Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Weight for an 18ft boat

Re: Weight for an 18ft boat

Quote Originally Posted by gazza2006au View Post
    ... i think in NSW we go by a % of car weight to towable load...
    A looong time ago gazza, but not any more.

In 1989 Australian Design Rules (ADR’s) were introduced which affect the construction (and import regulations etc) of all things automotive, including any Capacity Ratings of vehicles including towing limits, which are set by the manufacturer, or possibly the importer if the manufacturer has not specified such.

There were probably a few years grace, but compliance of these ‘Rules’ has been required by Law for a very long time.

In late 1998, agreement was finally reached by all State Ministers of Transport to implement National towing regulations. NSW's tow limit of 150% of the vehicle mass (or whatever it was), went out the window at this time.
    Cheers
    Brendon

Re: Weight for an 18ft boat

Quote Originally Posted by bay local View Post
    Hi, I am thinking of upgrading my boat within the year and was wondering what an 18ft would weigh roughly (b,m,t). My 4x4 is rated to 1500kg so if I have to update the truck I'd rather do that first than buy both at the same time. I'd be looking at either fiberglass or alluminum as I have a 90 opti that I'd like to keep.

Thanks.
    Bay local, its just occurred to me to ask - what sort of 4x4 do you have that is rated to only 1500kgs? It must be a small one? Suzuki..... older Rav4? Because that does seem a low towable weight for even a smallish 4x4 or SUV??
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....