Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Quote Originally Posted by park View Post
    I don't think anyone is really aiming to discredit slickrigs directly or subtlely. I gathered that the point of this thread was to highlight some soft plastics that swim dead slow and on the drop without any modifications. In my opinion the the slickrig does not fall into this category along with many other soft plastics. The information in this thread is great for new comers to the soft plastic world that may not have realised what characteristics can make a better fish catching lure for barra on any given day. It also gives people a few choices in proven plastics that fall into the non modification category which in the end saves people time and money and I am sure is appreciated.

Don't get me wrong, I for one love to modify and experiment with ALL my soft plastics these days but initially when I was green I didn't realise to what extent you could change the lures action. I just assumed they all worked as well as they possibly could out of the packet. I hope some lure manufacturers out there read posts like this to give them ideas on what other variations they can offer with their soft plastic lures and packaging.

Shaun
    Shaun, I am pretty sure its aimed at Slickrigs....actually I know it is. The underlying 'issue' for want of a better word, is to do with the previous market saturations of slickrigs in the industry. Its not about the lure as much as it is about those who promotes them in the industry.

I agree with the good info regarding the charicteristics that improve actions and fish catching abilities. I enjoy reading that, and love it. Agree also, its good to know what sinking, swimming charicteristics they have.Good to see you having a tinker with things mate..its good fun and gives you good satisfaction when you succeed on a lure you toy with. The pool is a good friend for testing...just try not to hook the kids!!

cheers Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Plasticin View Post
    I agree with you Steve on numerous principles but there are a few which you seemed to have missed.

Value: I think that you are right, Slick Rigs on sale atm are good value even if you have to replace the heads.

Marketing: This is where it really gets me. Yes they have been “bold” with their marketing. And the way they have “infiltrated” the market place is nothing short of “slick” business. But whilst I need to realise that this is business and they are only trying to make money, I really feel like telling them where to go.

When I get told a story I like to know the truth of the story. For instance when Mum used to read me Peter Pan and she tried to pretend that Hook was really a misunderstood old pirate I used to get really irate because that wasn’t the truth. And just like aforementioned if I swim one lure all day and you swim the same lure all day then I’m pretty sure that the one that I have left in the tackle box won’t catch the fish. How bout we take a camera out with us and swim that one lure all day, hold on we didn’t get a fish, then maybe we swim it all day the next day; sweet we got one fish, and then swim it all day the next day, sweet we got two fish, now lets edit it together and tell them how great this product is.

I am dead set sick of having Squidgy Sex Tapes Volume 46 rammed down my throat and totally sick of walking into a tackle store and seeing Squidgies covering 50% of the wall.
    “What did you get you fish on? “
    “Squidgies they are the greatest, so great in fact that they are my favourite as well, seasoned with a little pepper and garlic reduced with some white wine they go down a treat. Oh and the fish like them as well.”

They forget to tell you that they don’t pay for their Squidgies in fact Mr Squidgy man takes them to dinner most nights of the week.

Taylor Bro’s: I can’t tell the Taylors apart from two bars of soap and I doubt that a lot of people who claim they are "best mates" with them could either, so I am not saying that this is in any way their opinion but here is what I would do in their situation. Mr Squidgy comes up and offers you reels and free product in exchange for you telling the people that you catch fish on them. Now you know that the reels are tip top, ship shape, but you’re not too sure about the colour that’s all. But you’ll take them anyway. Now Mr Squidgy says that you can’t have the reels without the plastic accessories. Now you really want the reels and you have been catching fish on the plastic accessories, be it a different type of accessory in the past, so you think “yes maybe I can do something with them.” You sit down and play around and look what abounds.
    I once heard a very skinny man who likes playing with potatoes in a non-dirty way say “you could hardly call them slick rigs given how much they modify them”. (sorry if I got the words wrong: very, very skinny man with skinny legs???)

