Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Netting in the maroochy (large nets, not cast)

Netting in the maroochy (large nets, not cast)

Hello,

Is it legal, or are there any "professional fisherman" who are allowed to use large nets in the maroochy? I saw a bloke today, in a really crappy old boat, go over to the weed beds near the mouth of eudlo creek and use a HUGE net to completely encircle a large area... I shudder to think how many fish, especially smaller fish that are in that area, are taken/killed in those nets.

Matt.

Re: Netting in the maroochy (large nets, not cast)

Its legal if he's a pro ( yellow block with black rego numbers) and he's allowed to in that area, they do it every day down here at the goldy(southern end of south straddy in the broadwater), and not just one of them, it makes me sick that it is allowed !!!

Sounds like he was then... What the ####? Why on eath does the government allow "professional" netters to rape and pillage fish stocks from terribly volatile waterways in areas where recreational fishing is a large part of the economy?

I'm starting to feel like mounting a one man crusade against such lunacy... Time to talk to an aquantance of mine who's a marine biologist and already employed in just the right governement department to provide answers!

Mate i am not a dobber but a couple of years ago found a net right across eudlo creek and i reported it and they got the pig with the net and i have not lost a days sleep over it as if we dont show we are law abiding people and that we are prepared to stick our neck out to maintain a renewable resourse then we give everything away to the greenies that are trying to stop fishing altogether.
    If yo see illegal fishing report it if you want to see your kids and their kids catch fish

Govt are hypocrits, save the mangroves(nursery areas), but let the netters plunder all the juvenile fish for a few whiting, mullet, gar etc, ever seen how much gets thrown to the birds EVERY time they empty out the net, like I said it makes me sick !!

That's my concern hooknose... I'm going to try and chat with this bloke on Saturday to see what he has to say. He's with the EPA if I recall... He's been involved with the oil cleanups recently and the two headed fish drama up around Noosa... He should at least be able to point me in the right direction.

Be careful what you start = Greenzone

Oh, I just want to see the commerical netting removed or reduced... I'm sure as sure that recreational fishing in the Maroochy is better for the local economy than the commerical netting.

hmmm i have been wondering why the maroochy has seemed so fished out all my life, maybe this is why. its lucky it wasnt me who saw this B -word....
    im right be behind you and i know nealry all of my mates will be as well.
    shane.

It's a real shame that this occurs. I wonder if he hits up petrie creek as well. How many kilos you reckon the average day's take would be from these people?
    Cuzza

As a keen recreational fisherman and having worked a bit with commercial fishermem, I think that many commercial fishieries are well managed. Firstly, magaged by closed area there are huge amounts of area all the way up the queensland coast, secondly by gear restriction (the guy up maroochy should have had no more then 400m), time restrictions (closed season, onluy working week days). License reductions are occuring at present with net, crab and line fisheries.

If you guys are so pissed off about a one net fishermen who is governed by heavy reguations and has to have observers on his boat to ensure he is acting within the law then go fish in a closed area which is never netted. These include the whole bribie assage, the mooloolah river, substantial parts of the maroochy and noosa river, or fish on week ends when they can't fish at all.

in terms of contributing to the economy what about all the fish that firstly need a wholesaler then they are proccessed then tranported to resturants then cooked then served dosen't sounds like abit of employment involved in that.

As for plundering and killing undersize fish well it's far more important for the professional to not kill unsersize stock there living depends on it. As recreational fishermen we have so much closed water to commercial activities, the pro's have to allowed to fish somewhere, after all there are many people who enjoy eating fish who don't like to fish. any argument against this would be just plain selfish.

In my opinion more understand fish are killed from injuries due to recreational fishing than any commercial operation. just think about the last time a undersize fish bleed out due to bad hook lodgement.

the fact is that recreational take of river fish like bream, whiting and flathead is greater then the commercial take. One only has to go out on any week end in queensland to see hopw much pressure is placed on our waterways by recreational fishing. and it's only growing. i think we need to worry about ourselves more than pro fishing,

Quote Originally Posted by bg1000 View Post
    As a keen recreational fisherman and having worked a bit with commercial fishermem, I think that many commercial fishieries are well managed. Firstly, magaged by closed area there are huge amounts of area all the way up the queensland coast, secondly by gear restriction (the guy up maroochy should have had no more then 400m), time restrictions (closed season, onluy working week days). License reductions are occuring at present with net, crab and line fisheries.

If you guys are so pissed off about a one net fishermen who is governed by heavy reguations and has to have observers on his boat to ensure he is acting within the law then go fish in a closed area which is never netted. These include the whole bribie assage, the mooloolah river, substantial parts of the maroochy and noosa river, or fish on week ends when they can't fish at all.

in terms of contributing to the economy what about all the fish that firstly need a wholesaler then they are proccessed then tranported to resturants then cooked then served dosen't sounds like abit of employment involved in that.

As for plundering and killing undersize fish well it's far more important for the professional to not kill unsersize stock there living depends on it. As recreational fishermen we have so much closed water to commercial activities, the pro's have to allowed to fish somewhere, after all there are many people who enjoy eating fish who don't like to fish. any argument against this would be just plain selfish.

In my opinion more understand fish are killed from injuries due to recreational fishing than any commercial operation. just think about the last time a undersize fish bleed out due to bad hook lodgement.

the fact is that recreational take of river fish like bream, whiting and flathead is greater then the commercial take. One only has to go out on any week end in queensland to see hopw much pressure is placed on our waterways by recreational fishing. and it's only growing. i think we need to worry about ourselves more than pro fishing,
    My god, you really have no idea do you. Sounds like the desperate ravings of a man to save his business to me.

I am just going to make a couple of points.
    1. the value of recreational fishing to the local economy has been shown in a number of studies to be 5-10 times the value of commercial fishing. You say jobs in wholesale, processing and transport. Well from the rec point of view, what about jobs in tackle and bait industry, tourism, take away meals, petrol and ice, boating, etc.
    2. here we go again with the people enjoy eating fish arguement. It is a fact that 90% of Australian seafood is exported to get higher prices, and 70% or more of what is eaten in Australia is imported. The only people it will would hurt if commerical fishing was stopped would be those people making alot of money from it.
    3. The recreational take of bream, whiting and flathead is greater by the recs? Not sure about that, but what I am sure about is the huge numbers of juveniles killed by beam trawlers in the estuaries before they have a chance to breed.

Jeremy
    "The underlying spirit of angling is that the skill of the angler is pitted against the instinct and strength of the fish and the latter is entitled to an even chance for it's life."
    (Quotation from the rules of the Tuna Club Avalon, Santa Catalina, U.S.A.)

Apathy is the enemy

I,m with you Jeremy, this bloke does not have a clue, by the way I have never seen one of these "observers" in attendance while the netters are throwing all the meshed juvenile fish etc to the pelicans and seagulls !!

I just want to ad that this bloke had no 'observer' with him. He was doing it solo...

If anyone can link me to studies that prove recreational fishing is better for the environment and economy than commercial fishing please post them here as I'm in the research phase at the moment.. When I go in guns blazing I'll be wanting some ammunition.

Matt.

It seems more often than not that posts justifing commercial netting are posted by new/inactive accounts???? mmmmm....