Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Angler fined for fishing green zone

First Angler fined for fishing green zone

Hi All just heard on the 10am news that the first angler caught fishing in the new moreton bay green zone at tripconeys bight(donnybrook area) was fined $500 he alledgedly had the material on him to show where they zones were an admitted he was in the zone

shane

Re: First Angler fined for fishing green zone

Cheers,
    Chris

ya beat me to it.

http://www.news.com.au/story/0,27574...-29277,00.html

A RECREATIONAL fisherman has had an expensive fishing trip after being the first person to be slugged with a $500 fine for dropping a line in a Queensland bay green zone.
    The man was fishing in the Tripcony Bight green zone in the Pumicestone Passage in south-east Queensland, when he became the first recipient of a fine issued under the new Moreton Bay Marine Park zone plan.
    Queensland Climate Change and Sustainability Minister Kate Jones said ignorance was no longer an excuse, as everyone should know where and where not to fish.
    "This was a recreational fisherman, out on his own, who was spotted with a line in the middle of the green zone," Ms Jones said.
    "The incident in question involved a clearly deliberate and blatant breach.
    "Those who flout the new green zones can expect to be fined."
    Ms Jones thanked the thousands of boaties and fishers who enjoyed the Moreton Bay Marine Park over the school holidays and did not break the law.
    "Marine Park rangers who inspected 24 zones in the first week of July reported that they had spoken to dozens of people and had no cause to issue any verbal warnings," she said.
    "We all need to treat the new zones seriously and those who don't will feel the full force of the law."
    The Moreton Bay zoning plan, introduced earlier this year, protects 16 per cent of the bay as green zones.
    Fishing is not allowed in the green zones, but is still permitted in 84 per cent of the park.

would be interested to know why he was in the green zone, and whether the Tripcony Bight green zone is marked with signs. It can be confusing to navigate around that area.

Jeremy

i was sitting out the front of my mate's place on the weekend with a cuppa and saw boats clearly fishing in the green zone off beachmere, either they don't realise or they are frikkin idiots, it's more than obvious.

did they say whereabouts in tripcony bight this guy was stopped? it's been a green zone for years, although the boundaries have changed slightly they are clearly marked. certainly at the southern end anyway.

Well if you head down to shorncliffe pier you will see a stick out in the water that marks the greenzone. Its north of the pier in the middel of the rocky part. I dont get it myself, the sign faces toward the shore. It cant be seen by shore based fisherman and chances are no boat will head around to the other side to read it. It would have to be one of the dumbest signs I have ever seen.

There is another stick closer to nudgee beach, no doubt its the same.

Hey, can anyone clarify please, is it where your boat is or where your lines are?

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzil View Post
    Hey, can anyone clarify please, is it where your boat is or where your lines are?
    Hi Pretzil

You can anchor your boat just outside the green zone but your lines must not enter the zone i quite often anchor just up from the zone and throw towards the zone but not inside it and have had marine parks come over but as my lines are outside the zone i am allright but they just said to be careful they do not enter thezone.
    The news said he was 300m inside the zone and that is about on the boundry of the old zone.

The zones are clearly marked with sign's up there on the sand banks and the shore line, as it is at woody point with marker bouys one that states the southern most mark of such and such marine park zone ect and a post out from the jetty that say marine park green zone but there are always boats inside them as the one at tripconey bight always people well inside then fishing and it is also a go slow zone

shane

robersl, as long as your boat is outside the green zone they can't fine you, doesn't matter where your lines are.

GBRMPA tried this with a mate of mine, he was ancored outside the grenn zone and fishing, the current was pushing towards the green zone, they tried to book him, he told them to shove it, he cannot control where the current takes his lines and he parked OUTSIDE the green zones.

But seriously, WTF are they going to do? Done the scuba gear swim down and take a photo of your hook insdie the green zone? And how are they going to prove its in the green zone? GPS data is not an acceptable means of navigation, and you can't see landmarks as described on the maps whilst you're under water.

Point is, as long as your boat is anchored outside the green zones, they can't stop you from tossing a line into one, because they can't prove your line is actually in the green zone.

Quote Originally Posted by Pretzil View Post
    Your lines must not enter the green zone in the water, as far as I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott nthQld View Post
    robersl, as long as your boat is outside the green zone they can't fine you, doesn't matter where your lines are.

GBRMPA tried this with a mate of mine, he was ancored outside the grenn zone and fishing, the current was pushing towards the green zone, they tried to book him, he told them to shove it, he cannot control where the current takes his lines and he parked OUTSIDE the green zones.

But seriously, WTF are they going to do? Done the scuba gear swim down and take a photo of your hook insdie the green zone? And how are they going to prove its in the green zone? GPS data is not an acceptable means of navigation, and you can't see landmarks as described on the maps whilst you're under water.

Point is, as long as your boat is anchored outside the green zones, they can't stop you from tossing a line into one, because they can't prove your line is actually in the green zone.
    If the officers are confident that your lines are in the Green Zone they will charge you. You can then either pay up or fight it in caught. If you fight it will be up to the Magistrate and it's your word against 2 officers of the Government with 10 years service ect ect. They will probably also have a photo or video and a recording of everything you said when they approached you.

Your mate must be very lucky Scott NthQld, you said the officers "tried to book him" and "He told them to shove it" and that worked. If I'd known it was that easy I might have gotten out of all those speeding tickets
    Cheers

no officer would ever want to video or tape record any conversation with me without my permission...that cannot be done.

This Govt does not care what it does..nearest thing to dictatorship I have ever lived under...they will change rules to suit themselves at any times...but you may want to try and bribe the officers...obviously worked with some coppers and a Minister...and probably a lot more if the truth comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post
    no officer would ever want to video or tape record any conversation with me without my permission...that cannot be done.
    You're kidding arn't you Pin. It happens every day, happens in every State, was also happining when the Nats ran Qld, and happens to be legal.

PinHead said "This Govt does not care what it does..nearest thing to dictatorship I have ever lived under...they will change rules to suit themselves at any times...but you may want to try and bribe the officers...obviously worked with some coppers and a Minister...and probably a lot more if the truth comes out."

Too true Pin, I never thought live to see this sort of behaviour from police or Gov Ministers in Qld.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by PinHead View Post

This Govt does not care what it does..nearest thing to dictatorship I have ever lived under...they will change rules to suit themselves at any times...but you may want to try and bribe the officers...obviously worked with some coppers and a Minister...and probably a lot more if the truth comes out.
    I wonder if they'd take a fish as a bribe....... probably not....I doubt they'd see the humour in it.

I sure would.
    So shines a good deed in a weary world
    - William S Shakespeare and William S Wonka_

they have a helicopter doing the rounds down here in the Solitary Is Marine Park

takes pics of anglers and boats with GPS and sends of fines, haven't heard if it has been contested yet

Also I just found out that it is illegal to take cunjevoi from the South Coffs breakwall to Sandon River I don't personally but know a heap that do and they were shocked when told a bloke got fined the other day for getting some from Corindi Beach rocks

cheers Murf