And seeing as I am having a rant, can we start getting some people on TV who are not overweight or obese and start promoting fishing as a healthy sport. I am also sick of telling people that I don’t go fishing to get retarded/drunk/loose/smashed/wankerish/whatever else the young kids call it these days. I go fishing to fish. It is up to all of us to change that attitude. So stick that in your pot and boil it.
    Hmmm ....... The only thing I agree with you on is - MARKETING ! & shimano (fishing) do it better than anyone here in OZ

The reality is ..... like it or not

THOSE SLICK RIGS CATCH BARRA ....... no hype & no sponsorship

More barra have been landed on my boat ..... on a unmodified slick rig than any other lure or placcy - Once again...... No hype / sponsorship

My mate ....... still fishes a slick rig like he did 2 years ago - & he still catches barra ( consistently) .... ..... Try telling him to dump them for something else

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Scott,

Thanks for the input mate.. You have confirmed what I think is really behind all the subtle anti slick rigs comments and threads lately...thankyou

marketing opinions aside. They work. for the Taylors, for NAGGs mate, for heaps of people at all levels....If they didnt they wouldn't keep buying them....no matter how hard 'mr squidey' pushed them down their throats. There is PLENTY of other plastics out there to choose from.... Shops, magazines and the net are promoting them well....Hollowbellys are a great example...they are a very effective lure..you only have to look at the reports on here...and reports since they hit the market. Many would say they are on a high % of rods these days....Why??? They catch fish, and plenty of them. I actually like them...particularly their action...So I am not singling them out, merely using them as an example as they are pretty much in similar positions in the market place, but they too have been well marketed...Berkley has a big marketing machine too....good on them if they can do it....they, like Shimano have to do these things to sell product. Its sink or swim pardon the pun!!!...But you dont see anyone here saying "I hate mr berkley for forcing hollows down my thoat"!!! Thats my point. balance is lacking....and theres reasons behind it. I just dont like seeing this site abused for personal prejuduce against a product, person or company.....

If the lure truely sucks....fine.

People are smart enough to work out what works for them....and I do like the extra info provided as I said in my reply to Shaun.

As for the healthy promotion of the sport on TV....I totally agree (although I only just realised it)......unfortunatley to do that you would have to start with AFC....and to deny genuine winner who earns their place, the chance on AFC because they are overweight or ugly.....well that would be a whole new conspiracy thoery, probably reserved for another thread.

Cheers Steve

PS: I cant tell them apart either.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Scott,

Thanks for the rant. You have said what is really behind all these threads latley. Thankyou.

marketing opinions aside. They work. for the Taylors, for NAGGs mate, for heaps of people at all levels....If they didnt they wouldn't keep buying them....no matter how hard 'mr squidey' pushed them down their throats. There is PLENTY of other plastics out there, shops, magazines and the net are promoting them well....Hollowbellys are a good example...and they work well too....Berlkey has a big marketing machine....good on them too....they, like shimano have to do these things to sell product. Its sink or swim pardon the pun!!!...

People are smart enough to work out what works for them....but I do like the extra info provided as I said in my reply to Shaun.

As for the healthy promotion of the sport on TV....I totally agree (although I only just realised it)......unfortunatley to do that you would have to start with AFC....and to deny genuine winner who earns their place, the chance on AFC because they are overweight or ugly.....well that would be a whole new conspiricy thoery

Cheers Steve
    Steve .... we can even name my mate "Mighty Whitey"

& if there are any doubts on the effectiveness of the humble slick rigs ......... they can just look through my reports of March 08 , Sept 08 & March 09 - No BS no crap ..... just straight fact on what worked then & there ....... without doing the numbers - probably 70-80 barra landed on slick rigs Not bad for a couple of clueless Southerners.

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by setthehook View Post
    Great read Johnny!

Also has anyone really tried a yabby imitation plastic, something the same size, colour and shape of the common yabby? They are in the dams and i dont doubt for a second a barra would eat a yabbie...
    I have tried them a little with no success but perhaps the wrong day time etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by setthehook View Post
    Cheers Lyndon! I havent seen the Monduran DVD yet so i will have to get my hands on it and watch it! Good too here my idea with yabbies wasnt a silly one...
    Cheers mate and look forward meeting on the water well talk yabbies lol... dare i mention i recken a barra would eat small eels? and ive seen them swimming on the surface at the same time as the barra were sunning themselves....
    I actually have some small plastic eels from seppo land but have yet to try them. I might brigh them to the Muster.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Ban em l say, The should be removed from every Tackle shop, Just last night at Awoonga l put them to the test...Now the results are in....Test No1 Tail removed Method used ...Jigging ... Test Aborted....Reason...Barra stole it . Test No 2 Method used ...boiled and chopped...Test Aborted...Reason... Dumb barra caught in fact five dumb barra caught...Err need to find a better spot...less dumb barra Test No 3 Method used Hook removed ....The test proved beyond doubt that they dont work...No fish to the boat...A couple of fish tried to steal it but the hookup rate was nil...So these tests prove that this product does not work...Dont waste your money .. Next weeks test will be on hookless Hardbodys Stay tuned

