Thread: Light Beach Rod

Light Beach Rod

Bought a Gary Howard Breambo 4 Wrap 10"6" rod today together with a 6" Alvey and 9 lb line. Going to use it as a light rod off the beach for whiting, dart, bream etc.

Has anyone used this outfit before and what do you reckon.

Derek

Re: Light Beach Rod

sounds perfect for it , have fun cheers

As above, sounds perfect for what you intend to use it for.

Matt.

Sounds like a good combo....though I would think the 6" Alvey might be a bit heavy if it is the S/S plate model. I have a Wilson Shoreline 10'6" (almost identical to the Garry Howard but not as well made)and use a 5" alvey with the S/S plate and find it balances out perfectly. But it can be a personal choice thing...different strokes for different folks. Good luck with it and let us know after you have used it, how it went.

Cheers
    Greg

I used to have a custom made 11' with a 6.25" alvey, though it was one of the models that doesn't have any metal on it.. I guess they're much lighter.

All my rods are Gary Howard because he makes great rods. I have seen the Breambo rods and they look and feel great. I was going to buy one until I spotted the Gary Howard Viper 9' which I dual use for bait work on Bream, Whiting, Dart etc and 40gm slug spinning for Tailor. I wish Gary would update his website to include all the great models that most people don't know exist.

I am also a Gary Howard fan and have the same rig Derek but use it to chase bream. The two that I use in the surf are the one piece "club surf" and the " swallowtail" Bruce

Agree with SleepyGreg, I would have gone for the 5" Alvey !!

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Bullock View Post
    Bought a Gary Howard Breambo 4 Wrap 10"6" rod today together with a 6" Alvey and 9 lb line. Going to use it as a light rod off the beach for whiting, dart, bream etc.

Has anyone used this outfit before and what do you reckon.

Derek
    I have the exact outfit (but run 6lb mono). I do prefer my old Snyder "Mossops Outcast Raider" but its due for new set of guides. I was lazy and bought a secondhand Breambo 4W off eBay.

The Breambo does the job well. I reckon you'll be fairly happy with it.

5" Alvey would probably be better but I don't own one. The 6" goes alright...