Thread: Fraser Island Beach Fishing

Smile Fraser Island Beach Fishing

Hi All

new to fishing in Aus and I have been told that now is the time for great beach fishing on Fraser? Is this the time of year when all fisho's stand shoulder to shoudler along the beach halling in as much as you can eat? I have been told it is a spectacular experience and want to know from anyone out there the best way to enjoy this event, i.e. camp on beach, basic rigs for beach fishing etc.
    Any info will be a help to me - thanks all and what a great site this is
    Cheers
    Clayto

Re: Fraser Island Beach Fishing

Clayte,
    Welcome to the site, you will find alot of usefull info on here, as i have.
    Fraser Island in my opinion one of the best places to visit and fish on the east coast.
    Tailor fishing will probably be starting now reaching its peak in september. Mainly fished from the beaches in gutters, identified by 50 people fishing the one spot.
    A large spinning outfit is all that will be required, with most old fishos using a 12ft + rod matched up with usually a 6 inch Alvey reel.
    Fish with a decent sized sinker to get you out and hold bottom and with a gang hook set up with a pilchard for bait.
    This is the basic set up, alternativly you can spin for tailer throwing slicers and slugs but if the fishing is shoulder to shoulder it can be difficult.
    Be advised that some areas of the beach are closed at certain times of year to allow the fish to spawn. the closer runs from 400m south or Indian head to 400m north of Waddy Point (i think) not sure the exact times, maybe someone could verify this.
    Hop[e this helps.
    Cheers
    Knuckle

sorry double post.
    Last edited by knuckle; 30-07-2009 at 09:05 PM. Reason: double post

If you're camping, just make sure you know the regulations about being dingo friendly/safe. ie all food locked up and no garbage bags out. They are cunning little beggars too. They can work in pairs... while one distracts you, the other will pinch your gear. Rangers can give you a nice fine also.
    Great fishing up there for the next few months and you don't necessarily have to find the crowds. Often a nice deep gutter close to shore will keep you busy. The later in the season, the further north the tailor will be, but you'll also catch nice bream, whiting, dart and maybe a mystery fish too at this time of year.

I will be up there again at the end of September. Always get tailor this time of year. Prefer to find my own gutters not with the big crowds. I use a 12' surf spin rod and a big egg beater with 20lb mono. Number 10 ball sinker at the swivel, 1 - 1.5m leader to a gang hook and Pillie as bait.

We beach camp 4 families and bring everything.

Hi guys

I would just like to thank you all for your replies and advice, really really appreciated and simply convinces me that I need to go and find the time to make sure I visit this brilliant spot.

Thanks once again and I hope to be able to show some piccies in the near future

Cheers
    Clayte

I just got back from a solid week on Fraser, staying at Eurong.

Most of the fishing action was at various spots along Cathedral Beach and yes, I did join the masses one day for a shoulder to shoulder fish. Caught a few nice tailor but only chopper size. We got an odd one or two from other holes & gutters along Cathedral Beach but they were more on the bite in the 'crowded zones'.

I caught a couple of tailor off the beach north of Indian Head, on the way to Champagne Pools. I also saw a bloke with half a dozen tailor in a bucket, a bit south of Happy Valley. I was on a drive past so didn't stop to join him.

Me and a mate fished the Maheno for two days straight totalling around 8 hours of fishing for almost zero. There was a nice wide & deep fishy looking gutter right next to the wreck but our efforts were to no avail. He used pilchards while I cast metals.

I did jag a good size sea mullet at the Maheno (with a Halco twisty treble). We filleted it & wacked on the Coleman Roadtrip that I'd bought with us – yep, used it heaps. I should've tried the fresh mullet fillets as bait but we were hanging out for a feed of fish.

We did the Maheno the first two days there as we had to spend some time occupying the kids at Eli Creek. Didn't head north of the Maheno until day 4 as day 3 was Lake McKenzie. So, up until the 4th day we only had one mullet between us.

Retrospectively, with the benefit of hindsight and the tailor being at Cathedral it was too far to travel all the time from Eurong to Cathedral beach. The timing of the high tide is a major factor if you need to cover a fair distance.

If I did Fraser again at this time of year I'd stay at a self contained cabin, or holiday house at the Cathedral Beach settlement or maybe camp at the Dundubara Camping Area. That's mainly because its a great advantage to be close to where the fishing is, so the timing of high tide & beach driving is not such a factor.

Some blokes had apparently found where the main concentration of tailor were and had set up camp right there near where the shoulder to shoulder action was. They had buckets & filleting tables set up and the surf was only a 50m walk from their tents...

On my last day there I fished the falling tide in a nice gutter immediately opposite the turn-off into Eurong. It was 11.00am and I was using pilchards & ganged hooks. I landed two mulloway – one 70cm and the other 80cm – so that was a nice way to end the trip.

A bloke was fishing the same gutter (I arrived there after him) but he didn't catch anything. I think it was because he didn't want to wet his feet but I waded out into the surf for that 'longer' cast.

The best thing was casting the new 8' 6" St Croix surf casting rod. It was a pleasure to use and it was generally great all round – I can't wait to feel what it like loaded up with a decent fish. I used it for both metals & bait and it cast both with ease. The millionaire CV-Z 253 cast better on the St Croix than my TE Conquest 300 did. It seemed that the level wind on the Conquest laboured more going back & forth during the cast which in turn slowed the free spool…maybe.

My Daiwa 10' Sensor Surf rod was also fantastic to use but I didn't enjoy much using the 30lb braid on my Tica Dolphin spinning reel. The braid just got too many niggly tangles & knots and was a bit on the high maintenance side. I even cast off a couple of rigs into oblivion for no apparent reason.

I ended up putting my wife's Penn Spinfisher 6500 with 14lb mono onto the Sensor Surf and it made things much more straight forward. No more lost rigs, casting distance just as far as braid, better peace of mind – and caught fish with it!

In summary – if you intend to stay on Fraser and fish – locate your base as close as you can to where the fishing is – then you'll enjoy things more.
    Last edited by PNG1M; 01-08-2009 at 08:08 AM. Reason: typo...
    "...a voice in my head keeps telling me to go fishing..."