It's interesting to see where people go with this, especially down the path of a defensive crew pulling figures out of the air on slcik rigs past or present capture rates. No one said lure x doesn't work. We can all pull figures out of hats, some anglers can pull figures out of history from 40 yrs ago. So does it all relate to the main feature of this thread- not really.
    Throw this idea in the midst and re-think the equation.
    Imagine that many anglers are on a lake in a competition, most are struggling to catch even one fish, yet a duo is pulling 4 or even 10 times more barra on a lure that has been painstakingly made to do way more than what it does direct from the bag. In simple, these 2 young men kick your butts, (on average). So now lets go back to the initial post in this thread and take a look at its advancing content. "Lures that swim on the free fall". A smart angler would have picked this up and would be down the pool already discovering concepts, pitfalls and extreme exciting advantages of a lure swimming dead slow and on the drop. Now from this, they have thought of new ways they can fish there lures, new areas in which they can do it and the smart guy would be going, "Oh yea, I remember the day I was winding straight, stopped to scratch my nose,,,,,and bang,,,,,,,,, a barra jumped on" Now that bloke is pages ahead, already thinking and already planning his next trip.
    One simple post to help advance fishing into the future- that's what it is, to give young and older men and women more to think about. Free info- you don't have to agree with it, but for those who do, and have done in the past, i'll see you advance forward also, along with many other quiet fisherman who chose to take the ball and run, and are now producing some very consistent results ( fish each trip), even in hard periods.
    When barra are hungry, they will track down a constantly forward moving lure, soft, hard, (trolling basics) etc. Any paddletail lure that goes 'pulse pulse pulse' will attract a fish. It is when the chips are down and when it seems everyone is struggling that they will find that a better tuned lure, fished alternately to straight line fishing will get best results. Just imagine where we might be today if "Storm" soft lure brand was first to be set in concrete, or where we may be today if another explorer had first discovered Australia. To catch a hungry fish is not that difficult, to catch one that doesn't want to bite is an art. To be able to produce that art, a collection of swim criteria needs to be met; some lures don't offer this, others certainly do.
    Johnny Mitchell

AAAAggghhh !!!! I thought I had finished spending LOL !!!!

Thanks for that advice Johnny. Thats great stuff. Off to the shop again .

Two questions. Do you reckon there is a minimum length plastic that you don't go under ??

And - I fised with Stillwater a couple years back and back then Brett wouldn't touch softies at Mondy. Hard body only. Is your first 'go to' lure at either dam a plastic or hardbody ?

Cheers

Peter

Peter,
    Some things limiting our lure size choice is gear selection and terrain.
    20-60mm long soft and hard lures are fair barra fodder, yet the hook sizes these lures often carry is a limiting factor. Small fish often make up barra food intake. Boof, boof on the surface and no strike for the angler can sometimes be a case of prey selection being way smaller than lure selection.
    I often start clients off with a soft lure (70% of the time). If fish are in the mood to eat a constantly moving lure, then the softy is a great start. Beside the fact that they cover lots of ground in a short time, they also give us information back about the barramundi's mood. Touches, nibbles, boils, strike type etc all fills the info sheet which gives us material to give a better plan for attacking the fish on the day. In an hour, a soft lure may cover twice the distance of a hard body, simply by a difference in techniques applied. In that hour, the information gained can set you up for the remainder.
    Cheers,
    Johnny

" I'm fishing up a Storm" was a interesting line by a Barra catching angler on AFC now wasn't it?

Some smart guy on here picked that line up a while ago and listed it on a thread a while back.

There is a bit of TV fish catching info on soft plastics. I would have liked to have seen footage of the plastic in the fishe's mouth after the capture, musn't have had enough room in the dvd to fit that bit in.

Cheers Lyndon.

Thumbs up Re: Soft plastic modifications- or ditch it?

