Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Moon Phases and Imoundment Barra?

Re: Moon Phases and Imoundment Barra?

However ...... being on the water on nice warm evening ( calm & clear conditions) with a rising moon ........ MAAAGNIFICENT!!!

Chris[/quote]

Chris i will actually agree with you on something for the first time in ages
    A slow hot wind from the North with the sun fanning a orange brush over the horizon, then over your shoulder the moon rises and extends a dull light over the landscape that is so still you can hear a mozzie 500m away. The environment has a deep earthy smell which triggers memories from way back.

Wow what a time to be on the water.

I remember many special sessions on barra lakes, even when i didn't catch fish, i still really enjoyed the moment. Pre-Barra-Boom we had great sessions, but stopped fishing a lot of full or new moons when the crowds hit the Barra dams (No serenity there).

Notes From A Full Moon Trip.

One thing i noted on un-pressured lakes was that we got a so called moon/dusk bite on Full & New moon. But we also got these bites at other times. Thiss bite did coincide with a lake rising 12ft in to grassy areas where the fish were hunting on dusk.

The bite got later each night by about 30-45mins and at times the bite only came on for 30 mins then we got nothing for hours. The moon wasn't the only factor. Water rose and the fish were hunting in the new shallows, it was very hot with angry heat from the North, Fishery was un-pressured, the bite was bigger on dusk, we had stable weather for days, we also caught fish in the mid morning and dug fish out sitting hard against a deep edge under lillies etc in the mid arvo so fish were still caught in all time periods including 10pm at night off the bank.
    We fished most hours of the day and rested out of the heat in the mid morning to mid arvo period.

Could be something, could be nothing but lately i haven't noticed too many sessions like this on highly pressured dams with smart fish.

Cheers Lyndon

Quote Originally Posted by SeekingBarradise View Post
    However ...... being on the water on nice warm evening ( calm & clear conditions) with a rising moon ........ MAAAGNIFICENT!!!

Chris

Chris i will actually agree with you on something for the first time in ages
    A slow hot wind from the North with the sun fanning a orange brush over the horizon, then over your shoulder the moon rises and extends a dull light over the landscape that is so still you can hear a mozzie 500m away. The environment has a deep earthy smell which triggers memories from way back.

Wow what a time to be on the water.

I remember many special sessions on barra lakes, even when i didn't catch fish, i still really enjoyed the moment. Pre-Barra-Boom we had great sessions, but stopped fishing a lot of full or new moons when the crowds hit the Barra dams (No serenity there).

Notes From A Full Moon Trip.

One thing i noted on un-pressured lakes was that we got a so called moon/dusk bite on Full & New moon. But we also got these bites at other times. Thiss bite did coincide with a lake rising 12ft in to grassy areas where the fish were hunting on dusk.

The bite got later each night by about 30-45mins and at times the bite only came on for 30 mins then we got nothing for hours. The moon wasn't the only factor. Water rose and the fish were hunting in the new shallows, it was very hot with angry heat from the North, Fishery was un-pressured, the bite was bigger on dusk, we had stable weather for days, we also caught fish in the mid morning and dug fish out sitting hard against a deep edge under lillies etc in the mid arvo so fish were still caught in all time periods including 10pm at night off the bank.
    We fished most hours of the day and rested out of the heat in the mid morning to mid arvo period.

Could be something, could be nothing but lately i haven't noticed too many sessions like this on highly pressured dams with smart fish.

Cheers Lyndon[/quote]

holy shite ...... we cant have agreeance - it goes against the grain

Lyndon .... seriously though - Over the last year I've made 3 trips to impoundments that were organised around the full moon periods - Everyone proved successful in my eyes with several fish landed during a session
    Sept 08 ( mondy muster trip 3 evenings with multiple captures , hook ups ) , Teemburra (ABT Prefish with 5 landed on the moonrise 10th Nov ) , March 09 Mondy ... Best trip to date with multiple captures around moonrise !

We did have stable weather on each occasion- but there was a definite bite period / increase in activity once the moon appeared.

So while I can quickly do a run these days if there is a good weather window - Organising a trip around the full moon has been fruitful

Chris
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    I have noticed definate correlations between certain phases and fish....particularly associated with tide changes!

