Thread: What fly gear for Barra?

Question What fly gear for Barra?

Hi everyone,

I was just wondering... what is the best outfit weights for open water barra? I am looking at buying an outfit in the next week or so just not sure what weights.

Thanks in advance for your help!
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

Re: What fly gear for Barra?

hi there you will need at least a 10wt to punch a fly a long way and mannage the fish that are swimming around these days i hope this helps.

FINALY! Thanks mate, I have a 8-9wt so if I cant use that, I won't beable to flyfish for barra I also dont have ANY barra or saltwater flies... it was my birthday yesterday and I got a Gillies 8-9wt Saltwater Fly rod.... so I guess im at a loss this 1wt too light and no flies.

Thank you for replying.
    Cheers, Bandit

hi there barrabanit never say never that will be ok in the salt and in open areas but you will fell a bit under done in and around the sticks a 8-9wt is realy an 8wt but will cast a 9wt line but at a shorter distance and when you get some flies get some pinkthings and some clousers.

Thanks Chris,

Not looking to flyfish in the sticks... just out in the open. Any ideas where I can get afew flies for peanuts, cant affored much right now... well I guess you get what you pay for... fly reel is going to cost abit as I dont want a graphite one (I am looking at one in a larger size in the same model one I have for trout/bass).

Any ideas?
    Cheers, Bandit

hi mate, i know its a bit late but if your still after a reel ive got a mid priced 10w reel that i dont use if your interested, send me a pm and ill give you some details

Hi Bandit,
    I wouldn't stay awake at night worrying about the difference between a 8 or9#. I fished the Darwin freshwater comp this year and there were plenty of larger fish taken on 7,8 and 9#. If you are fishing open water then all the better. Work low with the rod after hook up and let them use cover any available turf.
    Not sure how the reel thing panned out for you but I own a fair collection of reels, ranging from Lamsons to the garden variety. One cheapo that has served me well is a reel called a P4 which I picked up at Fishead at Victoria Point in Brisbane.
    It's not a reel that you would chase longtail on day after day, but it has sure been a great work horse boating some sold fighting fish. At the time I think it set me back around the $80 mark. It does require a bit of TLC with cleaning with warm soapy water after each trip, but hey, I look after all my gear like that.
    Wayne Kamp gave a great talk at our fly club last meeting.Hi talk was on chasing the giant jumping carp in impoundments . Wayne uses 8,9# for the lion's share of his barra work, and has the runs on the board to boot. Some of the barra in his slide show resembled Volkswagen's.
    For flies check out Gurglers and Wiggle Minnow's for your early morning and late afternoon surface work on floating line and Pink or Black/ Orange Things and Decievers in the similar colours to the Things
    Check out the fly tying at www. fishonfly.com.au

Cheers
    Bassbuster
    Fly rods were made to bend!

Try this for cost efficient flies.

http://troutflies.com.au/store/index...iewCat&catId=8