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    Nagg, so does a prawn on a rusty hook catch a lot of bream, and so can an unmodified hard body catch barra direct from the pack. The point is that we can advance and do more with lures that have already had the home work done with them; have had the chop, the mods and the refinement work done in the past and been brought further along production lines with new designs and moulds. If the lure you mention is so successful direct from the bag, why do the Taylors attack it with scissors and a kettle?
    Jonny, have no doubt mate that Nagg is an experienced plastic surgeon second to none (well maybe the Taylors) he starts the day with the kettle,scissors, glue, colours, etc and a bin full of water to swim in.

Quote Originally Posted by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE View Post
    AAAAggghhh !!!! I thought I had finished spending LOL !!!!

Thanks for that advice Johnny. Thats great stuff. Off to the shop again .

Two questions. Do you reckon there is a minimum length plastic that you don't go under ??

And - I fised with Stillwater a couple years back and back then Brett wouldn't touch softies at Mondy. Hard body only. Is your first 'go to' lure at either dam a plastic or hardbody ?

Cheers

Peter

Peter,
    Some things limiting our lure size choice is gear selection and terrain.
    20-60mm long soft and hard lures are fair barra fodder, yet the hook sizes these lures often carry is a limiting factor. Small fish often make up barra food intake. Boof, boof on the surface and no strike for the angler can sometimes be a case of prey selection being way smaller than lure selection.
    I often start clients off with a soft lure (70% of the time). If fish are in the mood to eat a constantly moving lure, then the softy is a great start. Beside the fact that they cover lots of ground in a short time, they also give us information back about the barramundi's mood. Touches, nibbles, boils, strike type etc all fills the info sheet which gives us material to give a better plan for attacking the fish on the day. In an hour, a soft lure may cover twice the distance of a hard body, simply by a difference in techniques applied. In that hour, the information gained can set you up for the remainder.
    Cheers,
    Johnny
    Thanks for this Johnny!
    It is refreshing to see a straight question get a straight answer. Some good down to earth information from a reputable source without the politics and tin banging this thread and many others seem to degenerate to lately.

Truly I think most blokes are just interested in what works for others so they can give it a try. I for one get sick of reading through all the BS banter to get to the useful stuff.

Note: I am not having a go at any one here just thanking a bloke for getting back to what I perceive is the best use of this facility.

A font of helpful information, especially when based on experience.

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    " I'm fishing up a Storm" was a interesting line by a Barra catching angler on AFC now wasn't it?

Some smart guy on here picked that line up a while ago and listed it on a thread a while back.

There is a bit of TV fish catching info on soft plastics. I would have liked to have seen footage of the plastic in the fishe's mouth after the capture, musn't have had enough room in the dvd to fit that bit in.

Cheers Lyndon.
    The Storm Wild eye swim bait shads (aka Depth charge) are certainly favorites of mine ...... 4 , 5 & 6" sizes produce on a regular basis

a point to note ...... The ones sold in the hard blister packs have down graded hooks ( the hooks are as bad as the slick rig pro lites) >>> So make sure that you buy the ones in the soft pack

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Brainwashed is a word i'm trying not to write, but it just sums things up perfectly at times.

With what must be 100 thousand references to some plastics on this site isn't it ok to have just 1 or 2 threads on some other soft plastics?

So if you are a one brand soft plastic lover you have already had your 100 000 threads, so other brands of soft plastic threads have about 99 thousand plus threads to go to even up the research and time spent talking about how to get the best performance out of them. Do people have permission to do this pretty please? Or should we listen to the same song on the radio for the next 100 000 songs? How much fun would that be?

If people are not allowed to post threads on other lures and plastics what is that called?

Threads are designed to help people, if people can't do this then aren't we all just doing what the brainwashed want us to do e.g. be the same as them to make them feel better with their choice they have made? (Lure of Soft Plastic)

Well these last few posts have just opened up the door for many to comment on any of their threads and change the topic away from the main heading. Thanks for that permision slip, i can't wait for those thread opportunities to throw many soft plastics in to their specific soft plastic threads.

Whats Been Happening In The Impoundment Scene
    Everyone wants to know the answer to this question. Well this thread starter has opened a learning door with regards to what's been going on from a guides perspective in soft plastics in the impoundment barra scene, & some haven't liked the answers. Better get used to it with the flood of overseas soft plastics hitting the market.

