Thread: Simple recipes for fish fillets

Simple recipes for fish fillets

I'm after a few quick and simple recipes to try for the following fish: (not sure if it makes a difference but if it helps) black and pink snapper, spangled and red emperor and also coral trout. Can anyone help me out?

Cheers.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Re: Simple recipes for fish fillets

most of them I can offer suggestions about....but what is black snapper?

good quality fish should not be fooled around with, leave all the spices and strong herbs and stuff for the less desirable species (well I reckon) good fresh fish will taste good in many simple ways, from just a roll in flour, anf into some clean oil, to some very simple flavorings and into a foil "pouch" to straight onto a nice clean Barbie plate.

Quote Originally Posted by sleepygreg View Post
    most of them I can offer suggestions about....but what is black snapper?
    Pretty sure they're called something else but can't think of the name right now. More commonly known as blacks or black snapper over here on the west coast and are pretty common in my area. They sure taste good though!
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

I generally use plain or rice flour with a teaspoon of salt powder (not table salt but powdered) and a pinch of white pepper and roll the skinless fillets in that and cook them in very hot macadamia nut oil.

Using powdered salt is lots better than table salt as it blends with the flour evenly.
    Jack.

I agree with keeping it simple. Some tasty species there. Coral trout i wouldnt cook with anything. No oil no pepper maybe just some salt and a little lemon. I dont get to eat it much at all if ever. The other stuff though are perfect for doing crispy skin with a lemon butter sauce. All very easy to do. Heat some olive or macadamia oil in a pan until hot. With the olive oil it will start to smoke when it is at it hottest and this is when i would put the fillets on skin down. Before that though cut two or three times across the skin to keep the fillet flat and season with salt and cracked pepper. Dont turn the fish over until the skin is crispy, about 4 or 5 minutes depending on heat, once you have turned the fillet over cook flesh side until it just starts to pull apart, dont cook it through entirely ( about 90% done is what you want to aim for ) let it finish cooking on a warmed plate and put aside. In the pan add the juice of one lemon and reduce by half. Reduce heat and add a good lump or two of butter and any juices on the plate that the fish is resting on and mix all together. You can add salt and white pepper if you want. Another option is to not turn the heat down when you add the butter and burn it a bit but i like just melted so it doesnt seperate. Plate it up with the lemon butter sauce over the top, very nice.

To me it sounded like a waste but red emp is great in a thai curry. I would prefer it simple as but have had it cooked by a family friend of my wife who was a michelon ( spp ) star rated chef. i went back for thirds it was that good. This guy stayed for a week and cooked every night, it was heaven.

Quote Originally Posted by WestOzDesertFisher View Post
    Pretty sure they're called something else but can't think of the name right now. More commonly known as blacks or black snapper over here on the west coast and are pretty common in my area. They sure taste good though!
    Hiya mate. I am a westy too but came to QLD cause they needed to raise their IQ a few points. Anyway, I also lived in Carnarvon for a while and in all my years I have never heard of Black Snapper either...Got a pic?

Anyway, suggestions are right. KISS Keep It Simple Stupid... seasoned flour or even just cooked in real butter in a fry pan...Batter for the snapper... Trout are best stuffed and whole or filleted and BBQ with just seasoning. Scale and leave skn on then fry is another good one...Crispy skin is lovelly.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

As simple as it gets - layer 2/3 slices of lemon over the fillet, wrap in foil and bake in moderate oven (180-190 deg) for 30 - 40 mins depending on size of fillet, check to make sure it is cooked through........this is the only way I will cook fresh snapper fillets.....

Lets get adventurous.

CORAL TROUT CEVICHE and rice noodle salad
    Recipe Courtesy: Silky Oaks Treehouse Restaurant
    Recipe for 4 pax
    Ceviche:
    200 gm fresh coral trout filet
    10 gm finely diced ginger root
    1 each finely diced red chilli
    3 each lime juice
    ¼ bunch coriander finely chopped
    ½ stick lemon grass chopped as fine as possible
    100 ml coconut milk
    Place all the finely chopped ingredients in a bowl.
    - Add the limejuice, coconut milk and a little salt. Mix thoroughly.
    - Slice the coral trout as thin as possible, removing all bones.
    - Place the sliced trout in the lime and coconut mixture and allow marinating overnight or just a couple of hours for people liking the “raw” texture of the fish.
    100 gm Rice sticks noodle, cooked and rinsed
    ½ punnet wood ear mushrooms
    50 gm finely diced paw-paw
    25 gm finely diced red capsicum
    25 gm finely diced roma tomato
    10 gm picked coriander & mint leaves
    20 gm freshly grated coconut
    10 gm chopped celery leaves
    1 each very green banana, thinly sliced and deep- fried for garnish
    Dressing:
    100 ml Sweet chilli sauce
    2 each Lime juice
    2 each Lemon juice
    ¼ bunch Picked coriander leaves
    10 gm Palm sugar
    ½ each Fresh chilli
    Few drop of fish sauce to taste
    - Place all the ingredients in a bar blender.
    - Blend thoroughly.
    - Keep refrigerated.
    To put the salad together, toss all the salad ingredients with a little of the dressing.
    Serve chilled with wakame salad on top.

Looked on the net for Black Snapper ( haven't heard of it either) couldn't find anything either..

Theres Nothing like a good days fishing.

Second look, looks like you get it up Broome way

Theres Nothing like a good days fishing.

Never heard of black snapper either.

I just fry them in a small pan of butter and light garlic (very light), fry with the skin down on a lowish heat with baking paper pressed down lightly on top of the fillet to stop the juices from escaping, the juices help it to cook through... then remove the baking paper and spoon the hot butter on top of the fillet to cook the top, you don't need to flip it.... you end up with a very delicate full flavoured fillet.

Don't eat it everyday because your doctor won't be happy but give it a go, it's sensational.
    Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.

Is this your Black snapper - they also call these black cod.

Nothing makes a fish bigger than almost being caught.