Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Stabi 759v Barcrusher HT 760vOceanMaster Marine 741vHaines Hunter Patriot 680

Smile Stabi 759v Barcrusher HT 760vOceanMaster Marine 741vHaines Hunter Patriot 680

Hi all,

Advise needed from all and sundry please!
    I am in a good position of moving up to a bigger boat and need some advise. I have narrowed it down to a Stabicraft 759 SuperCab Sport, the new Barcrusher 760 HT, the Ocean Master Marine 741 or a Patriot 680

I intend to use for long trips as well as camping with the family, often beaching the boat, and going out again when the tide comes back in. I am in Darwin. Every dealer that I talk to says that there boat is better, naturally. I will test all before deciding and handing over the money, naturally.

First question: Will the Patriot be ok beached
    Which would you prefer, and briefly, why?

Thanks to all in advance. The more expensive ones, I will look for low Hours second hand models, which I should be able to find and truck up fairly easily.

Regards,

B

Re: Stabi 759v Barcrusher HT 760vOceanMaster Marine 741vHaines Hunter Patriot 680

to be honest i think they would all be pretty much the same it would mainly just be the layout that would seal the deal to me. i would probably lean towards the 759 stabi is the seam to be a very stable boat, and i didnt mind there layout altho they are more expensive i think.. we have a 560 bc and are very happy with it for its size have been in some crappy weather so i would assume the 760 would be alot better altho havent seen one in person yet so really dont know about there new model.
    560c Bar Crusher "Overtime"

Re: Stabi 759v Barcrusher HT 760vOceanMaster Marine 741vHaines Hunter Patriot 680

Hi Betrade

Dont know the answer to your question except that i would probably avoid FRP unless your always going to have sand or mud under you when the tide goes out.

To assist you to make your coice IMHO you should have a look at the story that ran over a number of issues of the the Fishing and Boating mag that covered a trip along the Aust west coast by a couple of big tinnys of the style your interested in.

Apart from the different motors and the gear they carried what was also interesting with them was the the drop down stabilizing legs they had welded to the transoms to hold the boats steady after the tide had gone out. This is obviously easier on an aluminium boat.

Do you have access to F& B where you are? You should at least be able to access the info on the web if you cannot get your hands on hard copies. link http://www.seamedia.com.au/pub/index.php if your interested.

Hope this is some help.

Cheers
    Chimo
    What could go wrong.......................

Hi there,

Thanks to both for your advice. Where we usually camp is nearly all sand, there are very few rocks to worry about.

Naturally the Haines dealer said that they are very strong, and he wouldnt hesitate. he actually seemed like a nice bloke.

Regards,

B

Boat dealer seeming like a nice bloke? They all do until you hand the cheque over. I know the one you are talking about and have a list of bad experiences with him.

stabi craft for me ...all the other are sweet boats but do like the safety aspect of the stabi's all the reserve bouyancy(3300ltrs)that is the equivelent to 17 44 gallon drums of sealed air compartments....try sinkn that ..

Suspect the family will be happiest travelling in the patriot, get a keel protector for the sand work if it is a concern although it wouldn't rate as a problem for me having owned a few glass boats they are not quite as soft as made out sometimes but abuse is abuse and they will suffer from that, for instance how some blokes 'nudge' the ramp in their glass boats.

cheers fnq

geees is there a brand you are not comparing? I guess for me, Stabi wins on the ugly stakes, Barcrusher wins on the advertising as they are on a TV show with the name on the screen every minute, Haines wins on the most talked about, from the good old days to right now, Oceanmaster wins on the least talked about, never heard of them, so there you go, all of them have a plus, just as they would if you owned one, I reckon (as mentioned) go for the one that "fits" your intended use, make an honest list of the things you want, in order of importance, then have a look and tick them off, the highest score gets the cash, every one of those boats will be good.

I was very impressed with a mates oceanmaster
    Stuie
    IF IT CAN'T EAT A WHOLE PILLY I DON'T WANT IT

if your doing no creek travelling ,just bay and sea there is only one choice fiberglass as the heat absorption will cook you . the proper cabin is a great asset with the patriot .if you go that way dont bother with there rocket launcher have a canopy made about 300 mm forward of the windscreen all the way to the back. if you have plans for river travelling i would advise ally most likey the stabi last as for the price of a few sealed coke cans there is not a lot of boat.

Thanks all guys,

As expected, everyone going for a different answer

I expected the on water test and pricing to probably decide in the end. I will do mainly blue water stuff, though we do a bit of barra fishing in the creeks/rivers as well

Thanks again.

B

Quote Originally Posted by dodgyone View Post
    Boat dealer seeming like a nice bloke? They all do until you hand the cheque over. I know the one you are talking about and have a list of bad experiences with him.
    Would be interested in your story. Probably not on the forum though. PM?

Regards, and thanks

B

Hi Betrade,
    Im only new to this site but do yourself a favour test drive all of them in .5 to 2m chop with 10 to 20knots at 3/4 quater throttle and then you will know there is one stand out in your list.This is not standed or smart pratice but put them to the test in rough seas.You living in the territory have an advantage to do research with lots of barra charters using oceanmaster boats from territory marine.I told my father about these boats and so , has just purchased a 511 centre console and loves it because of its workmanship an attention to details.He has had many boats over 30years and agreed with me that it is the driest boat to do the miles in,with the comfort to match.Only one down side is the prices but you only get what you pay for.Another friend of mine owns a 651 centre console and cant fault it as we have been 50mile north of melville island chasing sailfish when the weather turned nasty.These boats are extremly stable to fish out of. Hope this has been helpfull to you,and make sure you test them all in rough seas and you will know. Cheers les.

Personally out of your list I'd go the Stabi because I like the design concept, although if I was in the position to buy I would check these absolute gems from Perth, they have some superior design features IMO.
    Can't post the link it seems, so google 'typhoon boats' in pages from australia and check out the larger sizes. These guys build a lot of larger commercial craft for the WA pro fishing marketplace as well as these 'typhoon' boats.
    Cheers.

i had a look at the 760 barcrusher and wouldnt even consider it ....had a horrible bottom on it with a few cross welded section which turned me off .....atleast the stabi's they build the bottom out of one sheet of aluminium , not about six like on the bar crusher . after hopping on both at the boat show i know which one wins in the build stakes . stabi craft by about 1000 boat lenghts....my two cents worth