Thread: ABT for a newbie....

ABT for a newbie....

Gday all
    I have never entered in a ABT competition before and im very keen to learn what its all about and give it a go this year in maybe the Barra events at Awoonga and Monduran and if i like it i might travel to them all next year.....maybe...

Now at the risk of sounding like a dummy i really know nothing about these comps...

Just wondering if i could muster up some tips, info etc from you guys that might help me on my way....

Also i will be in chase of a partner for the 2 events if i manage to enter.

Do I enter as a team? I have my own boat to use.....

Re: ABT for a newbie....

Have a look at the ABT barra website - you can download entry forms and rules from there. Steve B, NAGG, Barraboss, McCod, JEKS and a few others from Ausfish regularly compete in the ABT barra tournament.

You will also need to become a member of ABT.....

Regs

Pete & Kyle

Rob,

I suggest have a go. Its a good relaxed/social stlye of ABT comp.....although the fishing is a serious as you want it to be. Its a great way to learn heaps of different styles and techniques from heaps of different blokes and girls who are pretty open and share info. Its also a good chance to see how tough a dam can fish too!!! The boating pressure, prefish and 2 days of comps puts a strain on the barra's will to chew at times.

Like you said, I would suggest trying a few first...Woonga and deffinatly Mondy (your form is pretty good here!!) and see how you like it. You will need a partner for the ABT tour....BUT they are running a trial event Boater/non boater format in October...so if you want, you can nominate as either or (I would suggest non boater first up)..and then you are teamed with another person in a random draw for the comp...you could end up fishing with a taylor boy, Trev or any of the other guns....or you could draw a dud like me!..If you go as a boater, you will get assigned a non boater for the comp.

As Pete said, there is heaps of info on the ABT site. Comps are not for everyone, but from what I have seen, I reckon you will like them. If you decide to do the WHOLE tour north and south, make sure you have a good wife, and open wallet...its not a cheap excersise....it can be very frustrating and fatiguing...but on the other side it can be, and is an awesome experience.

cheers Steve

Thanks guys!
    So if i have it all correct, I pay $50 too join ABT then $200 for my teams entry at either or both events..... And Find a partner and the rest is just turn up on time and follow the rules?

G'day

Timely post! I had only rung a mate up north about 2 weeks ago who knows a bit about these as I was wanting to have a go myself.

Am knew to ABT comp as well.

I will get my people to talk to your people and see what we can work out!

Cheers, Rhet

Have a squiz here Rob.

http://www.australianbarra.com.au/

Thanks for the help guys!! Now i need to find a partner

I've sent you a PM

Cheers mate and i do appologise for not returning it!!
    To be honest i have received numerous offers for partners to compete in the ABT, taken me by suprise really as didnt think so many would be keen.
    At the end of the day I dont know any of the people offering and i dont want to just say yes lets do it to a stranger. Ultimatly i would prefer to fish with someone i have atleast met or fished with in the past. Its nothing personal to those who pm'ed me but there is still some time before the events and i would like to see what pans out for a while first. I will go in the comp or comps and ill use my own boat, i have my own ways of doing things and i find if i jump on as a deckie on others boats i catch donuts.....i go on my own and do things my way and almost always return with a fish or fish lost. So i def want to take my own boat and not be a deckie... As far as choosing a deckie goes i would like to feel around rather than picking the best reading pm....
    Thanks for all the offers and its not a NO to anyone nor a yes.....
    See what happens!
    Cheers Rob.

Not having a go at you mate, but, calling your partner a deckie isnt the best way I think....

Remember an ABT motto, "Who shares, Wins."

As for getting help... I think you should send Trevor a PM (Ausfish acc: Awoonga) as he is a very nice bloke and was more than happy to give me a hand.

Good luck, and I hope you do well!
    Cheers, Bandit

Tracker Avalanche V18 DC - 175 EFI Mercury OptiMax
    Quintrex 475 TopEnder - 60 EFI Yamaha 4 Stroke

yeh reading back over it i should have used a another word there, force of habit and typing faster than i think...if im on someone elses boat i always see myself as the deckie
    As for who shares wins...no probs there
    And Ive met Trev in the past on the dam and he offered me a ride in the skeeter at monduran, said i would love too, but since i think he has been busy.... All Good When the time comes Ill have a chat with him.
    Cheers Bandit.