Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Buying Overseas Update

Re: Buying Overseas Update

I dont understand it either. You'd be mistaken for thinking plenty in here simply wish to turn people off spending offshore...surely not . Right now there's hardly any real difference purchasing offshore to onshore and its simply about the product u want at the price you are prepared to pay...in the great majority of cases if sourced from offshore its a simple easy transaction with simple easy and generally reliable fast delivery from offshore. Just be aware of the odd warranty issues and import problems with some electronics...which u can freely read about on any of a dozen forums.

Noone is going to throw u in jail and slap electrodes on ya gonads if your total is just over $1000 including delivery costs. Just do the right thing by customs if over $1000 purchase price or if in doubt just check. Things have in effect been made simpler for us, but of course anyone with a vested business interest would rather you did not take advantage of this by supporting anti competitive business practices...such as by saying its somehow difficult or complex when it isnt.

In general sticking to reputable sites offshore u have very few if any concerns due to intense competition that doesnt happen in this country. Its not rocket science nor anything to be concerned about..its simply joining the new world economy. If you get value here... buy here.

In most cases all you are doing paying significantly more onshore is paying distributors/middlemen for offshore manufactured goods anyway. You simply have a choice to pay the middlemen and send your money offshore by buying locally, or sending less money offshore by not paying the middlemen fee's and going direct.

Over the next 6-12mths we'll all start to hear every night how such and such industry is being so called "hurt" by Australians joining the rest of the world in their shopping habits. The crying will be led by the most uncompetitive sectors of the economy trying to go backwards, as well as the saturated boom/bust sectors like tourism.

The more you save the more your disposable income gets circulated about IN THIS COUNTRY....instead of just feeding middlemen and the money going offshore anyway. You can actually help our local guys out and speed up the inevitable rationalisation of the industry here by purchasing offshore from reputable businesses whenever significant savings are to be made.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    So just to clear up some possible confusion

So under the $1000 limit, the freight, packing and insurance are not included in the ammount for assssment of the $1000 limit nor in the amount to be taxed if at all.
    Correct if the value of the item is Under $1000 the cost of frieght and insurance does not count towards anything.

Quote Originally Posted by oldboot View Post
    AND above the $1000 limit the freight packing & insurance may be included in the amount to be taxed.

correct?
    Correct. If over $1000 then you will be charged duty (if applicable) on just the value of the goods then you will be charged GST on the vlaue of the goods+duty+Frieght/insurance.

I can see very good reasons why we need to know the detail of what goes on.

Freight and such being or not being included could very much influence the viability of purchasing overseas.

When purchasing from china and asia quite often the freight costs more than the item.

Even from the US heavy or bulky items may attract very solid freight costs.......if these costs bust you $1000 limit the whole thing may cease to be viable.

When purchasing overseas you need to go into it with your eyes wide open and in possesion of all the require information.

OR you may find you overseas purchase costing you a lot more than you expected.

For example
    If you were going to purchase a couple of downriggers from the us,

The cost of the goods may come in just over the $1000...... but including freight costs and local taxes this might add several hunderd $$$$.

BUT

by not including the bombs, this reduces the purchase cost to below the $1000 and makes a significant decrease in freight cost.

so by purchasing the bombs localy at a much higher price you may end up well a ahead.

And there was an example of this posted here a year or so ago.

So buy your bombs localy

( for the benifit of government spooks, this is not a terrorist post, a bomb is the weight used on the end of a downrigger line and may be as high as 20KG....... big brother is watching)

cheers
    Its the details, those little details, that make the difference.

Smile Re: Buying Overseas Update

Guys I have used this vendor a couple of times and had no problems at all times were on my door step within 7 working days.
    http://www.koalagps.com/

Quote Originally Posted by FishHunter View Post
    I don't get all this wrangling over what customs will or will not do. If the thought of paying duties and gst on freight scares you then just don't import the goods.
    I agree totally..if any duties and GST are putting you close to local price then why bother?

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    I agree totally..if any duties and GST are putting you close to local price then why bother?
    If the cost of the item is under $1000 Australian dollars (converted usually from US dollars) then there is no GST or Duty.
    When it goes over $1000 this is when local is usually better, but not always.
    I have purchased over $1000 and it was not picked up by customs, so there was no extra costs. Even if they had picked it up it was still better to buy it overseas as the item was not available in Australia and the equivalent that was available was not good enough. Saved money and got a better item.

I know people who have purchased lots of times overseas and only one has been picked up for gst and duty. After paying the extra costs the item came close to the local price, but the savings made from their other purchases were still in their favour.

If I am considering buying overseas I add up all the possible cost,freight, gst and duty, if it comes within 5% of local, then I will buy local.

Ian