Steve
    Steve,
    As this seems the right thread to fine tune talk about lake fish, I'd just like to question your thoughts on Tidal Changes. I'm not pickin your ideas to bits for the fun of it- don't get me wrong, I'm just trying to get a grip on the idea. (which I struggle with) It is your words at the bottom of this post that I particularly like.
    Firstly, like Lyndon said in an earlier post, if we took notice of all the apparent mentioned hot or active times to fish for barra- moonrise, moon set, moon up, moon down, sun rise, sunset, tide changes, lar de dah dee dah, etc we would find ourselves on the lake atleast 18 hrs out of 24. I'd bet I could catch a barra in the other 6 hrs in that day! So really, 'industry' hasn't fine tuned anything for the average angler, so lets take a closer look at the tide change.
    You must refer to some card, chart or book to read what time the tide change is I imagine? Now, when does, or is the tide supposed to change on the lake? In any ocean, river, harbour or creek, tidal changes can be hours apart. For example, I can fish the first two hours of an in coming tide on a tidal headland whilst my friend less than 20 miles away is still fishing the last hours of the out going tide. If he went further up stream, the tide is half in where I am, and still going out where he is! So if we bracketed the times of tidal changes between the 18-20 miles, we end up with a 3 hour window, and in the 3 hrs window, there has probably been 50-100 tidal changes in the various rivers and streams in between, and in about 3 more hours, the cycle starts again, in reverse. So are you referring to a minute time window of 25 mins on a lake, based on a chart that gives tide times for point x, y or z, or are you clarifying tide change with some other instrument I'm not aware of, because I find the tide change theory hard to swallow when we talk of fine tuned windows, not gaps hours wide.
    What are your thoughts, and can you really support it with something strong?

I like these words of yours better than your idea on the tide-
    I have found there are subtle changes in the air, wind direction, water movements and a 'feel' I get, just prior as a 'hot bite' period occurs...its weird, but I can feel it, more often than not...there are distinct water activity that occours, be it bait or movement....but it happens and its too weird to explain.
    Steve, I think you just explained it very well!! I'd give you 10 out of 10 for that paragraph in bold print.
    Regards,
    Johnny Mitchell

Johnny, Thanks for that, and I know what you mean that tides change everywhere at various times. I will clarify. I have found on the turn of a tide in the localised area, at Monduran I go on Bundaberg port. I find the wind changes...just a bit, generally a slight shift in direction and increases slightly. It is definatly noticeable in a dead still day, and the wind picks up for a slight period of about 1/2 to 1 hour, and usually so do the fish activity.. more often than not thats when that 'feeling' come into play...It has corresponded with tide change in the area on lots of occassions, and so called 'peak' times with moons....it may be a coincidence...I really dont know, I definaltly dont plan trips around it!! Similar to what you and Lyndon both said, if its blowing 30kt freezing SW wind, no tidal or moon influence is going to be noticable, or effective...mabey it does??? I just aint there to find out!!!....It generally only happend in stable 'nice' weather patterns, because thats when I fish 90% of the time. And again like you said, there are stacks of different moon, tide, major peaks, minor peaks, sunset sunrises etc within a 24 hr period...the odds are high something will line up!!!

I really dont know enough about the whole moon and tides thing to explain why and how it may work. I am only writting what I notice vs what the chart says at a particular time.

Cheers Steve

I've been sitting on the fence, watching where this thread would go and i have got to say it's a good one as it has your thought processes working overtime.

Moon Phases? The moon is the real reason we have tides through gravitational pull and the size of the tide depends on where the moon is ie; wether it is in the sky overhead or on the other side of the earth, also the distance the moon is from the earth. I seem to remember reading some where that the gravitational pull also works on the landmasses creating a bulge effect, this is less noticeable than the rise and fall of the bodies of water, therefore, i do believe that the gravitational pull of the moon does create some movement in bodies of water like our barra impoundments although the rise and fall in these areas would only be very small and probably not noticeable,maybe this is one of the reasons we get currents in the impoundments.
    The gravitational pull is an amazing happening, it was noticed many many years ago that mental patients in hospitals went crazy around the full moon and from that, the word LUNATIC'S was born.
    In my travells around barra dams it has been mentioned to me by of couple of older fishermen, on different occasions the the bite period coincided with the tide.
    Now i guess this would also determine the position of the moon?
    Do i believe it has a marked difference on a pronounced fish bite period, to be honest i'm not sure, in years gone by i used to fish for snapper on a shallow grounds just off the Entrance (NSW) and i found that when i burleyed with bread i could get the fish to bite while the moon was visible in the sky, as soon as the moon set the bite stopped, then on the first rays of light the bite would start again to the extent i would have snapper 30 to 40 feet behind my boat with their dorsals out of the water. Last Wednesday (this week) i was fishing with plastics in 15 to 20 feet of water in Moreton Bay, things were very quiet then the bite happened, 5 fish 40cm 50cm and 60cm snapper, why? i looked over my shoulder and noticed that the moon had just risen (11.06am)
    But in saying that i have also experienced good bites during periods that have no conection to tide or moon, so what's the answer? i don't know. There are the bite prediction charts that i believe come from the Maori's, one i have been looking at shows the bite times coincide around the half in half out tide times, the bite i got on Wednesday was around both moon rise and half in tide.

