Thread: Day out a Hutchies

Day out a Hutchies

After much dilemma and my 1 year old cutting his head on my new Formosa, we decided to go out at about 11h00 on Saturday.

Got to Hutchies at about midday, and there was not much action around. There were only three boats on the reef. I picked up fish on the sounder, but they were not interested. We managed to get two small snapper and many undersized kingies.

I had a bit hit on one of the drifts. The other rod then ran milli-seconds after the first took off. It ran like there was no tomorrow. After it stripped about half the line off a TLD 25, the line broke and the other rod also went dead. My thinking is that it hit both rod and took off. Bugger two hook-ups, with probably the same fish, but no fish.

And I'll never know what it was...any ideas?

Cheers,
    Lionel

Re: Day out a Hutchies

Maybe a Cobia. I've been almost spooled on a few occasions by freight trains in that area and have had no choice but to break the line instead of losing $100 worth of Braid. It happens alot out there.

Lionel,

If you were on the North Eastern side of Hutchies, I have heard of some MASSIVE GT'S hanging around that area.
    They sit right on the edge of the drop off.
    There has been some big fellas pulled out of there.

Maybe you got onto one of them???

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!

Theres a report in the spearfishing section and some photos of very large Spaniards swimming around that area. It was only a couple of weeks ago. seems to fit the bill

Yip, on the NE side...about 800m NE of the spearfishermen.

Next time, I'm going tith the Tiagra 50W with 37 Kg line!

Last year I picked up a 30kg plus GT in that area, and landed it on a baitrunner 4500 with 30lb leader. I think you would land any GT on a TLD 25.

I have also seen some massive shovellies there while having a spear. They would do that too..... but hey, you'll never know so dont torture yourself

Quote Originally Posted by 1fish82fish View Post
    Yip, on the NE side...about 800m NE of the spearfishermen.

Next time, I'm going tith the Tiagra 50W with 37 Kg line!
    That might be a slight over-kill!!!

As posted above^^^ you should be able to land this sort of fish on a TLD 25!!
    Keep the 37kg for when you travel to Cairns!!

Jason.
    FISHING IS NOT A HOBBY...................IT'S AN OBSESSION!!