Thread: jig design

jig design

why do vertical jigs have 3 hook positions, when supposedly there should only be one hook in the top position?

just curious

Mick

Re: jig design

I guess the same reason why back in the 70's and 80's they only had one hook on the bottom! it is just the "trend" rear only hooks caught fish back them, same as they would now, or a centre hook, or a top hook, and a combination of these will also catch fish.

The assist hook is not so much a trend as an innovation as even though it's attached to the top it covers about 1/2 the jig, Tuna and Mac's are partial to hooking up on the bottom hooked jigs but are best used in deeper water so as not to get snagged. Using the assist hooks on Stickbaits and Poppers accounted for most hookups on GT's on a recent Nomad trip

I'll keep trying it both ways, with and without bottom hook to monitor the outcomes

I am firmly convinced that the middle position hook is a waste of time.

However, the bottom hook has been working for me on trevally. the best success I have had is with a big single 8/0 tru turn on the tail of a lumo 80 gram jig.

Both top and bottom hook ups, but more were on the bottom hook.

I am amazed at how many of the trevally had the big single right down their gob like they were eating the whole jig. Pic below is a mouth hook up, but some had it right down there.

all a good fun learning exercise

cheers

Mick

after a lot of research, and a healthy number of 3 to 5 kg trevally on jigs, I have come to the following conclusion about the bottom hooks.......

it appears to me that on relatively small fish (sub 4 kg), that the bottom hook is advantageous.

from research, it appears that on big (massive) fish, there must not be a bottom hook because it would most likely prevent a good hookup. research indicates that really big fish inhale the entire jig, therefore a bottom hook would probably foul too early and cause a missed hook up, or a hook up that will break free.

very interesting topic, keen to learn more

don't quite see the reasoning that if a fish "inhales" a jig, that the bottom hook will or could foul, or reduce the possibility of a solid hookup, regardless of the size of the fish, but happy to hear any true logical/scientific reasons.