I can say that i have experienced some very good times in the impoundments on the full moon with the barra travelling through in waves, that is you could have a bite for 10 or 15 minutes then quiet, then half an hour later they would be back. I put this down to being tied off to a tree in the laneways that the barra use when searching for tucker. As i have also experienced the same thing when there is no moon, i tend to believe the answer is location, location, you have got to be where the fish are when travelling to feed.

A few posts back Steve mentioned a feel you get sometimes, i just sat here and thought you too. It's hard to explain, but i guess it's someting like the feeling you get when you walk into a place, it either feels right or you are not comfortable there. A month or so ago i was at Mondy with Nagg and on one afternoon we fished this little secluded bay, plenty of bait flicking no wind, warm it felt reasonably good, even had the right smell, result Nagg managed two fish, a 102 and a 121cm. The next day i was in the same bay with Trev, but unfortunately it just felt different, wind on the surface, not as warm and not as much activity from the baitfish, result Trev had one hook up but lost it.

So my thoughts on the matter are, Take your time to absorb all that is around you, birds, animals, wind, current, warmth, places for fish to hold up as i believe that although you have to have a lure in the water to catch fish, you don't necessarilly have to flog the water to foam, to be sucessful, as if it's not right, the fish will not be there irrespective of the position of the moon or the height of the tides.

Cheers,
    John.

Moons and Tides- is anyone here really that definite about their apparent patterns on tide changes, moon phases and the like to lay their weekly wage on it and still think they'll win their money back? Any takers?
    (Took the bait Johnny but only because Moriarty said we could use the extra $50 to recondition the sewer )

Re moon phases
    I was talking to a few people on this the other day, having some data to present. No it wasn't collected in QLD dams but barras are barra are barras so if you don't think it’s applicable because of that feel free to ignore it.

Anyway there was an ‘ask’ to represent it as single day info relating to moon cycles rather than quarterly (7 days) information.

I re-crunched the numbers on the way home and came up with the graph below.

The info is based on the following collected over 30 months -

191 fish caught over 202 trips (that's over 6 a month and focused on the weekends so all moon phases get picked up eventually)

All outlier catch figures exceeding 10 per session were removed so not to skew the data in favour of that particular day.

The info includes day, night and dusk/dawn trips. To split it down to those individual levels I'd like to have at least double the data but may look at doing that later to see what trends pop out and if they compare with my gut feelings.

There are two graph lines -

Series two, or the pink line is trips done over the 30 month period.

Series one, or the blue line is the average number of fish caught per trip, or catch effort.

The graph has on its vertical axis numbers of fish caught or days fished, on its horizontal axis the numbers are days of the lunar month (there's 29 listed to deal with the slight inconsistencies between moon phases and how you align the data in a table. The difference is minor) Day one is full moon and somewhere around day 14 is new moon.
    From the trip data you can see that every day has at least two trips associated with it, the highest is 10 trips, the average is just under seven. The biggest cluster of trips is centred on the ‘no moon’ period of day 10 to 17 with a quieter period from day 5 to 9.
    The catch data mostly sits under two fish/trip with an average of .9 (remember the big single trip catches are out of the equation). The exception to this is that period of full moon and just after where the average is two fish or more for three days.
    The catch rates on the big moons are good throughout the wet when clouds can be an issue and are clearly impacted on by seasonal variations as with all the catch rates on other moons. Whilst they appear to be a contributor to good catch rates they sit within a cluster of other triggers so should not be seen as the only indicator for being able to predict a good trip.
    Having said that I’m pre-booked for the full moon in October, with the water warming and the bugs scuttling and the moon shining it should be a good one.