I thought this thread was about a soft plastic that i personally know have worked on charter for years where hundreds of barra were caught each year by first timers, experienced anglers and guides. Surely we the public interested in improving our barra fishing would walk 100 miles in bare feet to get the latest barramundi information, let alone get it on here for free. No matter what lure or plastic they were fishing with, we just wanted to know more from someone at the fore-front of the battle against brother barramundi.

Do we want this Free info or not? Be clear with your answer in your own mind.

And if Free Barra info isn't printed will the same mob critical of this thread then play both sides and say " He doesn't help us on here anymore for free, we deserve all this info for free, he is a bad guy for not helping." Yet the same mob were critical when he was trying to help with info printed that's come directly from fish catching success. Think about this before typing please.

To say " I'm sorry but think you should be talking about another soft plastic because you don't like them that's why you have started this thread" is way off.
    Way, Way Way off and really is entering the area of no idea, just not getting it that there is another whole world of things going on in the barra scene, remember the impoundment is a very small part of this...
    Wow Marketing Works on some minds.

Have People Forgotten
    Did you see the squidgy in the first dvd?
    Did you see the squidgy in the second dvd?
    Did you see the squidgy product in the book?
    Did you see the squidgy sponsored people fishing in dvd?
    Did you see the squidgy sponsored people fishing in a book?
    And so on and so on.

He's filmed them, written about them, photographed them, filmed them swimming, filmed them catching fish so isn't this person allowed to talk about other plastics in a specific soft plastic thread?

Is someone a bad person for not talking about the soft plastic you want to talk about another 100 000 times. I mean get real. I think this might have more to do with it e.g. Human Nature. People don't want to think that they could have made a better decision in life or that others are a lot more advanced than them. This goes for all walks of life. From shooting to table tennis or driving.

E.g. Many running in the bridge to brisbane on the weekend bought shoes for performance and at times looks, as they didn't want people to think they were gumbies or sucked etc. I saw masses go for the Jordan & Woods brands, yet for their running style (Fishing style & application) at this time it wasn't the best selection.

Radar On or Off?
    A trained eye could spot the people with completely wrong or slightly wrong shoes for their chosen task on the weekend. Maybe it's just a trained eye doing the same on this thread topic?

Helpfull Knowledge
    Spotting running setups that were excellent with a lot of thought going in to them was harder compared to what the masses did, but near perfect setups were there and used well by thoughtfull people. But they needed to be pointed out to most people as this wan't general knowledge. They needed to be pointed out by someone that knew, isn't this happening on this thread? I don't think in general people know just how good these storm products are, so wouldn't you wanted to be pointed in the right direction?.

I think this is what has happened on this thread, some might have found out they have been outsmarted for the last several thousand barra fishing days but didn't realise it, now admitting it is hard. The Penny Dropped Like A Time Bomb. To talk about what they use makes them feel like they are on the right track, but are they once other barra research is printed over thousands of barra and observations/ trials?

Everyone can have a say i have no problem there, but if it's off track when the thread was helpfull i'm not sure if it should have been said in the first place. I would have rather been writing about some soft plastics than disagreeing with a thread post that's kinda missed the whole point of a thinking and observation thread on Storm Soft plastics & Hard bodies that have also been shown on this thread in helpfull posts.

Cheers Lyndon.

Quote Originally Posted by darylive View Post
    Jonny, have no doubt mate that Nagg is an experienced plastic surgeon second to none (well maybe the Taylors) he starts the day with the kettle,scissors, glue, colours, etc and a bin full of water to swim in.

Thanks for this Johnny!
    It is refreshing to see a straight question get a straight answer. Some good down to earth information from a reputable source without the politics and tin banging this thread and many others seem to degenerate to lately.

Truly I think most blokes are just interested in what works for others so they can give it a try. I for one get sick of reading through all the BS banter to get to the useful stuff.

Note: I am not having a go at any one here just thanking a bloke for getting back to what I perceive is the best use of this facility.
    A font of helpful information, especially when based on experience.

Well said Darryl, and I take your point as being one of the culprits. Its not fair on those aiming to get info.

