Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Buying Overseas Update

Re: Buying Overseas Update

I'm glad you're happy with your deal Mindi, but i won't going down that road for my next sounder. I checked out the link you posted and at 80 cents to the $ and when you add the freight the sounder I'm after is only $185 AU cheeper from your site than if I buy it from BCF. And I know I can do better than the BCF price if I try harder. Each to his own but for the sake of about $135 (in my case) I'll sleep better buying mine here with a local warranty.
    Cheers
    Mike

if there is a sale on for something 10-15 % cheaper for what i want , iam there esp beer ,but ask bcf abt a warrenty return and you will find a long wait for its return

crickey heath bit of passion out there and i thought fishing was relaxing - mate i buy B&B and will continue to do so and i will continue to read what you write even if you are using a dreaded os bought sounder or gps to find your spots - see you and best rob

Battler1
    you have a right to your opinion but so has Heath
    this is not having a go at anybody just putting reasons why nobody can be blamed for seeking bargains anywhere else other than here
    we are in a global economy not just our tiny little paradise and he is probably a consumer like you having to pay for all his gear, very few writers get gear any cheaper than anyone else.
    if he is anything like the majority of fishing writers he doesn't even make the basic of full time wages, plus the fact that the average fishing writer has to keep up with new tech stuff like rods, reels and electronics just to stay ahead of the game so his stories are based on the present not the past, the average punter can get a longer run from much of their gear
    whether you agree or not, it is a very harsh call cancelling a subscription to a mag blaming Heath because he is upfront and wants to save where he can

I am not associated with B&B or even know Heath, I do however support buy local when you can and also save a dollar where you can

cheers
    SL
    IFISHCQ2

Ausfish Platinum Member scuttlebutt's Avatar

I'm thinking about getting a 620 so interested in these threads. Probably wait in hope of the Aus$ strengthening a bit more tho. Over 90c and I'm there. Hopefully before the wind drops towards the end of the year!

Interesting views on the fishing writer thing. If a writer is honest enough to tell it like it is then I think that's a good thing. Shows honesty, independance and strength of character.
    I cringe when I see sponsored fishing shows/magazines where the hosts are gelded into using rubbish gear and trying to convince the viewers to rush out and buy it. And the supposed "articles" which are really advertorials.
    There are plenty of once independant fishing identities that sell-out to fishing gear companies and lose their ability to call rubbish what it is. I don't buy the big-name glossy mags for this reason.

Geez thats cheap.

I just had a quick look at his prices, and they are much lover than our cost prices from distributors.

Seriously, how do you compete with that.

Majestic,

thats the issue with the aussie distributors, taylors are not only marking up the 30% markup in the US but adding a further 35-40%, why the grey market is popular given the world economy these days.

BTW Trymax have the 620 advertised for 1295 with transducer and full Aus support.

http://www.trymax.com.au/

Regards
    HOnda.

I bought my Volvo Stainless Steel prop set from the US. Saved around $1500. Had to pay GST on it, but no duty (because it was for a fishing boat - ).

Anyone need more info, pm me

Cheers

Ad

Quote Originally Posted by Maddac View Post
    I bought my Volvo Stainless Steel prop set from the US. Saved around $1500. Had to pay GST on it, but no duty (because it was for a fishing boat - ).

Anyone need more info, pm me

Cheers

Ad

G'day

Where did you buy your props from? prop shop or volvo themselves over there?

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by Blackened View Post
    G'day

Where did you buy your props from? prop shop or volvo themselves over there?

Dave
    Do a google search for "propshopinc". I found the best price there, and then got a shop to pricematch (allisonmarine). really helpfull.

Hey, your not the Dave that came out to the Scottish prince when Jez and I went for a Dive? You caught that great Snapper( well actually I caught it and you landed it)!!

G'day

That'd be me all 80cm of it

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by MajesticMarine View Post
    Geez thats cheap.

I just had a quick look at his prices, and they are much lover than our cost prices from distributors.

Seriously, how do you compete with that.
    Easy, become an importer and not be so greedy...

I have been shopping around fro a FCV295 Furuno.
    I have a good price for Aus but from the US I can get it for 2985 AUS. Nearly $1000 cheaper than here.
    I am undecided what to do.
    I CAME INTO THIS WORLD KICKING, SCREAMING AND COVERED IN SOMEONE ELSES BLOOD. I HAVE NO PROBLEM GOING OUT THE SAME WAY.
    NEWBY T.G.

Blackened,

If you want any more info, call Jez and ask for my number.

Ad

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBY View Post

I have a good price for Aus but from the US I can get it for 2985 AUS. Nearly $1000 cheaper than here.
    Newby, it's not about being greedy mate. It's the fact that there is a monopoly when it comes to distribution. For our prices to dramatically drop, like you said, there needs to be another importer to bring some competition to the market.

It's just as frustrating for us resellers when the US price is almost 1000 dollars less our price and the margins we make is very minimal. To give you an idea, we are lucky to make more than 2% margin on most products.

Are you sure ive done the figures & there no way theres $1000 differance.

Joe

Quote Originally Posted by NEWBY View Post