Thread: Loss of Legend John Haines Sr OAM passes away

Loss of Legend John Haines Sr OAM passes away

On Saturday John Haines Sr, Order of Australia passed away.
    \\Fron teh web site:

Brother’s John Snr and Garry Haines started their backyard fibreglass boat building business Haines Hunter in the 1960’s which soon became one the most awarded fibreglass boat builders in Australia and New Zealand.
    The success of Haines Hunter during the 1960’s attracted questionable admiration from overseas interests, and while the Haines brothers welcomed the new shareholders and directors into the business in the early 1970's; by 1980 they were forced out of their own company through a bitter legal dispute.
    John Haines Snr (AM) started boat building again in the 1980’s, unveiling the first of his Signature series boats which were to become the biggest selling fibreglass brand that decade.

Re: Loss of Legend John Haines Sr OAM passes away

I'm truly sorry to hear that.
    Another fair-dinkum legend has departed us.
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Thanks for the advice Gary.
    Very sad to hear of John's passing away as he made a significant contribution to the boating industy in Australia. His legacy is many outstanding bluewater hulls that were well ahead of their time from the days when he was Haines Hunter before it was sold and a myriad of boats rebadged. Interesting that subsequent owners who tried to improve on his designs in subsequent years IMO never achieved the performance of his originals.
    What he developed and pioneered with his "new" Signature range was outstanding too and he certainly had a massive level of respect from all his peers in the industry.
    Fortunately the name lives on with his family still producing great boats to satisfy the recreational market.

Bill

Sad to hear.

I know I'm not alone in growing up with a succession of the original Haines Hunters as part of the family.

R.I.P. John Haines.

Your memory and legacy will live on.

Cheers

phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Marine industry mourns death of iconic boatbuilder

24 Aug 2009
    John Haines Snr, the founder of the iconic Haines Hunter and Signature boat brands, has died. It is understood Haines Snr had been battling cancer. He passed away on Saturday and his funeral will be held at 3pm Wednesday 26th August at at Centenary Gardens, 353 Wacol Station Road, Sumner Park.
    Marine Business will publish a tribute to Haines Snr in an upcoming edition. All of us at Marine Business magazine pass on our sympathies to the Haines family.
    The Haines family has respectfully requested that no flowers be sent. Donations can be made to the palliative care section of the Wesley Hospital (details below) to assist them with their incredible selfless work.
    Wesley Hospital Palliative Care Unit
    Po Box 499, Toowong QLD 4066
    Ph: Ray Crompton on (07) 3232 7166

What a legend to follow in the wake of, and the bar he has set.
    Will now be interesting to see how the sons handle picking up the challenge, and improving and already rock solid name recognized highly by the boating industry.

Rest in peace Mr Haines, and thank you for your contribution the legend lives on.

Eric