Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Stealing Crab Pots!!!

Stealing Crab Pots!!!

I have had 3 crab pots stolen over the last few months in broad daylight from the sand flats at the Eastern end of Tiger Mullet channel. Obviously, this was getting quite frustrating as I like the anchorage and LOVE my crabbing.

Last weekend, I decided to drop a couple of pots there again. Sucker I know, but I was not going to let some scumbag interfere with my crabbing. After about an hour of the pots being in, I just happened to notice a small tinney very close to one of my pots. I grabbed my binos, and to my horror saw the occupants pulling up what appeared to be my crab pot. They then put the pot into their boat and proceeded to head toward what looks like about a 35ft power catamaran that was anchored about 100m from me. Needless to say, I quickly jumped into my duck and headed straight over to them.

The people were a man and woman aged around 60-70yo. When asked why they had my pot onboard, I got 2 very nervous, very different replies. The woman said they were going to call the phone number on the pot and let the people know they had found it. The man said they had lost 4 pots overnight and were stealing other people pots to replace their own!! I was GOBSMACKED to say the least. Upon me threatening to call the police, they quickly handed back the pot. I then proceeded to accuse them of being dirty rotten thieves and told them to go back under the rock they crawled out of. A war of words quickly errupted with some quite colourful phrases being shouted at each other.

Below is a photo of the boat they were on. I am posting this so others can be aware of these people. I am sure this boat was anchored in the same place (Eastern end of Tiger Mullet, adjacent to the little beach on the right), when I'd previously lost my pots.

I think these people are serial crab pot thieves and people need to be aware of them. If you crab in this area, keep an eye out for their boat. If they are there, watch your pots like an eagle.

Re: Stealing Crab Pots!!!

OH I see how it works now, you get a pot stolen, so you pinch someone elses? and it all just goes in circles! at least you caught them, I reckon I would have called the authorities anyway, not that they would do much, if they even turned up!

need to be careful of defamation on public website, but well done for taking a photo. You definitely need to report this to police and/or fisheries.

Personally, I would have been back to pay them a visit in the early hours and their tender might have mysteriously come untied or even sunk!

Jeremy

If you are serious about this the only way is to get photos and make exact record of conversations if it was to occur again. You need evidence. Solid physical evidence so get out the long camera lense and video as well to give photos context. Otherwise it is he said , you said and the winner is the person with the biggest pockets to pay a lawyer.

I would still report this incident unless you were threatening etc as then fisheries and police may attend the boat if they notice it.

Noel I'm with you mate - hate that sort of attitude and thieves. Wonder if they have lived their whole life like that and will Karma ever catch up with em??

I would certainly be contacting the authorities, relay what occured, and ask for them to look over the boat for your other pots. If those pots are found, and still with your name etc attached, those alleged thieves are then liable for prosecution.

Dave

Thanks for the comments Guys. I don't want to go down the authorities route as it would be as cormorant mentioned "he said, I said". Just want to warn others of these lowlife people....

A few days before that weekend I watched as a couple of blokes set out 5 crabpots in the late afternoon. Next morning they recovered only 2. Later that day, they again put out 5 pots (getting another three from their main boat?) and the following morning just 2 were recovered.

It was quite fascinating to observe the placement of pots in the channel (eastern end of Tigermullet) on what was to become a pair of highest night time tides for the year. The tide runs strongly there.

The first set of missing 3 were not stolen. They ended up well to the east and remained there until the boat departed two days later. As far as I know the pots will still be in the same position and abandoned. They join other groups of abandoned pots that litter the sandbanks on the north east side of Tiger Mullet.

Epoc's story is different. Way different. Courageous too. Good starting point for defamation proceedings.

you did well my friend I wish I would have the same patience, I am a little hot headed and prob would of put a hole in the side of their tinny, but you'd think they would have a little respect being that age, not like a bunch of teenagers looking for cheap thrills. Should of jumped aboard the tinny, ohhh I lost an outboard motor so I might take yours, that sound fair?

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    need to be careful of defamation on public website, but well done for taking a photo. You definitely need to report this to police and/or fisheries.

Personally, I would have been back to pay them a visit in the early hours and their tender might have mysteriously come untied or even sunk!

Jeremy
    A legitimate defence when accused of defamation is that you were reporting the truth... You just have to be able to prove it.

seems like setting pots for long periods (unattended) is pretty common in QLD, down my way, we only set pots for about 15 to 20 mins and stay close by, I would reckon that any pot left unattended would not see the day out, let alone overnight, but maybe it is just the way we do things in different locations huh?

Considering we had 2 boats rafted up with a total of 9 witnesses on board, deformation is the last thing I'm worried about. Anyway, deformation is not an issue as I am simply telling the truth.

Geez some of you people are hard. All I'm doing is trying to help others avoid having their pots stolen

Quote Originally Posted by Mossy247 View Post
    you did well my friend I wish I would have the same patience, I am a little hot headed and prob would of put a hole in the side of their tinny, but you'd think they would have a little respect being that age, not like a bunch of teenagers looking for cheap thrills. Should of jumped aboard the tinny, ohhh I lost an outboard motor so I might take yours, that sound fair?

Putting a hole in the side of tinny might not be the best course of action no matter what the circumstances.

Consider this:- The bloke who owns that boat has had two operations for bowel cancer within the last 12 months and is still (or might just have completed) yet another round of chemo. I have often seen him pull up at the wrong crab pot, thinking that it was his. Poor eyesight. He also has a strange sense of humour and his remark about replacing his pots with others could well have been a joke.

Considering the number of abandoned pots in the area, the lady's response just might have been genuine.

I don't know them well enough to come right out and defend their actions. Personally, I do not touch abandoned pots even though they are, at times, very annoying. I do not disbelieve Epoc's report - I can easily imagine a war of words developing over a misunderstanding. Not being there, it is not my place to make any specific comment other than to repeat that the report was courageous indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by epoc View Post
    Considering we had 2 boats rafted up with a total of 9 witnesses on board, deformation is the last thing I'm worried about. Anyway, deformation is not an issue as I am simply telling the truth.

Geez some of you people are hard. All I'm doing is trying to help others avoid having their pots stolen

That's another worrying fact. I have seen professionals lift crab pots but only on days when few other boats are out.

You'd have to be pretty stupid to lift pots in Tiger Mullet on a weekend.

The old bloke who owns the boat in your photograph might be a bit ill and infirm but I assure you that he is not stupid.

On the other hand he is quite forgiving of life events so defamation might not be an issue here but not for the reasons you have given.

TIger Mullet is such fun. Where would we be without drifting boats, pots, gin palaces, collisions, barneys and little white fluffy dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by epoc View Post
    The people were a man and woman aged around 60-70yo. When asked why they had my pot onboard, I got 2 very nervous, very different replies. The woman said they were going to call the phone number on the pot and let the people know they had found it. The man said they had lost 4 pots overnight and were stealing other people pots to replace their own!! I was GOBSMACKED to say the least. Upon me threatening to call the police, they quickly handed back the pot. I then proceeded to accuse them of being dirty rotten thieves and told them to go back under the rock they crawled out of. A war of words quickly errupted with some quite colourful phrases being shouted at each other.
    Quote Originally Posted by tigermullet View Post

Consider this:- The bloke who owns that boat has had two operations for bowel cancer within the last 12 months and is still (or might just have completed) yet another round of chemo. I have often seen him pull up at the wrong crab pot, thinking that it was his. Poor eyesight. He also has a strange sense of humour and his remark about replacing his pots with others could well have been a joke.
    Seems pretty straightforward to me, they got caught flogging the pots and tried to take the high ground when confronted.

As for you're comment tigermullet, that is pretty goddamn ridiculous. I don't care how crook someone is they are NOT allowed to flog someone else gear. Sick or not, theft is still theft. An honest mistake I would perhaps be bit more inclined to curb the abuse coming from my direction, but the get caught out, admit it, then abuse the bloke who you stole from?? come on, if they were my pots and thats how the theif's dealt with me, I'd be putting money on me being in lockup right now.

I might just try that one out if I ever get done for doing something wrong "sorry officer, I was speeding because I'm sick, how bout you let me off this time?" yer...right

Mate, I've seen it all before.

Bloody share farmers, I've lost 25 pots over a period of time (15 years), all heavy duty steel pots at $45.00 a throw.

It's not the first time and won't be the last time unfortunately.

Bring back the cat of nine tails and let the public view the bastards.

Peter