PS Just wondering if anyone is able to comment on the catch crash on days five and six after the full moon. To be honest that came as a surprise to me when I did the graph???
    Last edited by Dick Pasfield; 31-07-2009 at 04:31 PM. Reason: typo

DD
    Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    I've been sitting on the fence, watching where this thread would go and i have got to say it's a good one as it has your thought processes working overtime.

Moon Phases? The moon is the real reason we have tides through gravitational pull and the size of the tide depends on where the moon is ie; wether it is in the sky overhead or on the other side of the earth, also the distance the moon is from the earth. I seem to remember reading some where that the gravitational pull also works on the landmasses creating a bulge effect, this is less noticeable than the rise and fall of the bodies of water, therefore, i do believe that the gravitational pull of the moon does create some movement in bodies of water like our barra impoundments although the rise and fall in these areas would only be very small and probably not noticeable,maybe this is one of the reasons we get currents in the impoundments.
    The gravitational pull is an amazing happening, it was noticed many many years ago that mental patients in hospitals went crazy around the full moon and from that, the word LUNATIC'S was born.
    In my travells around barra dams it has been mentioned to me by of couple of older fishermen, on different occasions the the bite period coincided with the tide.
    Now i guess this would also determine the position of the moon?
    Do i believe it has a marked difference on a pronounced fish bite period, to be honest i'm not sure, in years gone by i used to fish for snapper on a shallow grounds just off the Entrance (NSW) and i found that when i burleyed with bread i could get the fish to bite while the moon was visible in the sky, as soon as the moon set the bite stopped, then on the first rays of light the bite would start again to the extent i would have snapper 30 to 40 feet behind my boat with their dorsals out of the water. Last Wednesday (this week) i was fishing with plastics in 15 to 20 feet of water in Moreton Bay, things were very quiet then the bite happened, 5 fish 40cm 50cm and 60cm snapper, why? i looked over my shoulder and noticed that the moon had just risen (11.06am)
    But in saying that i have also experienced good bites during periods that have no conection to tide or moon, so what's the answer? i don't know. There are the bite prediction charts that i believe come from the Maori's, one i have been looking at shows the bite times coincide around the half in half out tide times, the bite i got on Wednesday was around both moon rise and half in tide.

I can say that i have experienced some very good times in the impoundments on the full moon with the barra travelling through in waves, that is you could have a bite for 10 or 15 minutes then quiet, then half an hour later they would be back. I put this down to being tied off to a tree in the laneways that the barra use when searching for tucker. As i have also experienced the same thing when there is no moon, i tend to believe the answer is location, location, you have got to be where the fish are when travelling to feed.

A few posts back Steve mentioned a feel you get sometimes, i just sat here and thought you too. It's hard to explain, but i guess it's someting like the feeling you get when you walk into a place, it either feels right or you are not comfortable there. A month or so ago i was at Mondy with Nagg and on one afternoon we fished this little secluded bay, plenty of bait flicking no wind, warm it felt reasonably good, even had the right smell, result Nagg managed two fish, a 102 and a 121cm. The next day i was in the same bay with Trev, but unfortunately it just felt different, wind on the surface, not as warm and not as much activity from the baitfish, result Trev had one hook up but lost it.

So my thoughts on the matter are, Take your time to absorb all that is around you, birds, animals, wind, current, warmth, places for fish to hold up as i believe that although you have to have a lure in the water to catch fish, you don't necessarilly have to flog the water to foam, to be sucessful, as if it's not right, the fish will not be there irrespective of the position of the moon or the height of the tides.

Cheers,
    John.
    John, awesome additions mate. I totally agree with human behaviour around the full moon...I used to hate doing night shift in Toowoomba, especially if a full moon lined up with a summers weekend...it was scary!!! Ambulance and police stats will verify the increase in 'idiot' activity on full moons...as you said lunatics!!! Mabey the barra are like us, when all the right conditions line up..watch out!!

I am glad you get that feeling too. I bet most on here do! As you said, you can feel differences one day to the next in the same area! I deffinatley believe we humans have a sixth sense....have we either not learnt how to tap into it....OR has it been breed out of us over the thousands and thousands of years from our ancetory as neandatals living a fight or flight existance close to nature. I think that was brought up here somewhere before, or I read it somewhere.

What are the thoughts on barometric pressure??? New can of worms..!!!

cheers
    Steve

Dick, I am a sucker for a good graph!! Thanks mate. I am digesting it now.!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    John, awesome additions mate. I totally agree with human behaviour around the full moon...I used to hate doing night shift in Toowoomba, especially if a full moon lined up with a summers weekend...it was scary!!! Ambulance and police stats will verify the increase in 'idiot' activity on full moons...as you said lunatics!!! Mabey the barra are like us, when all the right conditions line up..watch out!!

