Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    share em out brother - good buy ........ All those sizes too

My problem is having the rod in the quiver to deliver those bad boys, those 6 inch weigh a tonne un-modified, and the shorter sticks I prefer for timber work struggle.
    Ive got an old Daiwa beastie that I brought off Steve yonks ago, might go and have a tinker.

As Daryll says - "to the shed"!

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    My problem is having the rod in the quiver to deliver those bad boys, those 6 inch weigh a tonne un-modified, and the shorter sticks I prefer for timber work struggle.
    Ive got an old Daiwa beastie that I brought off Steve yonks ago, might go and have a tinker.

As Daryll says - "to the shed"!
    Dont you own a Medallist 15 kg stick ....... thats one I use

But the best is the loomis BCR855 GLX launches them like a catapult (depthcharge) ..... love it

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Attachment 50944Hey Brian, I ahd forgotten about those rods...that long diawa would be good for chucking big plastics!!

Heres some of the flat tires Flatzie was talking about. Their tails were a bit dis-aligned from the box, so I boiled them up and gave the 'the rack' treatment.

'the rack' a little thing I built over a beer yesterday...trying to work out how to mount it in the boat!!!

cheers Steve

Just returned from the park mate, I wonder what the locals think when Im down there casting away, refreshments close at hand.
    The Daiwa teamed up with an Abu Revo banged out the big 6 inch storm sweet as, kind of sad I trimmed the bottom grip back on the stick now, the extra length would have come in handy for those double handed launches.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    'the rack' a little thing I built over a beer yesterday...trying to work out how to mount it in the boat!!!
    Geez Steve,

I think 'built' is a rather generous word for a bit of timber with a few nails in it....

Pete

Steve, love the Rack!
    I paid about 15 USd for this pack of 19 Cabelas Flattires. I woulnt mind betting they are made by Berkley for Cabelas,
    Someone is making a heap of money over here on those prices Nagg.
    Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Steve, love the Rack!
    I paid about 15 USd for this pack of 19 Cabelas Flattires. I woulnt mind betting they are made by Berkley for Cabelas,
    Someone is making a heap of money over here on those prices Nagg.
    Flatzie
    A bucket load of profit ........ I know I can buy Shadalicious for <$15 in Gin Gin & they cost me $20 in Brisbane
    now while the A$ is up ...... its time to stock up on those imports

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Nice Rack Stevie.....I bet you get that all the time hey!

Brian, The most reasonable Barra rods will chuck the storms no probs.....you just gotta give it time to load up before getting too carried away with the launch...yes i said launch, not cast. they are heavy buggers.
    Speaking of heavy, I had a 6" prerigged Bozo in the lure box from last year that just seemed too heavy to throw without risking being dragged with it if I had a launch malfunction resulting in birdnest and intersteller ejection....Took to it last night with my trusty side cutters and what do you know....with the release of about 1/3rd of the lead, out pops a little glass rattle chamber....I can tell you i was surprised as all my fiddling with this plastic i'd never noticed a rattle coming from it...may be due to the very durable plastic muffling the noise a bit too well. anyway, that has been given the "Innuendo"(Italian Suppository) treatment to a much more flexible member of the plastics box. The racket this thing produces from every wiggle of the tail is huge....maybe too loud...dunno we'll see. Gotta love the tinkering.

Cheers Roo.

anyone know a good glue for soft plastics? i normally heat with a lighter and stick the 2 parts together but i need to glue a rattle to a hollowbelly tail and super glue is coming off after 1-2 sessions.

Bargain bin at BFC today had the 5 and 6 inch old style soft packs mate, plus some holographic 4 inch, for 5 bucks a pack.
    Note I say "had"
    Checked at Loganholme this afternoon and picked up a couple of packets at $5 each. They have got em on the wall - not in the bargain bin. Still plenty left. If anyone can't get there and wants some let me know and I'll pick them up for delivery at the Muster.
    Dave
    Not to get technical...... but according to Chemistry, ALCOHOL IS A SOLUTION

Quote Originally Posted by Callop View Post
    Checked at Loganholme this afternoon and picked up a couple of packets at $5 each. They have got em on the wall - not in the bargain bin. Still plenty left. If anyone can't get there and wants some let me know and I'll pick them up for delivery at the Muster.
    Dave
    I wouldn't bother with those placcys (waste of money) - specially not worth fishing at Mondy this weekend - Save your money
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thumbs up Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Ive brought on-line thru Happy Micks before, he was the only one I could find that sold the Led Lensor head lamp I wanted, and took Paypal, no dramas with him.
    I placed an order Monday night saying I was going fishing and got an SMS today to say the Reidys Rubbers were in the mail express post.

Gotta be happy with that . Might have em for the Muster .

