Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 LastLast

Thread: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Re: Converting barra taps , nips & bites to hookups

Quote Originally Posted by Whitto View Post
    Were all Brothers and Sister in Arms I would have thought.....well thats how I see it
    yeah for sure whitto looks good the art work for sure on all of yas must have cost a tad for you and what the other 2 had done as well

Congratulations Chris,I hope Team Berkley are "No1 on the water"
    Paulo.

Quote Originally Posted by Awoonga View Post
    John thanks for that...Some may ask why Scotty and I are not doing it again ? He had decided to retire from the ABT but that was before he got a AFC spot ..He is still undecided about doing the tour again this year .Anyway Chris and I are locked in.. oh XXXX large earplugs on order

Good luck to you boys. Good mix of experience, knowledge, enthusiasm and of course the NAGG factor

I think you both will be doing well.

Trev you might have to invest in a reinforced, soundproof and flame retardant tent!!! I will see yous at Teemburra and Monduran....maybe Awoonga arvo, not sure yet.

cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by nipsta View Post
    yes i dont know how they sleep near him at the mnuster rob settlehook must have gone home for a few zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
    He was going zzzzz alright trying to get through the half dozen bloody zippers

Quote Originally Posted by Tropicaltrout View Post
    He was going zzzzz alright trying to get through the half dozen bloody zippers
    That was hilarious
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Back to the question at hand.
    Early last Monday morn I stopped off at the now famous A Bay weed beds to chance my hand right on sun up. In the shallows a boil of water on the suface gave away a big school of catties, circling tight and slurping away, dont know if it was bait fish or the previous nites fallen insects rounded up, but they were going to town.
    I couldnt help myself, and dropped a 6" hollow belly right into the middle of them, catties scattered like crazy, but the taps on that retrieve were like a machine gun - rat a tat tat the whole way back to the boat.

Also Matt brought up a good subject on another thread with reaction been part and streangth does the hand you wind with and retive with make any difference pesonally I think it does I wind lefty useing my good arm so to speak to cast with giving me in my mind better connection and with long days on the water I seem not to tire at all.... Also if a fish should so happen to hit on the first hit of the water I don't have to switch hands to retrive?

Nathan good observation and question mate. For people that don't do hands on work i find that there can be a big difference in reaction from the say slow arm to the good arm, those signals to make the arm move quickly just haven't been used often enough. (See Scotty's thread Plasticin on here for some excellent really helpful info on this subject).

Nathan Scotty is the guy who's one of the smartest around in this area, i'll add my bit from what i've experienced and hope it helps out with just one tip for everyone that they might not have known before this thread.

Don't overlook Scotts info for a lure chucking conversation, the problems start at hand, so to speak.

With people that have jobs or do things in life where they have to constantly react quickly using both arms and hands i see good control over both arms with good speed and strength witnessed in both, like Dick Pasfield for instance quicker than any bloke with his handspeed than i have personally seen fishing. That's why when he writes observations i for one listen and learn. He provides lots of good stuff in his posts, does anybody remember any of the points in the helpful posts? Or are they forgotten in less than a week, tips that took a lifetime to get?

Interesting question hey?

Good Info Forgotten & Wasted
    If forgotten this thread was a total waste of time if all that will happen is that next month when a soft plastic is marketed for barra people they buy them then remember to go back to the shop to buy more when they run out, yet they haven't remembered to fix their physical limitations.
    A combo of both would be good if anyone wanted to improve?
    (Social fisho's exempt).

Nath back to your observations mate, from a factual testing point of view, what i have seen and experienced, not just talk, people with good trained co-ordination or reflexes that haven't slowed down from their school days, e.g. people that do something that keeps them quick and nimble, well these girls and guys could use any of those setups even with the non-dominant arm and still be quicker than the fastest person that hasn't done anything like this for ages, if that makes sense?
    (The fastest of the slowest group etc).

People that have slow reflexes and have done nothing to stay quick since their more active school days would most likely have a unco side and a quicker side, so i'd go for what works best for them, what feels quicker and in more control and keep things really simple as too much change they won't be able to handle compared to a person trained to deal with change. That way everyone no matter what level or comp, social or kids can have a win and know they are giving themselves a better chance when fishing.

When To Change
    If this setup in a slower reflex fisho is resulting in missed fish, not letting them put the control and actions on lures that others manage to do, then it's time to change. (Social fisho's dont' read on you will be bored sh$%*less sorry.)

This is going to be hard at times as bad habits drilled deep in to the bodies muscle memory banks often take thousands (3000-5000) good repetitions to undo. That's the hefty penalty we all have to pay at times for going down the wrong track, hence why this thread has been debated hotly by those that know these facts,and argued by those that don't know or understand the rules the body is governed by. We are just trying to help guys.

Learn Something Once then use over a lifetime
    If fisho's learn't a good pattern, technique straight up when they started fishing they can often be seen using a good fishing setup after only a few reps say 300 or one days fishing. There are huge dfferences between 3000 & 300 reps and it rams home the point the contributers on this thread have been trying to make.

Get your setup right from the start. All problems or winning combinations start from there, anyone that doesn't believe it is in complete denial and doesn't want to change, and may as well have not even bothered to join the net or read this helpful thread or ask a question if points from this thread are not taken on board and just skipped for the next lure chucker thread and shelf based product.

With the huge disadvantages listed regarding starting off on the wrong foot wouldn't we use this info to help a mate out thats just getting into fishing? e.g. get him or her on the right path early and not let them get 5000 bad habit reps down the track and say

"Hey you are doing this all wrong, work on this for the next 5000 casts to get better".

His or Her Reply: "Thanks for not helping me with all this info when i started, now it could take ages to undo my bad habits".
    E.g. try all different hand combinations for casting and retrieving...

With all this helpfull info on the net For Free it re-enforces how important good info is for beginners from tackle shops, the net, mags and friends trying to help. It also goes a long way to explaining how important a trip with a good guide is early on in a career or social fishing.

I am writing bluntly in this thread as soft nails don't seem to be getting through get through to dense wood.
    I hope this reply provides some Food for thought as there are a lot of tips provided. If you are in doubt about what's been written as you don't respect the opinions of anyone that has conributed to this great thread (there would be a few) i reckon that would be a bit harsh and maybe arrogant, but if that's the way you think i'll raise you a few photo's, let us know if you think you are better than these guys, while looking at the photo's see if you can pick up any tips that help, atleast i would have succeeded in my goal of people helping out.
    A guide & a couple of Tournament (ABT & AFC) winning anglers fishing while shooting the Fishing Monduran DVD. Wet, wintery cold conditions.

Big tournament winning Scotty fishing with us at Lake Awoonga
    Trevor extending his arms to nail a nice cast on Lake Awoonga

Aaron & Les fishing Teemburra

Dick fishing spin gear on Lake Awoonga
    Does anyone think these 2 don't take all suggestions on board with an open mind?

How many people have taken the time to have a yarn with this wise fellow on the above topics?

Mitchell on to a barra on a day where the bites were lighting quick

Mitchell putting some work on the barra he called for a 109cm model

The happy results

Skinny or Strong you can develop your own style to get results

The strong & powerful have their own fishing style attaining success in their own way

Cheers Lyndon.
    ps. For those that think this topic is in the too hard basket as you don't want to think about any of this stuff listed above and you would rather just look at photo's here's something i prepared earlier to show we are not all about the technical details, we love fishing, exploring, camping and travelling around this great country far, far away from any phone line, mobile phone coverage or internet connections. I hope to be living in a region like this one day and spending serenity years away from the net while catching fish.
    Not a bad goal in life.
    http://www.sweetwaterfishing.com.au/....html#msg15872

Quick Tip: If you have just had a look at these photo's scroll back up and take another look at them please. Nearly every single point Dick, Scott and i made about physical capabilities and limitations is demonstrated by these good fisho's. Some by instinct, others worked on a few things in a every evolving search to get better. Words didnt' seem to be getting through so i thought photo's might help explain helping words a little better.

Cheers Lyndon.

Get your setup right from the start. All problems or winning combinations start from there, anyone that doesn't believe it is in complete denial and doesn't want to change, and may as well have not even bothered to join the net or read this helpful thread or ask a question if points from this thread are not taken on board and just skipped for the next lure chucker thread and shelf based product.

Having been involved in sport for a good part of my life , this one comment rings true ...... in fact I can still hear the golf pro drumming it into my head or my cricket coach trying to get my grip & setup square.
    So ...... what is a good setup position for a cast & retrieve.
    What is an ideal balanced position that takes into account a typical casting deck situation.

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

Having been involved in sport for a good part of my life , this one comment rings true ...... in fact I can still hear the golf pro drumming it into my head or my cricket coach trying to get my grip & setup square.
    So ...... what is a good setup position for a cast & retrieve.
    What is an ideal balanced position that takes into account a typical casting deck situation.

Cheers

Chris
    Chris i agree with you about the sport setup. Everything starts from there mate.

1. With regards to what's a good setup, there were about 200 helpful posts already written about this in the Barra Spin thread, here is the link, you should have already learnt all this from this thread if this info wasn't overlooked for another thread.
    Link: http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...highlight=Spin

Go back and re-read this one, all the tips are there in what must be 100 pages of good info.

2. Another 150 helpfull posts have been added on this thread, so go back and re-read them again so the tips are not lost.

3. I've attached another 10 or so photo's with all the helpful tips demonstrated in them, i thought you were supposed to be spotting them?

4. Trevor has told you your limitations in person on the last 2 barra trips, in person on the boat, if all the above methods of learning can't help you change a limitation, i'm not sure if anything on the net will ever help.

5. Another thread i wrote about a year ago also went over all this Chris, it looks like that was all forgotten or overlooked as well.

Time for the spoon feeding to stop i reckon, go and figure some of it out for yourself. Kinda battling why people should even post on the net if none of these different learning methods are used or get through.

Maybe just different wave lengths that will never change.

How about telling us what you have learned in all the 5 above listed helpfull categories from, threads, on the boat advice, and about 350 helpfull replies, surely you have learned something, if so what?

Cheers Lyndon

Hi Lyndon .....

I could go back & read several hundred posts & try to work it out from there ....... but sorting through all of that would be a time consuming exercise & then I would still probably have to in some instances decipher what was written.

I realise that there is a movement to wards spin gear .......I'm working through that to see how it fits in with my fishing style (the blinkers are off ) ..... so we can leave that aspect alone.

Nice photos ...... but I must be missing something.

As for what I have learnt .......Well - I'll certainly know in a few months

Cheers

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hi Chris you missed the point again, it's got nothing to do with spin gear, lots of info about other stuff on that thread, not about the gear, check out the info, i'm not sure how you forgot it in the first place mate.

So in the last 300 posts that answered questions for you did you learn anything?

Here is one of your posts from a year ago, surely you learnt' something from your own post which had another 100 replies? It was a year ago, and answered many of the questions in this post.

Here are some quotes for those that forget this helpful thread a year ago.

Johnny Mitchell 2008
    I notice a lot of talk about stingers on plastics.
    At times they may assist the angler, other times they may be more of a pain than their desired value. To this day, I still do not think a stinger is required on a moderate sized soft barra lure considering the barra inhales the whole lure when committed and the single hook point is well and truly exposed. The rest is up to the angler. Has anybody ever considered or monitored rod angle, rod tip positioning, drag settings and reaction time as far as striking and line winding is concerned. What about foot stance on deck? The other parts of the equation are equally important.
    Johnny

Chris (Nagg) 2008
    Raising the issues that fall under the umbrella of technique ....... Often go hand in hand with tackle & actually the point of stance & striking technique are more important with a single hook plastics than with any hardbody multi hook lure .......
    http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...d.php?t=139332
    You and Steve B will like this thread i've found, it's a slick rig one with you popping up photo's of straightened hooks LOL.

In your own reply above you acknowledge how important stance and technique is a year ago, then still have trouble on trips with Trev a year later, 400 pages later you haven't fixed what you yourself have spotted as a limitation. Why?

Surely you have seen info in the last 3 threads that help your quest Chris?

Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post

I could go back & read several hundred posts & try to work it out from there ....... but sorting through all of that would be a time consuming exercise & then I would still probably have to in some instances decipher what was written.

Chris
    If a mega-sized barra chaffed your leader, would you sit down, take a few minutes of your time and replace the leader or would you be lazy, keep fishing and most likely get rubbed off?

When I first started barra fishing I would have done the above - the lazy attitude. Having been in sport my whole life, and represented the Peninsula sector of Queensland at state level (both cricket & squash), and then adding something like barra fishing into the equation - you have an idea mix to keep pro-active. If I was to be lazy, I'd be shot. If I was to do badly because of being lazy, I'd be burried as well. This might be worth noting for people partaking in this years ABT Tour... no one in particular

Good information on this site is a click of the mouse away. If your on this forum to gain good information (and then to possibly rank yourself higher in the ABT Tour maybe?) then solid tips/thinking is only a few clicks of the mouse away. Lets not get into lazy attitudes - this accomplishes nothing.

Knowing how much time you spend infront of a computer per day Chris, you could read 150 threads in a day let alone 150 posts. How much would sink in is another thing. If your stating that spin gear is the new 'trend' in Impoundment barra, then I bet you've got the kettle boiling right now as we speak for your soft plastics.

I don't know...

Theo
    TT

What is an ideal balanced position that takes into account a typical casting deck situation?
    A fair question for someone new to the site and to fishing, so on that basis and in the spirit of providing information generally -

Since we’re limited to most times a bipedal position there’s not a lot of alternatives to a obtaining a sound footing whilst carrying out some sort of activity. Balancing on only two legs is problematical if you don’t have the knack as any quadruped will tell you.

Most people find a position of stability naturally, though due to our lack of natural stability standing still often requires a constant change of footing unless you train for it (i.e. soldiers standing to attention).

To put what is done naturally into words the following could be seen as one of a number of ideal stances that offer both stability and the ability to move either the whole of or parts of the body quickly and maintain that stability.

To create stability from a sideward pressure feet spread at shoulder width is a good trade off, personally on this I prefer feet facing forward parallel to each other to make it easier to step off using the balls of the feet rather than the heels. That stance solves stability from one direction only, too bad if someone gives you a push from the front or behind.

To get sideways and front/back stability stepping forward with one foot gives that, provided your feet remain also shoulder width apart (beware you don’t end up with one foot directly in line with the other, like on a tightrope) but your sideways stability becomes weakened, particularly if both feet are facing forward. To counter this turn the rear foot out at 45 degrees and you regain a measure of sideways security without sacrificing security front/back, turn more than 45 degrees and you lose the ability to push off with the ball of the foot, critical for speed i.e. readjustment of your foot when the boat bounces the wrong way. Additionally your hips and shoulders should be more or less aligned and facing forward, not off at an angle otherwise the stability of the stance is compromised.

The size of the step forward depends on what you will be doing; generally one normal step would be enough. Stepping forward into the stance has the advantage of transferring weight onto the front foot rather than the back; most people operate better in a front foot stance.

For casting (not flicking) stepping back into the same feet positions as above initially transfers’ weight to the back foot. With the cast your weight can be transferred back onto the front foot providing some momentum to the cast. In this case the hip shoulder orientation to the rest of the lower body is about 60 degrees off an imaginary line that is right angles to the direction you’re facing. The pivoting of the hips also provides momentum to the cast but can affect accuracy. Like so much we do sharing the load across the body, from wrists to the balls of feet, toes if your bare footed can provide much greater power and less load on individual components such as elbows.

I must add stepping back into a cast has some inherent dangers; not seeing where you’re stepping is one. Stepping forward and rocking back sorts that.

Scotty and Lyndon please feel free to wade in if this is not quite right or there’s more needed to be added.