Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: painting old blanks

painting old blanks

g'day all
    i've been using old rods to practice wrapping guides,and have sanded the blanks bck and was wondering what i could use to paint them
    regards mick

Re: painting old blanks

you left ya self open there mate.......paint!!!
    no, id try the basic can of spray paint, heaps of colours and pretty cheap.
    spray the blank then give it a coat of sealer/filler then the clear gloss ready for the bindings.

cheers

maybe i should have said tint, colour not sure as i'm just noob...have been told that i can get a product called norathane and they'll tint it to any colour i want also been told i can use dy and the seal etc just not sure
    regards mick

Depends on what colours you want.If it is a basic colour use any cheap spray pack but apply in several thin coats and make sure you allow plenty of drying time between coats.

Cheers Dazza

while I have never painted any blanks, I was told to use the ame paint they use on plastic bumper bars as it has some sort of flexible "stuff" in it and will not crack with use, sounds reasonable to me.

iam thinking same as noelm.
    i would prob paint with auto acrylic, put in a flexi add, then clear it.
    this is only a suggestion, as i dont want to be shot down.

well i've used an off the shelf can of enamel gloss and have sanded it lightly,with steel wool in between very thin coats.Going to seal it and epoxy(built meself a dryer from a spit roaster when not drying with it i'll b roasting lol)it soon ,its my first project so i guess i live and learn
    regards mick

Well the blank painting is done and i learnt a fair bit , the biggest thing was that i wont try it again unless i've got better equipment ie airbrush or dip tank a dust free enviroment etc ,i used a can of enamel from a hardware store and brushed the clear on which was erskine epoxy thinned down..the finnished job was well my wife said it looked nice and shinny but to me it looked like i'd used jam to paint it ....so lesson learnt more prep and less rush ( i can see if nothing else i'll learn patience) and better choice of technique and products
    regards mick

enamel is jam.
    as i said before i would use auto acrylic, but ur call.
    i would then use acrylic clear.
    thats just my opinion.
    at least its not jam

Mate have you thought about approaching a local crash repairers? Sand you blank down with wet and dry and make sure it is clean of oils etc. I'm sure the repairer wouldn't have too many problems with spraying your blank if you are willing to leave it until they have the colour you want. It will bake in the oven with the car and then all they have to do is apply the clear coat. They may charge you a nominal cost but it will be a decent job.

Regards
    Outback

Ausfish Gold Member ThePinkPanther's Avatar

Agree that engine enamel is pretty good stuff and I haven't had it crack even on the whippiest of light rods!

Several light coats are better than one thick one!

Quote Originally Posted by ThePinkPanther View Post
    Agree that engine enamel is pretty good stuff and I haven't had it crack even on the whippiest of light rods!

Several light coats are better than one thick one!

Did you then apply some sort of clear coat?

Yep, I have a bottle of a milky solution that I picked up somewhere - pretty old but brilliant for long term use and easy to apply.

There are heaps of good products out there though engine enamel by itself is quite shiny...................

Sorry about all the questions ... I have a rod here to rebuild and it's seen better days (old, a few scars, massacred in a previous rebuild [not by my]). It's a friend's rod and I'd like to tart it up a bit as well as rebinding some decent components on to it.

What is the name of the "engine enamel" product you used?
    Can you buy it in spray cans?
    Is the clear coat mandatory or just cosmetic?

Thanks heaps for the insight.

Any hardware shop or places like Super Cheap will sell engine enamel - very common product.

It comes in Gloss and has numerous colour choices.

A clear finishing coat is probably cosmetic but it does give you a little bit more of a "shiny" finish.