Thread: 1986 Mercury ?

1986 Mercury ?

I have an 1986 or 88 mercury
    Q;1 the mercury switch has been disconected on mine,
    What dose it do and should it be reconected?

Q;2 at the remote box, theres a 3 pin plug that goes to the trim[all good there].
    At the front of the remote the is another 3pin jack .
    l do have a plug and wireing for it, but dont know what its used for?

Q;3 I need to adgust my throttle.
    Its all play till the last 30mm to 50mm,
    Is there any danger is over advancining by mistake and stuffing up the motor?

Any help with one or all would be great.

Re: 1986 Mercury ?

Hi again,

Q # 2 the 3 pin wire outa the control ( short ) goes to your rpm gauge,
    I'lll try and help you as you need it,

Q # 3 are you talking about the f/n/r control movement on the lever? the first part of the movment is for gear change, from there it will start to move the throtle on the engine side of it, if the last 30 to 50mm moves the throtle at the carb fr idle to WOT then that good,

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by dreemon View Post
    Hi again,

Q # 2 the 3 pin wire outa the control ( short ) goes to your rpm gauge,
    I'lll try and help you as you need it,

Q # 3 are you talking about the f/n/r control movement on the lever? the first part of the movment is for gear change, from there it will start to move the throtle on the engine side of it, if the last 30 to 50mm moves the throtle at the carb fr idle to WOT then that good,

Cheers
    Q;2 l thought as mutch but as theres no wire to the motor [tilt pump only]l had my doubts.

Q;3 Yes on the f/n/r but theres not enough rev's 30mm to 50mm end of travel at control

Does it have the main cable to the engine for elect start etc ?

I know theres adjustment in the control box end of cable if its pulling one way too much and you can get abit more, I remember I had to think about it needing to push more for max and the idle side came good,

ya need to have the cowl off and trial end error with control connected

yes to the main cable elect start
    so does that mean the wireing harness is ready to acsess he taco.

yes, ready to connect taco, if the wire colours are the same it's heaps easier, on mine there were 3 outa control , but only needed 2 to run the tach, the extra , if one might be to power other gauges,

my colours are green , black and yellow, green is pulse, black ground and thats what made mine work, yellow Is power when ignition is on or running

Quote Originally Posted by swampman62 View Post
    I have an 1986 or 88 mercury
    Q;1 the mercury switch has been disconected on mine,
    What dose it do and should it be reconected?

Q;2 at the remote box, theres a 3 pin plug that goes to the trim[all good there].
    At the front of the remote the is another 3pin jack .
    l do have a plug and wireing for it, but dont know what its used for?

Q;3 I need to adgust my throttle.
    Its all play till the last 30mm to 50mm,
    Is there any danger is over advancining by mistake and stuffing up the motor?

Any help with one or all would be great.
    Q1. The role of the mercury switch is a safety device to inhibit the engine from starting when the leg is trimmed up. Strange it would be disconnected as they rarely give trouble.

Q2. As mentioned, tacho and power for other instruments

Q3. The control lever will normally move about 45 degrees from vertical at which time it will engage the gear (forward or reverse depending on which way you moved the lever). After gear engagement the mechanism then picks up the throttle. From your description its hard to know if the controls are operating as they should. Are they? If you have freeplay issues, then it could be the cables, wear in the control box or incorrectly adjusted cables at the engine end.

Cheers