Johnny, the last 2 posts on this page have been 2 of your most informative ever. Thankyou. I personally beleive every plastic that I have come across out of the box needs tinkering of some description....or has an inherant weakness that doesn't suit barra fishing. I was attempting to find out why Slickrigs are singled out as the main culrpit....I know why....and its not about the lure. Thats wrong IMHO. So, enough said from me about that. Here is simple for and against for a few mainstream plastics from various mobs that I have used...again this is just what I have found,

Slick rigs (old style):, good hooks, too heavy (not as heavy as some), reasonable durability, swimming issues straight out of pack, poor packaging, good colours..reasonable price

Slick rigs (pro range):- hooks terrible, reasonable weight, reasonable durability, swimming issues out of pack, poor packaging, I like the Sfactor, good colours, reasonable price

Berkley powermullets: good hooks (on bigger ones), way too heavy, good tail action, good colours, reasonable durability, reasonable price

Storm shads: hooks a bit weak, too heavy, good tail action, good colours, reasonable durability,reasonable price

Storm suspending shads: great weight, bad hooks/trebbles, good action-but only slow. price bit expensive-but they appear more refined in making. good packaging, OK durability, great colours

hollowbellys: great action -all speeds, no hooks, well packaged, bit expensive, too flimsy, great colours, good size range

shadolishous: great action - all speeds, limited colour range, well packaged, too flimsy, price-bit better value, size range good, no hooks.

Manns hardnose: good action all speeds,hard nose, more durable, has 1 weedless hook, poor colour range, price average, poor size range.

There is my honest thoughts on a basic range of plastics (out of packet) found in a high % of tackle boxes around at the moment...obviously there will be heaps of others. As you can see there a + and - for all.

Hope this helps someone.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hmmm ....... The only thing I agree with you on is - MARKETING ! & shimano (fishing) do it better than anyone here in OZ

The reality is ..... like it or not

THOSE SLICK RIGS CATCH BARRA ....... no hype & no sponsorship

More barra have been landed on my boat ..... on a unmodified slick rig than any other lure or placcy - Once again...... No hype / sponsorship

My mate ....... still fishes a slick rig like he did 2 years ago - & he still catches barra ( consistently) .... ..... Try telling him to dump them for something else

Chris
    A slow retrieved unmodified Slick Rig will catch Barra out of the packet,no question.We don't buy them because Mr Squidgy says so,we buy em cos along with others they work.As regards reducing them with a bit of garlic,blah,blah.after what i did with one in a the microwave No thanks,to chewy
    Paulo

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    Brainwashed is a word i'm trying not to write, but it just sums things up perfectly at times.

With what must be 100 thousand references to some plastics on this site isn't it ok to have just 1 or 2 threads on some other soft plastics?

So if you are a one brand soft plastic lover you have already had your 100 000 threads, so other brands of soft plastic threads have about 99 thousand plus threads to go to even up the research and time spent talking about how to get the best performance out of them. Do people have permission to do this pretty please? Or should we listen to the same song on the radio for the next 100 000 songs? How much fun would that be?

If people are not allowed to post threads on other lures and plastics what is that called?

Threads are designed to help people, if people can't do this then aren't we all just doing what the brainwashed want us to do e.g. be the same as them to make them feel better with their choice they have made? (Lure of Soft Plastic)

Well these last few posts have just opened up the door for many to comment on any of their threads and change the topic away from the main heading. Thanks for that permision slip, i can't wait for those thread opportunities to throw many soft plastics in to their specific soft plastic threads.

Whats Been Happening In The Impoundment Scene
    Everyone wants to know the answer to this question. Well this thread starter has opened a learning door with regards to what's been going on from a guides perspective in soft plastics in the impoundment barra scene, & some haven't liked the answers. Better get used to it with the flood of overseas soft plastics hitting the market.

I thought this thread was about a soft plastic that i personally know have worked on charter for years where hundreds of barra were caught each year by first timers, experienced anglers and guides. Surely we the public interested in improving our barra fishing would walk 100 miles in bare feet to get the latest barramundi information, let alone get it on here for free. No matter what lure or plastic they were fishing with, we just wanted to know more from someone at the fore-front of the battle against brother barramundi.

Do we want this Free info or not? Be clear with your answer in your own mind.

And if Free Barra info isn't printed will the same mob critical of this thread then play both sides and say " He doesn't help us on here anymore for free, we deserve all this info for free, he is a bad guy for not helping." Yet the same mob were critical when he was trying to help with info printed that's come directly from fish catching success. Think about this before typing please.

