Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what can i do if i know whos knocking of my pots?

what can i do if i know whos knocking of my pots?

i recently bought 6 new pots $60ea i mainly use them when i dont have time to go crabbing manually well heres the story near my house i put 1 pot down at the mouth of a canal i always place it out at dead low tide and late arvo to not attract attention from theives anyway in the past ive had pots stolen from this spot and the problem is the pot is 10m away from a million dollar house, you can see the pot as its sunk, you have to walk of the beaten track to place it and over all the years ive never seen another crabber where this spot is, prob is the grounds keeper of this house is a real dodgy bugger ive caught him twice checking it and when i confront him he sad it was his and then i show him my ingraving on the pot he goes "oh i must be mistaken"

anyway im pretty easy going so i shrug it off, now at the end of last season i starting losing pots and in the shed of this house 2 weeks later of what i can see are 2 pots exactly the same, now yesterday i put a pot in this spot to see if there are any crabs around went to check it this morning and it was gone, there are foot prints leading up the flats up the rock wall and onto this property, the same guy was also there he came down and told me to p#ss off because this was his crabbing spot and on private property which is a crock, what can i do about this im at the stage where if i see this guy down there again i will use him for bait, im fed up with this crap i spend most of a days wage on a pot and on effort to have some smug guy flog everything, i know i could always change spots but this spot has the crabs and i shouldnt have to resort to that

Re: what can i do if i know whos knocking of my pots?

Hand over his address to the Police/Fisheries Dept along with some photographic or video evidence if you can get it.
    simon

The ocean is the ultimate solution - Frank Zappa

http://s428.photobucket.com/albums/qq9/slyman71/

Get a photo of the pots and file a police report and after they investigate and find there is evidence dont let them just give a warning have him charged in court

Cheers

Chris
    Democracy: Simply a system that allows the 51% to steal from the other 49%.

well i asked him if i could look at "his" pots and he said no i havent seen them since, he wont let himself get caught on cam thats the problem i could sit up a tree on the other side of the canal but i dont have time, its so easy for him because its like stealing a car thats in front of your house there are no witnesses and im pretty sure police cant go on here say, hes a weedy little guy and im 6'3 with a bit of meat on me so hes not going to try anythin to stupid but if i catch him next time i might have to tie him to a becon and let the tide do its thing

You should have barged your way past and retreived your post mate.. If there is no one there to see him take your pots, there is also no one there to see you take them back... Tresspassing doesn't matter

yes i like your thinking but he has security cams everywhere so then ide be the one in trouble maybe ill right something in his million dollar lawn, where can i buy bags of sulpher? lol

You should at least speak with the Police and ask their advice. Having the issue logged with them will not hurt. Then you work on a sting next time you have a few days off. You must have a holiday some time?

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

engrave a very inconspicuous mark ( like 3 or 4 thin lines ) on the inside of the metal ring of the pot and photograph it at your house with a clock and calendar behind you.

As soon as the pots go missing and you know they are there and easy to locate, take the pleecers around with you for a chat. If you tell them what evidence is there, and where the pots are located, they will have to act.

Baitwaiter has got it or do a sting, you have no rights without ABSOLUTE proof today you are just another kid in the school yard in their eyes.

Set up a video camera even but seriously don't contact the authorise first they have very little interest until forced to and they will as the easiest option tip the thief off as a matter of course, leaving you no hope. And make a copy of any evidence before handing the original over, you never know what contacts the owners of the house has.

Another option is to get a search done on the house (someoen here with the tools?) and write a letter to the owners, they will probably never see it but you never know, if they want to care they will, this would be tops to do after and if caretaker is charged and hope fully convicted.

cheers fnq

Quote Originally Posted by FNQCairns View Post
    Another option is to get a search done on the house (someoen here with the tools?) and write a letter to the owners, they will probably never see it but you never know, if they want to care they will, this would be tops to do after and if caretaker is charged and hope fully convicted.

cheers fnq
    any real estate agent can find the contact details for the owners of the house... 'pds live' or 'rp data' are the two search processes..just give the agent the address and he (or she) can find the owner in a snap.

Some properties own to the low tide marks and some properties have leases over sections of water. Most owners just use the "private property "bluff but be aware there are some odd old marine leases and some quite unusual stratas on canals. Check with whoever controls that waterway exactly wher the property boundary is.

Normally the owners have rights down to the mean low tide mark but that can be different in different juristrictions.

Don't get caught up in any assults, trespass or theft as you can guarantee you always come up against someone with a bigger wallet and even if you are in the right our money driven legal system will make you a loser.

Definately mark your posts as described above secretly and also run a thread of different coloured rope in the net and haul rope so you can tell at a distance thay are yours. If you can tell it is yours at a distance with binoculars phone the police. If you can get footage then police and fisheries.

Note to the owners is a great idea but can backfire and tip the caretaker off The owner may have directed the caretaker to take such action or back him up. Type the address into google and often nthe sales reports of megga houses will state new and old owners.

Some owners do it especially if it creates a navigation hazard to their berths or slipways .

I hate thieves and that includes those who try and privatise public property.

You could always start dropping besser clocks with floats to keep him muddy and occupied!!!!

Or drop your pots without float if it is that good a crabbing spot.

thanks guys i have a few ideas up my sleeve and ill be using some of these, i sink my pots but hes to smart for that so yes ill stitch him up ill be putting a cheap pot out early in the morning with all the bells and whistles, with a float tags the lot with special identification in the poly pipe, ill then go to the other side of the canal with my cam, the pots isnt on private property well from it but yes this house would be worth 6 mill easy so he has alot more money then me so ill do everything the legal way, if im aloud or if anyones interested i could put the footage up here because this guy will take the bait

Wait till you get him doing it twice clearly on camera ( tripod and zoom it in) and then let police and fisheries sort it. Don't risk your case until he is convicted then go to town. Twice will get him as the excuse that I've only ever done it once or I mistook the pot ( use a different size and colout float or paint it) .won't stand up and you can use your diary to indicate all the other times along with your receipts for new pots. Push for the conviction as a fine means nothing and if they don't push for a conviction find out why. The key is giving the fisheries guys enough evidence as they have greater powers of entry in some circumstances than the police so he can't dispose of the evidence. Call fisheries and Police and ask exactly what they would need as they will be happy to tell you if you can get onto one of the offcers. They will have the police tag along.

You really want the police and fisheries doing the prosecutions for theft and pot tampering.

Quote Originally Posted by justjack View Post
    yes i like your thinking but he has security cams everywhere so then ide be the one in trouble maybe ill right something in his million dollar lawn, where can i buy bags of sulpher? lol

Not sulphur mate.

Use a cheap fertilizer with a lot of nitrogen in it.
    Spell out a rude word with the fertilizer. Hose it in.
    Or do it next time it rains. Never.

Wait a week.

Hey presto. Look at that.

Rod
    My dictionary defines green as ‘unripe, immature, undeveloped'. Perfect description.

Most political parties are seen as interested in what the voters think, the Greens are seen as thinking the community should be interested in what they think.

G'day Cormorant,

You nailed in on the head with the legality side of things.

Peter