Thread: threads

threads

new to rod building and very keen to learn ,what threads can you use apart from ones you buy from a tackle shop ie stuff you could get from a sewing centre or craft shop?I have a got a few 50m spools of "A" and "C" gudebrod metallic cause the caught my eye but just wondering if there are better stuuf to start with ..hope this isnt to silly a question

Re: threads

Go with the proper rod binding threads mate, the kind you get from a tackle store, you will be better off and have less dramas with filler/ colour preserver/ epoxy in the long run !!

thnx for the advice was hoping i could use embrodery or upholstery thread to learn with as its cheaper than the gear my local tackle shop sell's $10-$15 for a 50 metre spool of thread versus $3-$5

Some polyester embroidery threads are fine.
    I use a lot of Madeira PolyNeon for thread art and underbinds, but I tend to use the purpose built rod wrapping threads for guides.
    That is mainly because embroidery threads are typically smaller than size A so whilst you can use them on guides etc, they require much more attention to detail in terms of packing etc.
    The generally require colour preserver because they have coatings to make them feed through sewing machines. These coatings can cause fish eyes in the epoxy if you don't use CP.
    Stay away from rayon and cotton and you're pretty safe.

In terms of saving money... You'd think so wouldn't you?
    Trouble is there afre so many colours to choose from you end up getting them all
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Sound advice from both Owen and Hooknose. As a beginner I would be using C grade thread for binding on your guides. It will run up the foot of the guide far better than A grade or Polyester threads which take a little time and experience to use to their fullest potential. Same goes for metalic threads. Once you get profficient at binding you can then build up a "library" of different threads to use for different purposes. I use a lot of Mettler Polysheen, Madiera and Brother Polyester but I still also use some Gudebrod threads. The polyesters are far cheaper and have a great lustre to the them but there are small problems with using them which Owen has mentioned. Remember, you can never have too much thread!

Regards
    Mark

thanks all for the great advice ,i can see how it would b very easy to end up wit all the colours of the rainbow plus there varying hues at the moment im pulling old rods apart and putting guides bck on havent even thought of the finishes yet......can any 1 suggest a dvd or book that would suit a beginner but at the same time touches on the more advanced stuff
    thanks again mick

thanks all for the great advice ,i can see how it would b very easy to end up wit all the colours of the rainbow plus there varying hues at the moment im pulling old rods apart and putting guides bck on havent even thought of the finishes yet......can any 1 suggest a dvd or book that would suit a beginner but at the same time touches on the more advanced stuff
    thanks again mick

Can be cheaper to get threads OS if your getting a few. Here's a couple of sites for rod components.
    http://www.acidrod.com/index.html
    www.mudhole.com

Dave
    Avast ye matey!

mick, a book you should have is "advanced custom rod building"by dale p.clemens a wealth of information about the art and will give you an idea of the basics and not so basics of rod building.a good dvd i found is custom rod building with doc ski. both of these gave me a fairly good idea of what i wanted to achieve plus what i've read and seen in this forum is gold....peter

the Clemens book is the 'bible' of the custom rod builder. Another of his books is "Advanced Custom Thread Art"....it takes things to a new level. I once spent 60 hours on a tartan wrap..............was a birthday present for my brother on a custom built 3kg Ugly Stik blank for chasing small tuna offshore. First outing he set the drag to heavy and it bounced out of the rod holder and headed for davy jones locker behind an unknown tuna. I was more peed off than he was.....my fingers still had the callouses on em from the build. I have more than 300 spools of thread in my collection, and still havent got all bases covered....be careful..it can become an addiction.

Greg

Thanks again all
    I'll b ordering the "bible" later on today and might wait till i get it before i start ordering threads trying to resist the urge to get online and order stuff ...this addiction thing how do i recognise the intial symptoms ?

mick

your dwindling bank balance will tell you

Also you'll start asking your wife if she would like to come shopping at Lincraft with you.
    Cheers,
    Owen

The whole world's mad save thee & me (but I'm not too sure about thee)

Damm think i'm hooked ...got the wife to come to spotlight with me on the weekend

Oh Dear!!!!!!