally, though due to our lack of natural stability standing still often requires a constant change of footing unless you train for it (i.e. soldiers standing to attention).

To put what is done naturally into words the following could be seen as one of a number of ideal stances that offer both stability and the ability to move either the whole of or parts of the body quickly and maintain that stability.

To create stability from a sideward pressure feet spread at shoulder width is a good trade off, personally on this I prefer feet facing forward parallel to each other to make it easier to step off using the balls of the feet rather than the heels. That stance solves stability from one direction only, too bad if someone gives you a push from the front or behind.

To get sideways and front/back stability stepping forward with one foot gives that, provided your feet remain also shoulder width apart (beware you don’t end up with one foot directly in line with the other, like on a tightrope) but your sideways stability becomes weakened, particularly if both feet are facing forward. To counter this turn the rear foot out at 45 degrees and you regain a measure of sideways security without sacrificing security front/back, turn more than 45 degrees and you lose the ability to push off with the ball of the foot, critical for speed i.e. readjustment of your foot when the boat bounces the wrong way. Additionally your hips and shoulders should be more or less aligned and facing forward, not off at an angle otherwise the stability of the stance is compromised.

The size of the step forward depends on what you will be doing; generally one normal step would be enough. Stepping forward into the stance has the advantage of transferring weight onto the front foot rather than the back; most people operate better in a front foot stance.

For casting (not flicking) stepping back into the same feet positions as above initially transfers’ weight to the back foot. With the cast your weight can be transferred back onto the front foot providing some momentum to the cast. In this case the hip shoulder orientation to the rest of the lower body is about 60 degrees off an imaginary line that is right angles to the direction you’re facing. The pivoting of the hips also provides momentum to the cast but can affect accuracy. Like so much we do sharing the load across the body, from wrists to the balls of feet, toes if your bare footed can provide much greater power and less load on individual components such as elbows.

I must add stepping back into a cast has some inherent dangers; not seeing where you’re stepping is one. Stepping forward and rocking back sorts that.

Scotty and Lyndon please feel free to wade in if this is not quite right or there’s more needed to be added.

Thanks Dick ...... Pretty well explained.
    More or less what I do with my stance ...... shoulder width with one foot slightly forward ( comes from nearly getting thrown out of a boat when fishing anchored at Awoonga - in 30 knots).

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Now .. - I am aware of things that are happening in the background AB ........ A little pot stirring _

Anyhows

cheers

Chris
    hahahaha, me thinks you put way too much importance upon yourself. I never took you for a conspiracy theorist.

Direction of a cast as well I did notice the posture of all those piccies and it very direct though casting and retiving... so in that case most of us here are sweet. I fished with a few fellas latley and the general fishing stance was very much the same.

Chris is a strong caster and out cast me ten fold but yet we stand and cast very simular, Brian and myself are also just that cast a holics yet neither cast overly far accuracy is nearly spot on which mean good delivery....

Trev is also a great coach as I learned alot just by watching his retive how he rolls the rod on the retrive cast so smooth and on connection to a fish very calm and through experiance know how to react to each run jump.. Double strike and back off the drag hey Trev...

Great to be able to fish with different folk to either compare yourself or use their techniques to improve...

Anyhow a good thread good info, lets keep it going none of this stupid banter between guys is doing nothing anything for anyone who reads it, and might put people off reading any...

Cheers Nath

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    Direction of a cast as well I did notice the posture of all those piccies and it very direct though casting and retiving... so in that case most of us here are sweet. I fished with a few fellas latley and the general fishing stance was very much the same.

Chris is a strong caster and out cast me ten fold but yet we stand and cast very simular, Brian and myself are also just that cast a holics yet neither cast overly far accuracy is nearly spot on which mean good delivery....

Trev is also a great coach as I learned alot just by watching his retive how he rolls the rod on the retrive cast so smooth and on connection to a fish very calm and through experiance know how to react to each run jump.. Double strike and back off the drag hey Trev...

Great to be able to fish with different folk to either compare yourself or use their techniques to improve...

Anyhow a good thread good info, lets keep it going none of this stupid banter between guys is doing nothing anything for anyone who reads it, and might put people off reading any...

Cheers Nath
    Hi Nath

Its always good to fish with others ....... you can pick up ideas that you wouldn't have thought of - or like by your observations re affirm what you are doing or your technique is similar to others.

One point to note ....... from my observations fishing alongside others during the muster
    Rod selection ...... (tapers , lengths etc) . Most seem to be using rather short (6') & stiff rods ....... & this goes for when using plastics & HBs - As far as I'm concerned , unless you have exceptional technique & generate enormous rod loading & tip speed - you just cant cast that far.
    So with this in mind ...... I put together over time outfits that had certain applications . some can be interchanged if required but are not as effective

*7'1" Med / heavy ...... which I can use for long casts with med / heavy plastics (110mm+ slick rigs , 4-6" storm shads etc) - open areas
    *6'8" med/light ..... Which is used to throw lighter plastics - Hollow belly type lures & topwater HBs
    *6' 6" med .... My preferred rod which is used for HBs primarily & some plastics
    *6'3" Heavy .... Used for Heavier HBs & big plastics - mostly when fishing structure where long casts are not required.
    *7' Spin ...... lighter presentations.

****** all baitcast grip configurations are 1.5 - double handed .

Now ... I seriously believe that having specific outfits aid in casting distance & accuracy when required....... Also having rods that are designed for a certain weight of lure means that you don't have to push the boundaries during a cast & end up with a horrible birdsnest ( I can manage that just through excitement )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote:
    Very interesting line there Theo ...... Uncoached What insight you have ! - not bad considering that this goal was only fed to a coach via a pm just a couple of weeks back

At the risk of dwelling on the negative-

Whilst pms may or may not have been sent the one thing that has become apparent to me since the first post on this thread is exactly what has been underlined in red. Nothing wrong with that, setting goals and seeking to fulfill them is all good. However If I could read that from your posts (and I'm a shocking people person, ins) I'd expect others would have independently picked up on it to.

On that basis your assumption could be well off base.

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Pasfield View Post
    At the risk of dwelling on the negative-

Whilst pms may or may not have been sent the one thing that has become apparent to me since the first post on this thread is exactly what has been underlined in red. Nothing wrong with that, setting goals and seeking to fulfill them is all good. However If I could read that from your posts (and I'm a shocking people person, ins) I'd expect others would have independently picked up on it to.

On that basis your assumption could be well off base.
    Dick .... That may be a goal , but its far from the driving force

Firstly - this thread was started to keep interesting & buoyant discussion flowing .... otherwise we end up like other sites which can only be compared to watching paint dry - we can do better than that

Secondly - the topic came up when others mentioned the same thing & since I was experiencing said same - BINGO .... a good topic & one that was worth raising

Now ..... If it was just about anyone else that put up the thread , there would have been no assumptions made or linking to the ABT ....... or even my future ambitions .

Hell ... there was every chance that I would not have been doing the ABT this year.

So as far as I'm concerned the only desire that is of any real consequence is that I improve my trip results ........ If those improvements have a flow on effect in competition - wonderful . ( if others learn from it ...... thats great too)

now ... with that out of the way , maybe we can continue on with this interesting topic

cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO