Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best reel

Best reel

Hi Guyswhat would be the best overhead reel for floating a bait (with minimal sinker size)offshore in the 10-20kg mono line class, using live fiber 8-10 or 10-24kg rod. I was thinking Tyrnos, Trinidad? What do others prefer.

Re: Best reel

I prefer a threadline for that sort of work, but there must be a thousand models that would suit, including the ones you mentioned.

I use a daiwa saltist 30TH, i find it works for variety of fishing situations. But i also use a 6500 Baitrunner also. cheers Lee

Baitrunner 6500 on the heavier rod.
    Have just put my baitrunner 4500 on the 8-15 kg and it feels very nice.
    Cant go past them for floatlining, just have to be quick if close to the reef as its zzzzzzzzz- then Gooone!
    Brendan

Go the tyrnos if you want overhead I use a tyrnos 30 on a M10 live fibre 10-24 kg and love it!!!

i have two m10's, one with a tyrnos30 and the other a saltist 50h.

this rod is my no 1 choice, however it gets a bit heavy after a long day, especially with the tyrnos attatched.

both are very good reels, will handle the big stuff, but i am starting to prefer the saltist due to the weight issue.

as for the 8-10 LF, maybe a tekota?. i have a LF 6-8 tex with a tekota 500 that is a great match, but a more than a bit too light for floating, given that floating usually attracts the larger fish.

hope this helps

matty

I like the Trinidads personaly... Very nice reel.

For what you want the reel for, I would buy a Spinning reel (Threadline) as it is better suited for the situation... I suggest either a Sustain or Stella... Depending on what you can affored...

Bandit.
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

In my opinion an overhead works much better when floatlining. Nothing wrong with a TLD 15 or 20 as well as the other reels mentioned. I think a lever drag would be more suitable as I would not like to engage the gears on a reel with a Snapper taking off at full throttle
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

If it's going to be an overhead then I'm with Barra Bandit,the Trinnidads have a baitrunner clutch as a feature (atleast the TN 30 does).

I have 5 tyrno's about 2 years old ,3 have just seized solid.
    i havn't serviced them in that two year period,but there washed with drags tightened after each trip.
    i won't be buying anymore.

Whats going on there Gibbo!!

I have had mine for three years or so and still as good as gold doesn't even get washed most of the time.

Maybe you arent using them enough

Cheers Lochie.

Quote Originally Posted by snapperbasher View Post
    Whats going on there Gibbo!!

I have had mine for three years or so and still as good as gold doesn't even get washed most of the time.

Maybe you arent using them enough

Cheers Lochie.
    plenty of use squire basher,i was liking them but in the last 2 months 3 goneski.
    i've never fished so much ,i love resession's

This area is really the domain of a threadline reel & particularly a baitrunner ...... much easier than an overhead.

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    This area is really the domain of a threadline reel & particularly a baitrunner ...... much easier than an overhead.

Chris
    After being shown how to floatline with an overhead properly I would never consider using a threadline. The line does not come off the spool easily enough on them. Even the baitrunner feeding at 90o to the line gives too much drag and floats your bait up out of the strike zone. It is an artform that needs practice to do it properly with an overhead but it is very effective
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

not too sure how any overhead can let out line easier/smoother than a threadline with the bail open, to you QLDer, all this "floatlining" may be quite new, but to us Southerners who try score a fish in hard fished areas, then a threadline is almost the universal reel for this situation, some baitrunners maybe, but almost always a simple but reasonable quality threadline, sometimes open bail, and cast out and the right amount of line "flipped off". sometimes light drag, sometimes tighter drag, depending on tactics.