Now where is that Dip I got off Foxie? Chartreus I think it was .

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Thumbs up Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Attachment 50944Hey Brian, I ahd forgotten about those rods...that long diawa would be good for chucking big plastics!!

Heres some of the flat tires Flatzie was talking about. Their tails were a bit dis-aligned from the box, so I boiled them up and gave the 'the rack' treatment.

cheers Steve
    Great work! You can also nail the bludgers tail to a post and take to them with a blow torch. That sorts the Bassards! Maybe too many beers

Or super glue the flats of the tails under the table and then do like milk the cow

Just returned from the park mate, I wonder what the locals think when Im down there casting away, refreshments close at hand.
    The Daiwa teamed up with an Abu Revo banged out the big 6 inch storm sweet as, kind of sad I trimmed the bottom grip back on the stick now, the extra length would have come in handy for those double handed launches.
    I have a Daiwa teerearia teerie tear; crap a nice blue outfit just for that. Nagmificent! as far as spine outfits go of course

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Geez Steve,

I think 'built' is a rather generous word for a bit of timber with a few nails in it....

Pete
    A bit harsh Pete, he very nearly lined up some of those nails.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    A bucket load of profit ........ I know I can buy Shadalicious for <$15 in Gin Gin & they cost me $20 in Brisbane
    now while the A$ is up ...... its time to stock up on those imports

Chris
    You can get some bloody good bargains of the Bassard in Gin Gin but the place is a crab pot! Oh yeah the prices are good but it soon adds up 1 of these 2 of those some Chartreause dip .

Callop Ill have two packets if you are going back. I am not even sure what we are on about but $5 a packet sounds good .

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by mr_yamba View Post
    anyone know a good glue for soft plastics? i normally heat with a lighter and stick the 2 parts together but i need to glue a rattle to a hollowbelly tail and super glue is coming off after 1-2 sessions.
    If the rattle is the glass and steel ball type, i just insert them into the cavity followed by a drop of glue if its not a super snug fit, any old supa glue(Cyanoacrylate) will stick the glass to the plastic but plastic to plastic is not so successful. You need to give it a little time to set, moisture is the catalyst for these glues so breathing on it(dont inhale...not good for you..ask a barra!) will speed up the process a bit. other wise the good old heat does the best trick. better to use a hot knife rather than direct flame, once the plastic burns it seems to loose some ability to "Grab" again, In my opinion anyway.
    Happy tinkering.
    Cheers Roo.

Lyndon, thanks mate. Hey, In your studies of lures etc, have you come across any plastics that have been genuinely designed and made in Australia for barra?? I cant recall any, but you might...Most are lures made for OS fish and are a 'barra will like this' import that generally has a couple of deficiencies for our fish, as per my list

IMHO to be 'perfect' for barra straight out of the pack....it would have to be a combo of the best of all of them I spose...but you and I know, unfortunatley that would cost big $$$ to produce....and then that would be passed on to us poor suckers!! I would be happy to pay, but as we know, the impoundment barra scene is a drop in the ocean on the world market, thus production costs vs sales viability would be probably not worth it to a big comany.

good hooks (and light weight...hard to do....Matt Fraser has come the closest I think anyone can get so far), good action, good quality rubber/pastic with good packaging, good colours, good variety of sizes....list could go on...I can see the producers budget blown right out of the water...So I guess for now, tinkering, snipping, glueing and experimenting....and playing in the pool will be the only option for while.

Cheers Steve

Back to the origninal post by JM...Byron lures.....I bought a couple of packs $2 each at a local tackle sale.....nice actions....unfortunalty the hook straighted on an OS cattie!!!!! I tinkered with putting a powermullet jig in one, but it failed to have the same action. But the tail did get a use on a flaps head!!!

Hi Steve i just had a read of this and found a few things i agree on mate.

I reckon there are smart guys around like Matt, Trev and co that help in developing fishing gear for aussie barra e.g. the Jig heads, and they have been around for a while ( no offence guys ) like others who are smart on and off the net to do product development even decades ago if their brians were used to make a plastic or jig head.

Do we all agree with that? Steve what do you reckon from the anglers you have seen, smart enough or not smart enough to do a good job in research and development mate?

If anyone disagrees and think there aren't many smart people in Oz to develop barra gear let us know why you think that?

My guy feel, is not a gut feel, i have met people that had the knowledge years ago to do this. So for me the answer is a Yes. But not everyone is interested in going down this path (needs to be noted).

In summary does everyone agree that there are and were people in the Oz barra scene smart enough to develop good barra products decades back if the opportunity presented itself. All generations included out of respect etc.

It looks like we are getting somewhere with the soft plastic thinking which is why this thread is a cracker. Lots of thinking and interacting from alot of members.

Cheers Lyndon.