Thread: Daiwa Monster Mesh Rods....anyone used one?

Daiwa Monster Mesh Rods....anyone used one?

G'day all, I've been looking for a medium/heavy spin rod around the 6 to 7 foot mark to match with a Shimano Saragosa 18000 to mainly use for heavy bottom bashing, jigging and chucking big poppers.
    Just came across the Daiwa Monster Mesh 7' Spin PE3-6, has anyone used this rod? Seems pretty cheap at $289

cheers

Re: Daiwa Monster Mesh Rods....anyone used one?

They do look good on paper and seem like a great rod for around $300. I'm also interested in the 6'3 model, rated PE 2-4 for bottom bashing and jigging. Not sure if you're going to find a rod that will be comfortable to use jigging as well as casting poppers but that's just me. Also interested in how those who've tried and tested the MM rods compare them to the Live Fibre range.

Look forward to more opinions.
    "holy sh!t, did you see that?"

Quote Originally Posted by WestOzDesertFisher View Post
    They do look good on paper and seem like a great rod for around $300. I'm also interested in the 6'3 model, rated PE 2-4 for bottom bashing and jigging. Not sure if you're going to find a rod that will be comfortable to use jigging as well as casting poppers but that's just me. Also interested in how those who've tried and tested the MM rods compare them to the Live Fibre range.

Look forward to more opinions.
    on second thought...........jigging will probably be done only on very few occasions, actually almost never.....just the thought of the effort involved makes me sweat It'll mainly be used for bottom, trolling and casting.

I just wonder if it'll be able to put enough hurt on a big red or a big GT? Daiwa recommend 11kg drag pressure on the rod, which matched to the Saragosa 18000 which puts out a max drag of 20kg (not that I intend on setting it that high) just seems not quite heavy enough. Having read Alan Hawks review of the Stella he mentions "So, a static spool set at 18KG of drag will not move on 18KG pull, but it will need a starting pull of anything from 20-23KG to start moving, then once mobile it will start giving line at the original 18KG until it stops and starts again."
    So, this rod being rated to 11kg cannot have a reel set to 11kg of constant drag pressure due to the reel initially requiring about 13-15kg to run the drag. Therefore, to match this rod, your drag should be set to maybe 9kg to be safe, am I correct? This makes me a little hesitant as to wether it'll be heavy enough for my intended purpose.

Cheers

Start at 10-11kg of drag then put more on if needed, and keep the rod on the low side of 45deg on strike untill the fish is hooked or takes line, then use the rod as normal. Also you can jig from the belt rather than under the arm with a long rod .

Quote Originally Posted by GPB View Post
    Start at 10-11kg of drag then put more on if needed, and keep the rod on the low side of 45deg on strike untill the fish is hooked or takes line, then use the rod as normal. Also you can jig from the belt rather than under the arm with a long rod .
    My first (serious) jig/spinning set up (I have always been a fan of overhead rods/reels for offshore/heavy set-ups) I have a MM (the MM632MLFS-SIC - which is the 6'3" rod suited to PE1-3 and a max drag of 7kg) mated to an 8000FI Stradic with some 50lb braid and, whilst not a giant killer was good enough to get a handle on some 5-8kg GT's cruising around the new rockwall at the East Arm ramp up here at Darwin the other morning.

Did OK offshore on a bluewater charter a few weeks ago and flicking hardbodies around on the Mary River at Shady Camp the weekend before last. It will be interesting to see how it handles jigging kingies in deepwater when I head back home at the end of the year.... Stay tuned.

I second the suggestion to keep the rod tip down with them, they do look a little fine tipped and easy to highstick should you not be careful.

Regards,

Dave

Attachment 49472I have 2 monster mesh rods a spin 63 pe 2-4 matched up with a saltiga z4500 ( but a 3500-4000 size would be better imo ) and a overhead pe 2-4 matched up with a saltiga z30 both are used for jigging with 40lb braid i would reccomend them they are very powerfull rods light weight and comfortable to use i preffer the spin for jigging but thats a personal choice .
    I have caught some nice fish with them kingies and ajs up to 8kgish and have been blown away by bigger fish i also have an 80lb outfit but always seem to get smoked with the lighter outfit ( go figure ) but the spin 63 pe 2-4 snaps 40lb braid easily with the drag locked up so that is a good indication of the pressue you can apply to it so i would say the monster mesh is a good rod and excellent value for money ! THE ABOVE PHOTO SHOWS THE MM ROD AND A 4.5KG AJ
    Regards MONOSTRETCHO
    quote of the day ( guns don`t kill people fathers with pretty daughters do ) !!:wink: