Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: World Rod Project

Re: World Rod Project

Mark,
    I don't know Paul's work (unless he posts under a pseudonym), but if you're confident in it then I'm happy.
    The world rod was a heavy spin rod. Mainly so that there was enough size to it to fit a weave, cross wrap etc.
    It was Batson blank about 20-50lb, but I can't remember the model.

The other option if a smaller blank is the target is to do the weave on a piece of graphite tube in the split grip area. That way the diameter is a bit bigger, so you can get a more detailed weave in. Plus it allows two people to be working on the rod at the same time because I don't need the rod.

At the end of the day I can fit something onto anything.
    We just need to decide on a theme and a style.

Maybe we should do a poll on "what's your dream rod" ?
    As in style/specs rather than brand of components.

Maybe a matched game/boat rod & gaff set?
    Moves you up in the high end of the market where people spend money, but drops the numbers in the target.

Plastic flinging sticks are all the rage these days, so potential numbers increase.

I'm easy whichever way.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Owen, Pauls work is top knotch i have one of his light spin handles im going to put on a Black Shadow blank.Just waiting for the gold cermets to arrive.When they do i'll put it together and post it here.
    Graham
    [Ive had this handle for a long time and dont know if he is still in northern N.S.W. }

The world rod has had some more progress.
    It has been in Brazil with Jorge Pozzebon.
    We were expecting one of his awesome cross wraps, but he has surprised us all with some non-thread art!
    He has added the trims to my weave so it all matches.

Next it's off to Chris Ward in the UK and then back to Doc Ski in the US where it will be raffled for charity.
    Cheers,
    Owen

It's really coming together now, looking good.

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

The rod is looking great. Can't wait to see the finished result. Owen can you let me know when the raffle comes around. I wouldn't mind winning it!

I spoke to Peter Williams a week or so ago and he is more than willing to supply a blank for us for the "Down Under Project". I still have to chase Paul up and see if he is willing to do the grips. If Ross doesn't read this, I will also contact him and see if he would do the guides and epoxy.

Regards
    Mark

hi mark, owen and co. great work getting the oz rod project happening. mark as i was reading through the posts i figured peter would be the man to talk to re the blank. i missed the afta show last year, but should be right for this year. might see you on peter's booth again?
    cheers
    andrew

Well the World Rod has finally been completed.
    Due to personal illness and the death of his father, Doc Ski has not ben able to get to it for a while, but it was worth the wait.

Here's his story...

It has been a LONG journey in many ways but the World Rod started by Mark Blabaum a long time ago is now done. I was the last to add to this masterpiece and it took a while since I have been so sick, lame and lazy(old military line). My original plan was to do something way out with Matt but our schedules never seemed to jive and I decided to just do something more mainstream. This project got its start in Marks head(now that is SCARY), pretty sure on line and grew legs. It started it's journey when the parts left Batsons in Washington headed for my house. Next leg of the trip was to head out to Mark Blabaum in Wisconsin. Now we all know Mark is the Wizard of Wood(not substantiated by his wife ) and he did not disappoint. This handle is too cool for words so just gaze at the pics and wish. From there it went to Owen Dare in Australia which is quite the jaunt. Owen the Pictoweave program designer put his skills with computer and thread to stay in theme with the handle and made the most impressive funnel weave spider I have ever seen. He nailed it and then he assembled Marks handle. From there it went on another long voyage(litterally) to Jorge Pozzobon in Brazil. Jorge put paint to work to do a 360 degree painting also staying in the Spider and web theme. Next it goes back north of the Equator to Chris Ward in England. Can you imagine all the stamps on the case by now? Chris got to work on the guides and came up with and "outside the box idea". Actually I have never seen the technique but it worked great on this build to continue to bring in the spider web idea. It is almost like one of JT Dragon scales only inside out. Chris then sent it to me where I thought and thought. The work already done on this masterpiece was incredible. I finally decided not to try to out do anyone but thought a Tribal Spider would work to keep this puppy Classy. Originally it was going to be raffled off at the rod show out here but I decided this is REALLY Marks conseption and I want him to decide on it final resting place. Hope he is still thinking raffle. Also we need to recognize the support of Jim Lueck of the Texas Rod Builders(TRB) for graciously supporting the project by picking up the shipping charges. Believe me that was no cheap bill. I dont know where else you could get so many to put so much effort into a project like this----that's the rod building world I am proud to be a part of. Enjoy the pics folks.
    And the pics..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Cheers,
    Owen

BLOODY HELL ,that is one amazing rod , and the combined skill to get it all together WOW . can't wait to see what you guys do , you know this helps to inspire us .