To say " I'm sorry but think you should be talking about another soft plastic because you don't like them that's why you have started this thread" is way off.
    Way, Way Way off and really is entering the area of no idea, just not getting it that there is another whole world of things going on in the barra scene, remember the impoundment is a very small part of this...
    Wow Marketing Works on some minds.

Have People Forgotten
    Did you see the squidgy in the first dvd?
    Did you see the squidgy in the second dvd?
    Did you see the squidgy product in the book?
    Did you see the squidgy sponsored people fishing in dvd?
    Did you see the squidgy sponsored people fishing in a book?
    And so on and so on.

He's filmed them, written about them, photographed them, filmed them swimming, filmed them catching fish so isn't this person allowed to talk about other plastics in a specific soft plastic thread?

Is someone a bad person for not talking about the soft plastic you want to talk about another 100 000 times. I mean get real. I think this might have more to do with it e.g. Human Nature. People don't want to think that they could have made a better decision in life or that others are a lot more advanced than them. This goes for all walks of life. From shooting to table tennis or driving.

E.g. Many running in the bridge to brisbane on the weekend bought shoes for performance and at times looks, as they didn't want people to think they were gumbies or sucked etc. I saw masses go for the Jordan & Woods brands, yet for their running style (Fishing style & application) at this time it wasn't the best selection.

Radar On or Off?
    A trained eye could spot the people with completely wrong or slightly wrong shoes for their chosen task on the weekend. Maybe it's just a trained eye doing the same on this thread topic?

Helpfull Knowledge
    Spotting running setups that were excellent with a lot of thought going in to them was harder compared to what the masses did, but near perfect setups were there and used well by thoughtfull people. But they needed to be pointed out to most people as this wan't general knowledge. They needed to be pointed out by someone that knew, isn't this happening on this thread? I don't think in general people know just how good these storm products are, so wouldn't you wanted to be pointed in the right direction?.

I think this is what has happened on this thread, some might have found out they have been outsmarted for the last several thousand barra fishing days but didn't realise it, now admitting it is hard. The Penny Dropped Like A Time Bomb. To talk about what they use makes them feel like they are on the right track, but are they once other barra research is printed over thousands of barra and observations/ trials?

Everyone can have a say i have no problem there, but if it's off track when the thread was helpfull i'm not sure if it should have been said in the first place. I would have rather been writing about some soft plastics than disagreeing with a thread post that's kinda missed the whole point of a thinking and observation thread on Storm Soft plastics & Hard bodies that have also been shown on this thread in helpfull posts.

Cheers Lyndon.
    Have as many threads on as many plastics as you like. I am all for it. Free info? great, if you want to do it, we all benefit. Outsmarting JM....No way!! not even close to his knowledge or standard. I just like fairness and equity in info in a thread, and not just a straight out degredation of a product that does work because you dont like the marketing, company or some of the blokes that are sponsored by them...thats what I disagree with. Simple.

But I have now found lately, no one is allowed to disagree with you guys or some or question your motivations behind things, or you threaten to pick up your bat and ball and go home.

Do we want free infomation? - Yes...if its given for the right reasons thats all I ask...I can get plenty of free info from the sexy slick rig DVD's and DVDs for any product.....but do I beleive all that?? NO..I/we would be fools to!!.......Do I believe Johnny...YES...Why?? because he has always been unbias and respected for those traits.

Why doesn't Johnny (or yourself) show us, or tell us some of the modifications that he, or the Taylors use on slick rigs as part of this post........and please dont belittle us by saying 'they are far too advanced...the blokes on here arn't ready for that...not at same learning level bla bla blah'....we are not at the same level and we know it....to me the title says it all. Soft plastic modifications-or ditch it??

Lots and lots of people (myself included) respect the author...and will probably just ditch them on his word. I just wanted to ensure the motivation for ditching them was lures ability.....and not a personal crusade against a product, which in my own heart still think it is.

I apologise to Johny for hijacking....I promise I will only contribute positive information on any modifications or tweeking that may assist anyone in the future. To have your valuble info not posted would be a kick in the guts for many on here that learn heaps from you, again myself included...so I will stop now to avoid that.

Steve