Thread: ABC More deformed fish found in Noosa River

ABC More deformed fish found in Noosa River

http://au.news.yahoo.com/a/-/austral...chemical-stop/

The owner of a Sunshine Coast fish hatchery has again called for a moratorium on the use of some farm chemicals after the discovery of more deformed fish in stock from the Noosa River.
    Queensland Primary Industries Minister Tim Mulherin says fresh reports of two-headed mullet embryos - and a single three-headed embryo - will be investigated by a special task force that was set up in January.
    Hatchery owner Gwen Gilson says the deformed embryos were produced after she used mullet from the Noosa River as breeding stock.
    "I want to see a complete moratorium on all chemical usage until it is proven safe on Australian native fish, eggs, embryos, and only then to be released into the wider community," she said.
    "That way it'll safeguard my fish hatchery, my business and the Noosa River included."
    Ms Gilson says she has been adhering to biosecurity guidelines recommended earlier this year.
    "It has been put into place this season. I have been able to produce good quality, healthy fingerlings once again," she said.
    "That was until I used brood stock fish from the Noosa River."

Anyone catching 3 headed fish up that way?

Re: ABC More deformed fish found in Noosa River

Interestingly the tests on the river reveal close to nothing re chemicals and the macca farm she blamed for the first incident hasn't been spraying, so who is she going to blame now. Don't hear of other hatcheries having the same problems. Ms Gibson should be up for defamation given the way she openly blamed the macca farm for using endosulfan, when they haven't used it for years. Me think the problem lies elsewhere (possibly within).

One more thing. Ms Gibson conveniently destroyed all the evidence of this latest claim, making it difficult for anyone to investigate it.

The greenies are now involved making the usual factually baseless comments.

Hope this quickly turns into the little boy who cries wolf.

Hope it gets sorted soon, they've been producing good fish for around 20 years, be an absolute shame to loose a hatchery.