Thread: Dumped Toxic Waste Cape Moreton

Dumped Toxic Waste Cape Moreton

Hey all, after reading the post regarding safe to eat, i remembered a doco last year on foxtel on the good old USA dumping there Toxic chemical waste (mustard gas etc)after the WW2.

In other countries they were starting have problems with the barrels of toxic waste starting to rust out and leaching out their contents and causing problems, then at the end of the show, it named other places where they dumped there chemicals, i was surprised when it named Moreton Island, Brisbane. i couldn't remember how much toxic waste, so i did a search and it looks like approx 8000 tonnes of waste was dumped of Cape Moreton.

i know it was 60 years ago, but it must have caused some problems out there and maybe still is. this issue along with the recent oil spill, does concern me a little about the fish we catch and eat from there. having said that i still eat them

i can't remember the name of the show, but here is something i found on the net, its worth reading.

http://www.environment.gov.au/coasts...g-chemical.pdf

cheers,

Bryn

Re: Dumped Toxic Waste Cape Moreton

It was not just the yanks that dumped there, we dumped and the french did as well and those figures are well under the totals. There are other old archive sources that were and most likely still are available on the net itmising some other drops not listed in this paper.

There are marks on the net for "Dedge Reef" which is actually one of the dumping locations. Makes me wonder how stable those munitions would be down there these days and if snagging on some cartridges could release a lot of nasties. Be the last place I would target for a fishing foray.
    Jack.