I am glad you get that feeling too. I bet most on here do! As you said, you can feel differences one day to the next in the same area! I deffinatley believe we humans have a sixth sense....have we either not learnt how to tap into it....OR has it been breed out of us over the thousands and thousands of years from our ancetory as neandatals living a fight or flight existance close to nature. I think that was brought up here somewhere before, or I read it somewhere.

What are the thoughts on barometric pressure??? New can of worms..!!!

cheers
    Steve
    Ahhhh the new can of worms

Yes Steve ...... sometimes you get that feeling for sure ! - both the last 2 trips

However ........ I've also had or been involved with sessions where it all felt wrong ..... like the day back in March where I left the camera behind & couldn't be bothered going back - Then we land 4 (drop 2) barra in a couple of hours including MWs new PB @ 121 - Go figure!

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Thanks for the graph Dick, good evidence that barra bite better around the full moon and evidence to suggest that you can catch barra at a steady rate at all other stages of the moon. This has been my point for a long time, sure you can catch barra every day of the year but all other things being equal the fish bite better around the full moon. I would just like to ask why you left out the big days as this would better display the peak periods.
    I also have fished all stages of the moon for every month of the year for a number of years now. My catch rates follow a similar pattern as yours but more heavily accentuate the period 5 days before and 5 days after the full moon as I don't leave the good days out. My pattern is similar to yours in showing that I get double the catch rate around the moon as other times during the month.
    So this suggests that the potential for a really good trip with large numbers of barra being caught is more likely around the full moon, providing the other factors are right. Other evidence I have to support this is: I have on 37 occasions caught more than 30 barra in a dam in a session. The factors that lead to these catches are, good stable weather leading up to it, a significant rise in water level, night time and within 5 days either side of the full moon. The thing that stands out from this is, despite fishing hundreds of trips on all stages of moon in very good weather, I have never caught more than 30 fish in a session more than 5 days either side of the full moon. From this I conclude that the moon definitely leads to a peak in barra activity.
    All of this supports both sides of the discussion, the Johnny and lyndons view that you can catch fish all the time is shown to be true but the other side of the argument is also shown to be true in that you get a peak of activity around the full moon. Perfect weather and conditions alone will produce good fishing but great fishing requires perfect weather and the full moon.
    Isn't it nice that both sides of the discussion are proven right,
    cheers scott.

ps: recent evidence of the effect of the moon. similar weather conditions all this week, fished the same 2 hours of the day, same spot, same rod and same lure.
    tuesday : 90, 98cm
    wednesday: 92, 95, 102cm
    thursday: 90,97,98, 105, 110cm
    friday: 85, 88, 93,96, 101,107, 112, 75cm
    So even with the increased fishing pressure of me going there every day the fishing is getting better as we approach the full moon.
    So this is again evidence for both sides of the discussion, you can catch some fish every day but it gets better in the lead up to the moon.
    Last edited by vet; 01-08-2009 at 10:26 AM. Reason: spelling error

I would just like to ask why you left out the big days as this would better display the peak periods.
    G'day Vet,

Lies, Damn lies and statistics

Its a standard practice to take out outlier figures as they may skew the figures abnormally. If a pattern is consistent enough it will show without the 'one of' situations that may be the result of something else. A mathematician would be able to give a standard deviation from the mean (or is it average doh!!) that you can apply.

A good example would be day 22 and day 23. In Feb of this year I killed the pig, not because of the moon but a rapid water level rise. If I'd included the data of day 22 even with the averaging over the number of times I fished that 'day' it would have shown a big spike, you can see the bump on day 23 (where it hits 2) that was left in as the catch figures came in just under my cut off.

But you're right including the big catches would have also shot the figures around the full moon up as well.

btw note my sudden crash on 5 to day 7 before it picks up, admittedly catch effort drops as well. Do you experience something like that as well on the back end of the moon?

Hello Dick,
    Yes I do find a drop in catch rates 5 days after the full moon as well. I suspect it may be to do with the fact that they have fed up really well in the preceeding 10 or so days before. This is only a guess with no hard facts to back it up.
    I understand that statisticians usually drop the highest and lowest values off when preparing statistics. 6 of my 37 trips also were because of increased water level but they also happened within 5 days of the moon. Thanks for your input, scott.

