Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Hi Nagg, the Reidys rubbers are very supply, swim magnificently on the drop and have an anchor point underneath to attach treble to, but their main hook is terribly weak. Also have a good colour range but are very hard to find. You can remove the hook and weight from them and put in a stronger jig head and reglue them, but this is annoying. Hopefully with a few suggestions along these lines from their sponsored guys they will change the hooks and then they will be perfect.
    cheers, scott.

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    Hi Nagg, the Reidys rubbers are very supply, swim magnificently on the drop and have an anchor point underneath to attach treble to, but their main hook is terribly weak. Also have a good colour range but are very hard to find. You can remove the hook and weight from them and put in a stronger jig head and reglue them, but this is annoying. Hopefully with a few suggestions along these lines from their sponsored guys they will change the hooks and then they will be perfect.
    cheers, scott.
    Totally agree Scott + they are slightly lighter than the Storm ...... I fished them a bit last year but did loose a fish or 2 ........ I just wished they ditched the mustad hook.
    Another placcy that swimms magnificently is the Panther Martin Vivif shad (aka Phoney Bream) - but the hook is a narrow gaped weak as , piece of crap - but the barra love em

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Flatzie,,

All good here mate

Lyndon, Do you know of any aussie lure makers thinking of dabbling in SP market???....I mean, design a great lure (even copy some of the triats of the better plastics) and then get them made overseas to keep costs down....or make them in Oz, but I dare say more $$.

Its really a market that doesn't seem to be explored as much as it could....just a thought. Mabey it is just easier to import US bass lures and change them to suit barra.

I know I enjoy the tinkering...there is definate satisfaction in the success....even on slickrigs

Cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Flatzie,,

All good here mate

Lyndon, Do you know of any aussie lure makers thinking of dabbling in SP market???....I mean, design a great lure (even copy some of the triats of the better plastics) and then get them made overseas to keep costs down....or make them in Oz, but I dare say more $$.

Its really a market that doesn't seem to be explored as much as it could....just a thought. Mabey it is just easier to import US bass lures and change them to suit barra.

I know I enjoy the tinkering...there is definate satisfaction in the success....even on slickrigs

Cheers Steve
    Hi Steve

Reidys Rubbers ( designed here & made in China) They look idenical to a storm swim shad - though they do have an underside eyelet to attach a treble
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Awoonga
    The SHADALICIOUS I have are 4.5" Evil MinnowISH purple colour, a bit like those plastics that people boil and snip! They have a big Red spot under the chin and tail.
    Most of these types were 6-8 USD per packet. Heaps of others like the Money Shads as well, I was struggling to choose.
    Yes I have it from others that small is good at the moment as well, maybe the little fresh crop of boneys are the tastiest!
    I have a few fish crazy mates in Minnesota, (I mean buddies) and they just went ballistic when i interupted abusiness meeting and showed them my Awoonga file, but its good to know they are just near Cabelas! and Gander Mountain, another huge outdoor store chain up there.
    With it not looking like soon that we will get these type of plastics specifically made for barra it may pay someone from the ranks to think about setting up amore organised import!
    Cheers
    attached pics are Shadalicious and the Castiac slim tails

Flatzie

Flatzie

Quote Originally Posted by vet View Post
    cheers, scott.

Hi Scotty have you used these Reidy's in the photo below?
    I have the smaller ones as well and like you i like the colours.
    Rainbow and Grunter etc. Hooks are a bit small for big fish.

With the ones below you get to choose your own hooks so all is good there.

Cheers Lyndon.
    Below is the Huggy Bear Colour.

Quote Originally Posted by flatzie View Post
    Awoonga
    The SHADALICIOUS I have are 4.5" Evil MinnowISH purple colour, a bit like those plastics that people boil and snip! They have a big Red spot under the chin and tail.
    Most of these types were 6-8 USD per packet. Heaps of others like the Money Shads as well, I was struggling to choose.
    Yes I have it from others that small is good at the moment as well, maybe the little fresh crop of boneys are the tastiest!
    I have a few fish crazy mates in Minnesota, (I mean buddies) and they just went ballistic when i interupted abusiness meeting and showed them my Awoonga file, but its good to know they are just near Cabelas! and Gander Mountain, another huge outdoor store chain up there.
    With it not looking like soon that we will get these type of plastics specifically made for barra it may pay someone from the ranks to think about setting up amore organised import!
    Cheers
    attached pics are Shadalicious and the Castiac slim tails

Flatzie

Flatzie
    Flatzie, those castaics look sweet. interested to see how they perform....I reckon good. thanks for the info.

cheers Steve

Castiacs (or something that looks very similar) are available from Tackle Warehouse, Coorparoo....

Your correct Pete, Castiacs are available there, looked at them a couple of weeks ago.

heres another in that long wristed style, called a Panic Minnow

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Ive brought on-line thru Happy Micks before, he was the only one I could find that sold the Led Lensor head lamp I wanted, and took Paypal, no dramas with him.

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi Lyndon

Just quickly on the Storm Shad ....... This photo shows the down grading of the hook on the 6" shad - One is a new 6" version (found in blister packs) while the other is a old 5" version (soft packs) Attachment 50903 -- - while it is not that easy to pick the two ..... closer inspection reveals all - Its relatively easy to open the new hooks in your fingers or pull off a snagged lure I actually had a hook opened up & ejected on a head shake Yet I never straighted the old hooks - even on a snag ..... the line parts first

Now ..... I absolutely agree on the lures that are all pretty well designed overseas - They are predominately sold for the bass market & they do not have to have the sturdy hooks that are required for barra ( mind you - the majority of our locally designed barra hard bodies fail abysmally on the hook selection ) .......
    Anyhow ...... we will still use these US bass lures because they have other attributes that we find desirable (suppleness , swim action , finish , design etc) - specially when we can choose a suitable jig head. Note : The Hollowbelly which is a rip off of other US multi layered tube type plastics - is sold with a light worm hook over there ........ but not here because of the field testing that was conducted by Trev , Scotty & Matty Fraser ---- & fortunately Matt designed the backbone jig heads for them & our target species

One placcy ......The Reidys Rubbers 5" Shad (locally designed) while being similar to the storm swim shads.... still suffer from poor hook choice.

Anyhow .... all cool here Lyndon - life would be pretty boring if everyone agreed & we would learn nothing

Cheers

Chris
    Bargain bin at BFC today had the 5 and 6 inch old style soft packs mate, plus some holographic 4 inch, for 5 bucks a pack.
    Note I say "had"

Quote Originally Posted by Peter4 View Post
    Castiacs (or something that looks very similar) are available from Tackle Warehouse, Coorparoo....

Correct Pete ..... About $20 / pkt
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by BR65 View Post
    Bargain bin at BFC today had the 5 and 6 inch old style soft packs mate, plus some holographic 4 inch, for 5 bucks a pack.
    Note I say "had"
    share em out brother - good buy ........ All those sizes too
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Hello Lyndon, I didn't even know you could buy them without the hooks. Would be a great idea so you can put whatever hook you like.
    thanks, scott.