Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: Gel batteries and lead acid batteries on line?

Re: Gel batteries and lead acid batteries on line?

Well with all the fact and myth combined in this thread we will need a Royal commission to answer the question of will these batteries work in this situation. Well done lads, 7 pages of rant with no solution to the debate.

Do yourselves a favour and accept your differing points of view.
    Jack.

not good enough for you

here it is again off optima's US web site.... optima.com.......they obviously think its a common enough issue to put in their FAQ.
    Oh and what about a similar statement from sonnenschein...hmm isnt that a manufacturer.

seriously I didn't have to look far.

Can I hook up an OPTIMA battery in parallel with my other battery?

No, when hooking batteries together in parallel they should be of identical make, model and of similar age.

Back to top Can I use an isolator with an OPTIMA battery?

Yes, most any type of battery separator or solenoid can be used with an OPTIMA. The important thing to remember is that the charging voltage must be within the limits suggested by OPTIMA Batteries. If you are using an OPTIMA and a conventional battery, your system must charge each battery independently. Remember, some isolators cause a voltage drop, so make sure your charging voltage AT THE BATTERY is sufficient. Continued undercharging of a battery will lead to premature failure and a drop in capacity.

There is a solution.
    As I have posted earlier
    lots of people do install dissimilar batteries and get away with it, with possibly some reduced Battery performance and Battery Life....... but they get satisfactory service in their view.

simple relay bassed dual battery systems will at least let the main start battery charge to a reasonable point before connecting the auxiluary battery and disconnect at some point after the motor is turned off......................there are thousands of these out there, both packaged as marine and 4WD products............they are known as voltage sensitive relays.
    you can get one of these for arround $140... from a marine supplier...( bep or blue sea brabd).........it isnt the be all but its better than nothing and they seem to work

you could install a proportional charging device, that charges the batteries in turn or proportionaly......these will cost you a lot more but will also provide a charge monitoring display for bothe batteries and possibly other stuff.

or to run a dual alternator system.

using similar batteries would not be a bad idea either

As for ambulances... they frown on leaving them running because it can fill the cabin with exhaust fumes.
    They leave fire engines running because they need the motor to drive the pumps.

Hmm .....so where do you recon you stand with your warranty on a optima battery in a mixed charging situation.

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

So oldboot, considering the thousand plus Discovery 3s that I know of that have them paralleled and not having a problem, verses how many have you seen that have problems.

That’s right, you haven’t seen nor can you refer to a single one that has played up.

Problem for you oldboot is that it IS being done without any of your mythical problems and failures occurring.

Furthermore, it has taken you 5 days of googling to ONE bit of info to try to back your mythical theories and even that does not say what will happen if you do parallel dissimilar batteries and as posted previously, in series set ups, that info it paramount and the problems a well known and documented, in Parallel set ups, it has not proven to be a problem, especially the problems that you have claimed but seem to have been unable to validate.

5 days to find one single bit of info to try to backup all your rhetoric, desperate, mate.

Would you like another 5 or 10 days to see if you can find an actual problem, you know like all the mythical problems you keep referring to but continue to be unable to give one single example of.

Also as posted, if you had any real experience in this field, you should have been able to give examples of your theoretical problems in your first post and not spend hours trying to find possible connections to your theories.

Keep googling mate.

mate 10 minutes googling the brand you mentioned.

optima and the manufacturer is pretty clear on their view on the situation.

consider that the optima battery is a very tough quality item and more likley to tolerate out of spec aplications than many others........ but they see fit to clearly state their position on all their associate web sites.

I already knew where to find the sonnenschein reference... they are pretty clear on their view on the situation.

these are references from two of the top multinational battery manufacturer brands in their field.

facts... evidence......from creditable sources...that anybody can check.

any more effort on my part is a waste of my time.

As I have said several times before....... you will probaly get away with it........but I doubt that any manufacturer will recomend it as best practice.

cheers

Again, oldboot you made claims that connecting batteries in parallel will literally cause the world to end.

