Thread: Flounder in Port Phillip

Flounder in Port Phillip

Been considering buying some waders recently, water is starting to get warmer and I think its time I had a crack at spearing some flounder.. I know its not actual spearfishing, but I think this is most appropriate forum.

I've got a light and spear from my old man, just lookin for some areas around Port Phillip that I could possibly go floundering.. I'm based in North Melbourne but I can travel pretty much anywhere within reason.

Used to go many years ago in Tassie around the Swan Basin and Macquarie Heads areas on the West Coast, and did very well.. had some funny nights with holes in catch bags etc. managed to make the local paper, some how the word got out... mongrels!

Re: Flounder in Port Phillip

Hi

We used to go at Rosebud with a good underwater light.

Got a tractor tube and made a carrier for the centre to support a battery and the flounder.

Watch out for your toes with the spread, multipointed hand spear

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Tractor tube is a good idea. How did you go about waterproofing the battery and terminals? Did you use pre-made bag?

Blow the tractor or truck tube up well and make a frame across the top to hold a basket or similar well clear of the water so the battery etc is not in the water.

Dont need water proof fittings as you attach a rope and pull the the tube from some meters away with rope around the waist.

Hold spear in right hand and light (with its lead longer than the rope)under water on the end of a handle. Move slow and smooth sweeping light back and forth and spear a feed.

Enjoy

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Awesome idea!! thanks chimo.. now to find a tractor tube!