Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What is the best Esky

What is the best Esky

It has been a dream to be in this dilemma for a very long time - My 80 ltre moulded plastic Esky is too small

For fish such as Kingys and pelagics such as Wahoo and dollies that I will be targeting in summer months, I need a bigger Esky.

As a minimum size Esky I think a 125 litre Tropicool or similar will suffice, which come in at around $325 - $380.00 depending on Brand.

Can anyone recommend if I am being realistic in trying to get the price down more for this size, and suggest the right choices when it comes to dimensions of the Esky? Length is more important than Volume, I would be happy to take 2 pelagics and possibly 4 or 5 mixed other species such as Snapper and Pearlies home for the dinner table. Perhaps similar for the deckie of the day, depening who that is.

Scalem

Re: What is the best Esky

i got my 125l tropical on special from A MART all sports at morayfield.i paid $220 and it had around 10 ice gel packs that someone had put in it by mistake.i think the tag had $340 on it.
    i also took a 85l the same day for $175
    it is a very good esky and holds ice well as long as not opened too many times and stacked inside properly.
    so if you keep your eye open i think you can get these at a good price

Scalem,
    The ones advertised on Bush And Beach, are good value. 120 litre are 199 dollars. There was some great info put on Aushfish about them some months ago.
    The 120 litre is 500 wide,775 long 535 h. The delivery fee is 18 dollars from memory.
    See if a search will bring up something.
    Regards David

http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp#1
    There you go. That is the link
    Regards David

i have a techni ice esky that you can buy direct from manufacture in melb, been great since i have had it, link is below, cheers Lee

http://www.techniice.com/english/iceboxes.asp

Mate i was in the same position last year and i saved an absolute fortune by buying one online from Ebay - Chilli coolers are a good one, got a 200ltr esky for $160, and it's perfect.

Picked up a "Mackeral Esky" from Big Chilli Coolers factory at Nerang/Carrara on the gold coast, for the exact same reason as you.....needed something with length and it's great, Also picked up a cushion for it and it comfortably doubles as a seat offshore.

G'day

My techniice are very good, follow the links posted earlier.

To answer the question, the best esky is one filled with reds and rum!

Dave

There is nothing more Oz than blokes talking about their Eskies. So who's got an oldie? Here's mine, the original Malley's metal Esky, which I've had since the 60s I think -- but the plastic top may have signalled things to come.
    Would you believe that they also have one on show in Sydney's Powerhouse Museum?

you can buy from then on ebay
    http://cgi.ebay.com.au/210L-Blue-Coo...d=p3286.c0.m14

Cheers Phil
    Grow old disgracefully

You blokes are amazing, ask a question on AF and in come the very welcome replies that have opened up a heap of different options.

David, I remember seeing the add but could not remember which Mag, and the wife has tossed out all my reading material I had stock piled in the smallest room of the house So thanks for providing the link

Swindells - You got a bargain! I rang these guys and their 90 litre Mackeral version is $250 with the potential of their being a seconds or two on the floor ( only scratched or insufficient dye in the colouring or something similar) But I will still have to pay $210.00 or so. So you should have bought two at the time!

yellowbeard - that esky has come straight from the back of the HQ holden Ute hasn't it? Maybe older,the EH? That's a classic. My mother still uses brocolli coolite boxes but I can't stand the squeeking of the coolite.

Thanks for the replies guys!

Scalem

Yep the Techni Ice ones on Ebay are brilliant, and they usually have plenty to choose from in different sizes. I paid 89.00 for mine on auction and the same size sell in most stores for over well over 200. And you get the ice packs as well.
    Cheers
    Flatzie

i bought a 150 litre big chilli cooler from ebay

paid $140 for it and was able to pick it up from carrara to avoid the delivery fee.

it holds ice very well, as good as any other i have used.

the esky is not a second, just a colour that no one else wanted. bright red will be easy to see if the boat ever turns turtle!

the only negative is when the esky has spent a full day in the hot sun the lid warps a bit, not enough to stop it closing properly but enough to s**t me.

all in all for the price totally worth it

matty

bite the bullet, buy the best. evakool

+1 for the techni ice via ebay. Great esky and you can get some screaming bargains.