Not once have you given one single example of a fault caused when batteries have been connected in parallel.

As to your two battery sites. One states that their battery should not be charged with a voltage higher than 14.4 volts, fine but that battery is NOT an automotive battery and the site makes no reference to it being used in automotive situations. So you can scratch that one as supporting your myths.

Add to this that I know of a number of people who do use this brand of battery in their CTs and in a parallel set ups and don’t have any problems. So even a battery not intended for automotive use can still be used, in a parallel set up a not suffer from any of your mythical doomsday problems.

Even the Optima site states you SHOULD not parallel them, and still does not give any reason for why you SHOULD not and again, as I have posted, too many people are doing just that, paralleling Optima batteries with other types of batteries and not one of your mythical theories of doomsday as come to pass.

The facts speak for themselves, tens of thousands of people using paralleled dissimilar batteries on a daily basis are all wrong according to you, it’s pretty obvious who is wrong.

For the umpteenth time, if there are so many risks, according to your unsubstantiated scare mongering, why can’t you give one single example of where paralleling batteries has caused a problem?

Folks, I’ve wasted enough of your time and I stand by my hands on experience and have never seen or heard of a problem that has been put down to batteries, similar or dissimilar, being connected in parallel.

On the other hand, oldboot has yet to give one single example that there is a problem.

I’ll leave it at that and not waste any more of your time.

Dnej, mate you will just have to come to your own conclusions.

I think the evidence is there. Multiple quotes from battery manufacturs that state DO NOT CONNECT DIFFERENT SIZES OR TYPES OF BATTERIES IN PARALLEL. Or a single person saying you can. Draw your own conclusion.

Sonnenschein dryfit Prevailer/Solar bloc for DIN metric case sizes.
    &
    Deka Gel-Tech for BCI - USA case sizes
    NOTE. DIN cases are smaller - lighter and have the Positive Posts on the left. BCI cases are slightly larger, heavier with the Positive Post right.)

Marine and RV Batteries, both Starting and Deep Cycle.

The above header is lifted from a page that discusses among other things charging gell batteries with rotary alternators.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealAndy View Post
    I think the evidence is there. Multiple quotes from battery manufacturs that state DO NOT CONNECT DIFFERENT SIZES OR TYPES OF BATTERIES IN PARALLEL. Or a single person saying you can. Draw your own conclusion.
    No Andy, what this is, is three individuals claiming you can’t connect batteries in parallel with out bring on Armageddon, but not once has any one of these three scare mongering doomsday sayers, who seem hell bent on getting unsuspecting people to spend heap of money on thing they don’t need, produced one single example of their doomsday theories, verses someone who actually works in this section of the auto electrical industry, who has thousands of customers, who have been paralleling batteries for decades and not a problem.

Just as I have repeatedly asked oldboot, Andy, hows about producing one single example of a problem caused by paralleling batteries. Come on mate, your so sure it’s going to happen, how come it’s so hard for you, cormorant or oldboot to come up with an example of a “known problem”.

Or could it be that there are no known problems?

And mate, your right on the money, people can draw their on conclusions!

Sheesh, let it go. There's two ways of going about it, end of story. Nobody ever puts forward a decent case by getting fired up on an internet forum.

Quote Originally Posted by driveon View Post

Even the Optima site states you SHOULD not parallel them, and still does not give any reason for why you SHOULD not and again, as I have posted, too many people are doing just that, paralleling Optima batteries with other types of batteries and not one of your mythical theories of doomsday as come to pass.
    It's pretty simple really, Optima want to sell you a pair of batteries rather than a single battery and who could blame them that's their business. I've been running a kmart wet cell hooked up with a yellow top for over five years without problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie View Post
    I've been running a kmart wet cell hooked up with a yellow top for over five years without problem.
    Hi Charlie, the mere fact that you have got five years out of the Kmart battery should clearly demonstrate that connecting dissimilar batteries in parallel is not the doomsday scenario as some would like us believe.