Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bad Fish

Re: Bad Fish

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    I have been told by many they are good chewin. I have also been hit by them. I have seen them in the fish mongers for sale. I have caught these suckers from woollongong in NSW to Caloundra in Qld. Im afraid I am not even going to try filleting them to see how good they are on the plate.

My method is to get the long nose pliers and shake them off the hook, dont want them anywhere near me. The best treatment for a sting is hot water, as hot as you can stand it.....but who has that with them when they are fishing in the areas these guys are usually encountered.

Greg
    Have seen them for sale at Springwood fish mongers and even at Scarborough as Black Trevally, the asians seem to love them.

Heaps are caught at Caloundra boardwark when the luderick are on. As to hot water I now take a thermos flask with me in the boat, got stung by a Scorpion Cod offshore last year and my mate had brought his along to make tea. Stuck my thumb into a mug of extremly hot water and it eased the pain very quickly. Good for Stingray barbs too as a mate of mine found out.

there called happy moments cos its a bloody happy moment when the pain stops..1 wouldnt be going in my esky this much i know

Funny thing is, they are top jack bait.

Chappy

you most certainly get them in the north.

trip before last....I flipped a little fella about 50mm long into the bait bucket out of the cast net in the ross.......bro inlaw pointed it out in no uncertain terms.....and explained that it was my problem to get it out.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

I live on a canal estate in Raby Bay Brisbane and there are heaps of these brutes under my jetty.

They go to almost a kilo in size and if bled immediately they are not too bad to eat - bit like a luderick or black bream.

The local netters catch them by the squillions - no size limit - and the Asian fraternity clean out the entire load at the fish markets every morning!

I have been hit by one of the big ones and it does redefine your definition of pain - really bad!

My brother worked on the trawlers and he said oil of cloves seemed to work good
    to help deaden the pain. His theory was if it worked on toothache it must be good.

To each his/her own I suppose

cheers Bob

Quote Originally Posted by aussie_true_blue View Post
    My brother worked on the trawlers and he said oil of cloves seemed to work good
    to help deaden the pain. His theory was if it worked on toothache it must be good.

To each his/her own I suppose

cheers Bob
    Chewing your own hand/foot off would also be effective at lessening the pain.

They hurt, and hurt bad!

Often seen at Morgans in the tubs in the wet fish section, and can be found in plague proportions off the stones at Hells Gates in Noosa National Park

Happy moments and the red rock cod (red Harry), spray wd40 or crc direct on the area and the pain goes instantly.
    Don't ask me why, my father told me so and I can tell you from experience it works

cheers

I have caught heaps of these little buggers of the jetty at Amity point North Stradie. The first time I caught one I was about to grab it and get it off my hook.
    Next minute one of the locals screamed at me "don't touch him mate or you will be in a world of pain"
    That was 10 years ago and since then I have saved loads of people from the same fate They do fight well for a small fish but I don't think I will be eating one any time soon.

I think the recognized common name is rabbit fish, though I have always known them as happy moments. They are in the townsville aquarium I think.

I caught one on a chubby on Sunday morning in raby bay canals. Went hard for its size

I had the unfortunate expierence of being stung by one many years ago extremely painful for a few hours.
    I wish I had known about the digging there eyes out theory it may not of helped the pain but I sure would of felt better.
    There is no way I would put one of these in my esky.
    Cheers Axl

Fantastic live baits believe it or not. Jew and Cobia are very partial to them if you can keep the cod away first that is.
    Been stung quite a lot by them over the yrs, and i reckon the stings these days are a lot less painful than in yrs gone by. Could be resistance or it could be dementure, either way they dont bother me much these days.
    BTW they are fantastic smoked whole.
    Jack.

yes have to agree fantastic live bait for big fish, cobia cod spanish macks,

never been hit by one but have laughed a bit at others who have been, seen somebodys hand swell up to the size of a football.
    The Rainbowrunner
    Peter Hansler
    phansler@hotmail.com
    Click here for my webpage
    Click here for my videos

Give a man a fish, he'll eat it and fall asleep.

Teach a man to fish and he'll endanger an entire species