Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: >90 cm Coral Trout. Would you eat it?

Re: >90 cm Coral Trout. Would you eat it?

Quote Originally Posted by madman1 View Post
    Thanks for the feedback.

Looks like we are free to pig out on the big fella. There were heaps of flies landing on it yesterday. Or were they hanging around my stinking body

I'll let you all know how the wife pulls up tomorrow!

Forgot to mention that Wikipedia also said that these tests had no scientific foundation or proof whatsoever -- kinda like old wives tales.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ciguatera

The fish is good to go .

I gave the frame to the Kiwis next door and they did their thing last night .

Made fish cakes that is!

They got a heap of meat out of the rib cage, cheeks and around the head and they aren't any more stupid than yesterday . Just jokes.

Got around 7kg of fillets. @ around $40 - $45 / kg thats not bad going out of one fish. If my knives were better suited i could have got a lot more.

Till next time

Mark

i was once told with any big fish don't eat it in one feed, mix it up with smaller fish so your not eating alot of the fish at once.

Coral trout are protogynous hermaphrodites. That is, they start their lives as females and change sex to become males later in life. It is not known what triggers this sex change.
    ELF research has determined that the sex ratio (males to females) differs in different areas of the Great Barrier Reef and may differ between reefs opened to fishing and protected from fishing. Sex ratios are an important consideration for management as changes in these ratios could seriously affect reproduction and subsequently the number of juveniles coming into the fishery in future years.
    On average, sex change occurs when fish are between 23cm and 62cm in length. The average length at sex change is 42 cm, but this is believed to happen most frequently in the months immediately following spawning.
    All length classes of fish may have both male and female individuals. However, as a rule:
    • small fish will be females
    • most large fish will be males
    just FYI.

Phill
    Kingfisher Painting Solutions:- Domestic and Commercial.

For further information, contact details, quotes or advice - Click Here

Rules state you are not allowed to keep blue spot trout over 80cm. I couldn't tell from the photo, but it did look like a blue spot. The feature to look for is the non-transparent pectoral fin. You would be suprised the damage some fish can survive. If he came out of deep water it probably didn't stand much of a chance.

Matt.

SHARKED???? It looked like a love bite!!!!!! How do I know ....I hear you ask? I was there...........How else would I know what species it was? I swam up with the shark........

Gday mate i would not hesitate in eating it ,but i wouldn't eat a cod 40 cm . just my thoughts .