Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: BRP Evinrude calls for industry unity for a cleaner environment

Re: BRP Evinrude calls for industry unity for a cleaner environment

Quote Originally Posted by Crunchy View Post
    * Your a man's motor, the resounding call of a WWII Spitfire rather than a Singer sewing machine....
    You wouldn't be suggesting the venerable Spitfire ever ran a two stroke, are you? The Merlin, and later the Griffon, powered Spits (and Lancasters, Mustangs - albeit Packard built) and a host of other aircraft. They were both four strokes, fitted with superchargers.

Cheers,

Tim
    Carbon Really Ain't Pollution.

i think the physical size of the injection equipment might be a limiting factor gary. there is certainly fuel injection on 4s motors in bikes. another factor too is that the categories/classes of racing are now tailored towards 4s machines and so that's basically where all the development budget goes.

i think crunchy was merely comparing the exhaust note timi, i'm now thinking back to that movie "the castle" and enjoying "the serenity" with the howl of the boat motor.

I love that line in the movie....

"The only thing dad loved more than serenity, was the sound of his 2-stroke going flat out"

Doesn't help the debate at all, just bringing back a fun memory.
    Cheers,
    Chris

Quote Originally Posted by PADDLES View Post

i think crunchy was merely comparing the exhaust note timi
    Yep correct, actually to be honest B&F inspectors came up to me the other day..when they left I couldn't beleive that their 150Hp Zuk was actually running the whole time! They sure are quiet...maybe I'll get a 4 stroke when I'm old...

But back to the topic of the thread....one smoke stack, in one factory, in one city, in China would spew more pollut...I mean emissions, in one minute then I could ever hope to do in a life time of running a two-stroke outboard (Nope, no figures to back that up...)..lets keep it in perspective
    Last edited by Crunchy; 19-08-2009 at 08:42 AM. Reason: Removed smoke stack image incase subject to copyright

ironic that you should mention mangroves Gary..there was the bit in the paper where their is a big hue and cry about someone has cut some out Graceville way.

Drive down Bowen Bridge Road..just as you are about to cross Breakfast Creek look to your left (outbound)..they have cut the mangroves for the Northern Busway...where are Baltais and other bloke now...not a murmur from them.

The biggest environmental vandals are Governments...they do things like that..they approve foreshore develpoment..they approve so many things that are not EF...yet they try and portray themselves as green..who are they trying to kid ?

Crunchy

I agree with the sentiment - in that greenhouse gasses from Australia are nothing compared to China. But comparing an outboard to ANY factory is a bit of an unfair comparison - comparing an ant to an elephant?

FYI China started emisisons regulations on small off road engines (inlc mowers to outboards) earlier this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    Gary, its not the new regs that annoy me, I run a 4 stroke and won't run anything alese in the future. What I have a problem with is the fact that it is BRP pushing the regulation, if it were an independant environment lobby group, I'd be annoyed (because I just plain hate greenie's), but would be in support. But when we have a company who is quite frankly, struggling to compete in the outboard market (generally speaking), who obviously have a vested interest trying to get new legislation introduced to stop other companies selling a particular product, no matter how you look at it, they are trying to eliminate competition, which is illegal in Australia. BRP do not care about the environment, they care about sales and profits, and thats all they are thinking of with the trash they have presented.
    So BRP are the big bad wolfs.... Mate Honda were at in 2007... Same sort off thing, but they were trying to ban 2st... http://www.ausfish.com.au/vforum/sho...lcolm+Turnbull

I wouldn't be suprised if you searched back far enough you would see Yamaha and Suzuki also trying the same stunt....

Get over it..

Here's a study that concluded that PAH's (better indicator of fuels etc then NOX's) were more concentrated around urban/industrial areas then in the middle of the Bay.
    Flushing from land is suggested.
    I would be more concerned with run-off from land then from outboards using biodegradable oils (or any oils for that matter) when asking the question why are the mangroves dying and why are the levels of NOX's or PAH's or any pollutant for that matter are harming things (ie mangroves and sea grass beds for a couple) in the Bay ?.
    http://www.marine.uq.edu.au/publicat...ne%20River.pdf
    That study is backed up by other studies as well and are referenced in the report.
    When you read that report and others like them makes you believe the report referenced by BRP is nothing but a marketing ploy....just like some of the other manufacturers have done as suggested above....
    I intend on living for-ever....so far so good

Quote Originally Posted by Gary Fooks View Post
    Crunchy

..FYI China started emisisons regulations on small off road engines (inlc mowers to outboards) earlier this year.
    Unbelievable (No I beleive you Gary) but its unbelievable that they would focus on such a small source of the problem (Pollution) when there are much larger issues like coal fired electricity plants going up all over the show...taking the easy steps for apperances I guess....

change of mind
    Last edited by Crunchy; 19-08-2009 at 08:51 AM. Reason: change of mind on that one

hey crunchy, we may actually find that small power and automotive power will not be the small part of pollution in china in the coming years. remember that china at the present has quite a small ownership of vehicles and motorised equipment, labour and transport are predominantly manual (ie people power). now as they become developed, the predictions are that car and machinery ownership for example will skyrocket over there and the pollution from all the extra engines will be a massive problem in future years. there's 100's of millions of them, imagine the added pollution if over the next few years half of them go and buy a car. so whilst at face value a comparison between a chinese smokestack and the combined pollution of australia's outboards looks like we are being inconvenienced somewhat, it's not really comparing apples for apples when you consider the population.

i'd personally like to think that we can keep our own backyard as pristine as we can because over there in SE asia it's already pretty well ruined.

by the way, for the power that they require and even what we need here, there is no real substitute for coal fired electricity at the moment.

All good points Paddles...