Vet, (Scott) and Dick,
    Your statistics laid out point to a trend of bright moon success, but how much of this success occurs during the daylight hours,,,,,,, the other half of the day?
    I know (Scott), you rarely fish extensivley during the daylight and hover in the stillness of the eve. So if a visitor arrived to fish Awoonga on the moon,,,full, etc, would you expect them to have equal chance by day as they would by night, or by day would you be recommending a totally different moon phase to amp their possible chances during the day?
    Dick,
    One thing I'd like to see laid over your catch results would be weather conditions and catch techniques. As we all know, there are a few different ways to trigger a fish/barra to bite a lure, hunger not being the key derivative at all times. (Reaction, instinct, reflex etc)
    I once thought gun tides and superior moon phases existed in the salt fisheries, but once a few more doors got opened, I realised we as anglers needed to alter our approach a great deal to continue staying in contact with fisheries where altering conditions closed one door and opened another. In apparent peak times, factors aligned and helped us with our candid and simple styles that we adopted. (the fish came to us). I no longer see tides in rivers or sea, or moon phases that make me pack my stuff and go, but I now see a series of 'circumstances', or 'creations' made by nature that require a differing approach to get results. As Scott (Vet) says, several key variables need to align for the bright moon to add to to his super success. Subtract one key variable, and it's back to average results.
    I'll add this link for anyone else who may be keen to read it. The whole page of paragraphs is connected to this matter.
    http://www.fishawoonga.com.au/variables.htm
    Johnny
    Last edited by A_DIFF_PERSPECTIVE; 01-08-2009 at 06:23 PM. Reason: One long sentence didn't make sense.

Hello Johnnie, once again you are absolutely correct. I have never caught 30 plus barra during daylight, my best is 28 done twice. If I was going to fish during the daylight hours I definitely wouldn't recommend coming around the full moon period as they feed so well late at night that I would expect them to be full and laying around digesting all day. my best daytime fishing has been in the mornings around the new moon. I've spent a lot of daylight hours fishing awoonga during daylight hours over the last 2 years with Trev practicing for abt events. this has been to the detriment of my night time fishing. i'm returning to the dark side though this year, as I'm not a good fisherman but a good predicter of when it will be easy at night. So I've tried the other half of the day for 2 years and I don't like it, maybe you should try the dark side Johnny, what happens in the dark is truly amazing.
    Johnny is also right in the fact that you need a lot of key variables in place before you can catch fish, the full moon is just the icing on the cake when everything else is right.
    tonights results show this.
    saturday : 1 bite for a jump off, ie a doughnut.
    this is dramatically different to last night.
    The moon was brighter and nearer to full but the wind was 10knots faster from the south east, the water temp dropped from 19.9 to 18.6, I had a jumper on at the start of the session rather than the end of it, no bugs buzzing around my face, no surface bait activity, lots of waves instead of glassy calm, all of these changes resulted in no fish. so the moon couldn't trump the weather, backing up Johnny statements. My hook up came during a brief lull in the wind, the water glassed over but had remnant swell, bugs came out and I considered taking my coat off. so a brief 10 minute window in the weather produced a bite. then the wind came back with avengence.
    It's always good having a chat with you Johnny,
    cheers scott.

Yep to add a small scenario I was fishing along a friend who was on a charter and we had put a fish in the boat all water factors looked right as far as my know how goes with that side of things He pulls up and works a simular area to in which we were working, the moon was fairly hight the bait was popping and bubbleing around, a fairly hot bite was on through numerous casts, they nailed some nice fish, we moved to search but connected a few fish in doing so eventually we went back to the spot and the moon was about to sink it was amazing to a fishos eyes we noticed the bait slow drematicly and the fish realy went quiet.... the next day we met my mate in the same spot neither of us touched a fish maybe throught the excitement of the day before the fish moved or salked watching the lures rattle by when you think a Bass school may shut down due to released fish do barra too slow and get picky, how long will it last before they challenge the lure agian.... mayeb the next moon period...

Anyhow all that stuff I go when I can go moon or not up or down I will plug away and never loose intrest because thats when you miss the one fish your hoping for!

Nath

Its a good topic indeed & some of the observations & recordings are amazing - well done all for sharing

Nath ..... In the end , I'm with you (& others) - go when you can go ! ....... Its much better to be fishing for barra than banging on a keyboard talking about it

If i have to plan ....... I plan it around a full moon - but i'll gladly fish for barra at any time

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO