Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 1 standard settings for fishing offshore - input please

Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 1 standard settings for fishing offshore - input please

I have a HDS 7 Gen 1 which has been great but I recently ventured into some deeper water around 50-60 mtrs and I completely lost my sounder at around the 25 meter mark. Tried all sorts but to no avail.

I am now thinking that my basic settings must be wrong for the type of fishing I am doing which is reefs from 10-70 mtrs.

For instance I have had it set on Shallow water as the Fishing mode which all the USA HDS youtube video's seem to recommend but now I am thinking I maybe need to set it to normal??

I have it set to 200kHz. Should that be reset to 83kHz??

It was on max ping speed but now I'm not sure what it should be? I see some people recommending as low as 8??

Range is auto. Should I set that at something different?

Sensitivity is set to auto.

Any input from people in the know would be much appreciated,

Mal

Re: Lowrance HDS 7 Gen 1 standard settings for fishing offshore - input please

Quote Originally Posted by malby View Post
    I have a HDS 7 Gen 1 which has been great but I recently ventured into some deeper water around 50-60 mtrs and I completely lost my sounder at around the 25 meter mark. Tried all sorts but to no avail.i

I am now thinking that my basic settings must be wrong for the type of fishing I am doing which is reefs from 10-70 mtrs.

For instance I have had it set on Shallow water as the Fishing mode which all the USA HDS youtube video's seem to recommend but now I am thinking I maybe need to set it to normal??

I have it set to 200kHz. Should that be reset to 83kHz??

It was on max ping speed but now I'm not sure what it should be? I see some people recommending as low as 8??

Range is auto. Should I set that at something different?

Sensitivity is set to auto.

Any input from people in the know would be much appreciated,

Mal
    Hi Mal

i have a Gen 1 HDS5 and they run the same software as your 7.

I would definitely change the fishing mode, that may well be part of the problem. I think mine is set to "general purpose" or similar.

Leave it at 200khz, that is fine. Ping speed etc - i havent changed mine from the factory settings so that shouldnt be an issue.ake sure you have selecetd the 83/200 ducr in the setup as well.

I do recall that the Gen 1's had some issues early days re losing bottom, but it was sorted when Lowrance released a software update. I'd recommend that you check the software version yours is running and if it is it not the latest, go to Lowrance website and download and install the current version software.

Do those things and see how you go.

The other limiting factor on your setup is the transducer. The 83/200 is the basic one designed for shallow water use in US lakes, and although I think you should get OK results with it out to 70-80 meters once it is set up right, i reckon you would benefit from an upgrade to a better quality one.

I run a Airmar P66 50/200 and it gives significantly improved performance over either the 83/200 or 50/200 Lowrance OEM transducers. You can pick them up for around the same price as the Lowrance 50/200.

hope that helps.
    Note to self: Don't argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience....

Thanks ML.

I have checked the ducer and its the correct one as per the silver tape on the cable.

I have the latest 4.1 software and have done for some time now.

Have moved from shallow water setting as you suggested but seems some people in google land like fresh water over general as it allows for less variation in depths but still allows for over the 100mtr mark which is all I'll ever use. Open to further input on that one though.

Re upgrading to an airmar ducer I will give that some serious thought esp if they are not too expensive.

Thanks for you input,

Mal

Hi Mal,
    ML is right with what he says.
    Definitely change from shallow water.
    Use general.
    Use 200 kHz.
    Don't get caught up in a lot of the hype you are reading!
    Leave the gain in auto, but manually increase it by a few % in the deeper water and you will get better results.
    25m is absolutely nothing for these units. I have had HDS units with the 83/200 transducer in 150m with no problems at all.
    Try these things. If it doesn't work then the next thing could be a faulty transducer.

Cheers

Pete

Thanks Pete,

I think that the shallow water setting was what was killing things for me.

I will switch to general and see how I go.

What do you reckon about moving up to the tranny ML has?

I fish in anything from 15-70 mtrs,

Mal

The 83/200 is quite ok for what you are doing,
    but...
    a better transducer is always of benefit.
    The main thing you will notice is better target discrimination, especially in deeper water.
    The main choices of transducer for your work would be the Lowrance HST-WSBL 50/200, the Airmar P66, P319, P79 or the B60.
    If I were upgrading transducers, my choice would be the Airmar B60 thru hull.
    What boat do you have?

Cheers

Pete

I have the HST-WSBL transom mount model on a 5 metre Cruise Craft Reef Raider 1985 model.

See pictures attached:

IMG_0493.jpgIMG_0491.jpgIMG_0492.jpg

thats the 83/200 model malby. set on general use. auto everything will be fine. 200 for shallow- 83 for deeper "or both to get a good idea of everything

IMG_0494.jpg
    thats the 83/200 model malby. set on general use. auto everything will be fine. 200 for shallow- 83 for deeper "or both to get a good idea of everything
    Not sure how to set it to both?
    Also, what do you regard as deeper? I fish in up to 60 mtrs generally.
    Should I move to 83 in 50-60?IMG_0495.jpg
    IMG_0496.jpgIMG_0497.jpg

under frequency you should have a drop down menu [200khz - 83khz- 200khz/83khz] that double one will show both at once.

Would you suggest running it on both all the time or what?

no not really. partially because it takes up a lot of room . but its a good way to compare the pulses.

not sure of the reasoning though malby. but traditionaly transducers are place on the right hand side of the engine. the starboard side. as the propeller rotates it causes cavitation and bubbles to the left. which might/usually/ cause interruption and noise on the sonar

If you only use 200khz you will get better target separation but you sacrifice how much water under the boat is being scanned as it only sends out a narrow beam. 83khz however sends out a wider beam which covers a wider area so it is great for finding bait schools, fish etc. but you lose definition. I generally use 83khz until I find what I am looking for then switch back to 200khz for a more detailed look. if you have downscan which I think runs at 455khz you will get an even clearer picture. Hope this helps

If you only use 200khz you will get better target separation but you sacrifice how much water under the boat is being scanned as it only sends out a narrow beam. 83khz however sends out a wider beam which covers a wider area so it is great for finding bait schools, fish etc. but you lose definition. I generally use 83khz until I find what I am looking for then switch back to 200khz for a more detailed look. if you have downscan which I think runs at 455khz you will get an even clearer picture. Hope this helps
    Excellent, that really helps me to understand how I can use this sounder better. I don't think I have downscan as it is the 1st version/generation but I will try the 83 as you have suggested and then hone in using the 200 and I look forward to seeing how that go's.

Thanks for the insight,

Mal