Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Built for Speed

Built for Speed

Hey fellow Ausfisher's.

Over the past 3-4 mths been heading out with a few mates around the Brisbane river and other smaller creeks around our area in search of Giant herring and Mangrove Jacks. (All fish released)

The bait of choice was Brisbane river prawns and poddy mullet around 15-20cm long, we usually used 4/0 black magic hooks, but sometimes went little bigger but not often.

The first session Troy and Scotty ended up fishing a tight creek of the Brisbane River near some healthy jack structure. They sent the baits out, one with a live prawn and the other was using a live mullet around 15cm. Around 2hours later Troy heard Scotty yell out and say he was on!

The fish went ballistic and after 25min of fast runs, huge jumps and erratic direction changes they netted it up the cliff and measured a 104cm Giant herring.

The same session Troy also got a nice 95cm Giant Herring that went crazy again with huge jumps and fast runs.

Second session:

Troy and myself went out and tried to see if we could find another spot in the river that holds this great speedsters.

After collection of bait we moved to the new spot and set up. Casted the live prawns and mullet in and after 15min I was on. It took straight towards the air then ran straight towards structure and I was panicking. Tightened the drag a bit and managed to stop the 40meter run, it jumped again and ran straight back the other direction with its fins out of the water. What a great display. With some more big jumps we finally landed a nice 87cm Giant Herring.

The session then went very quite, around 5hours later in the morning Troy got a huge hit and the meter Giant herring took straight to air but spat the hooks

10min later I casted at this bust-up and with a solid crack I was on. This fish was very fast and didn't jump once but its blistering speed was amassing to watch. It did runs of around 60meters with a heavy drag and then would run straight back with me having to get line in fast. Troy got down with his landing net and landed this 91cm Giant Herring.

Third session:

Troy and myself went out again to try our luck. Collected bait and rigged up.

This night was freezing and our hopes were not high. But after many hours of waiting, I heard this bust-up and felt my line twitch. Clicked my shimano calais200 into gear and struck hard. Straight into the air this huge Giant herring goes and into some very fast runs with some big jumps in the middle for some entertainment. Took around 15min to land and yet again Troy does a great job on landing this 98cm Giant Herring.

Around 45min after this fish Troy casts at this big bust-up and within 5sec his line is screaming back towards this broken tree and he is screaming jack, jack for sure. Indeed it was, a very nice 47cm Jack.

Fourth session:

This session was very slow and after staying up until 6in the morning we thought there was no hope. With the morning boat traffic starting, we thought we should soon be heading off. We decided to stay for a bit more, at around 8-9am Troy had his rod nearly taken out of his hand when this very nice giant herring took of. It did the usual with nice runs, huge air and fast direction changes and after 10min troy landed this nice 92cm Giant herring.

Fivth session:

This session was more of a muck around catching bream on mullet head ect,

We were using Daiwa battlers and Calais 200 with 20lb braid and locked drag

We had caught around 5bream around 35cm when this big fish took my mullet head Haha. It took 40meters of line under locked drag and i said this isn't any bream! It did this huge jump and I was amassed that a giant herring took a mullet head Haha. Was quite funny, the whole time fighting this fish we were in laughter. It did 1 run under locked drag, then 2 more under heavy drag but not locked. Netted and measured and it went a healthy 93cm.

Also some bycatch:

1.2meter threadfin

I think that’s enough for now, thread is starting to get very long isn't it. Thanks for reading.

Cheers Matt.

Re: Built for Speed

thats an awesome report mate well done

...of all the liars among mankind, the fisherman is the most trustworthy. ~William Sherwood Fox.

What a fantastic report - well done fellas. Arent those herrings a nice shiny looking fish...I see these were released but have you eaten one before?

Cheers\
    Boat: Seafarer Vagabond
    Live: Great South East....love Moreton Bay fishing

Quote Originally Posted by ozscott View Post
    What a fantastic report - well done fellas. Arent those herrings a nice shiny looking fish...I see these were released but have you eaten one before?

Cheers\
    We haven't tried to eat one yet, these fish are true speedsters so imo they are worth more to the environment than to take home for some dinner. They are also very bonny and full of muscle. Not the greatest eating fish imo.

I caught an 80cm GH out at Mud one day, awesome fun.
    Had no idea what it was till I got home and looked it up, slimy buggers.
    A lot of awesome fish in that report, well done.
    Cheers and thanks.

"Tackle Whore on a budget..."
    Gonzo II – Brooker 4.5m 40hp Yam & Outlaw Kayak
    Fish Well, Fish Egrell

http://www.ecofishersqld.org.au

They are nice looking fish and look powerfull. Well done

Insane read!

Great shots - I like the discreet 'photoshopping'.

Mozza

good report champ

well done on the fish

good try on the photo black out, but i see some grass on one of them. i think i know where you are.

matty

Onya boys....

Your arm is getting hairy mate...Green too...

Pete

Some nize hezzas there guys, i have caught heaps of these over the years and know how fast they are,good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by jackextracter View Post
    Some nize hezzas there guys, i have caught heaps of these over the years and know how fast they are,good stuff.

Hopefully a few more jacks when it warms up would be very nice.

Dont think we will beat your 60+ ones though, let alone 70cm.

Cheers Matt

Thats very impressive targeting a local species most of us have not come across and scoring so well. You might have opened up a whole new fishery
    A Proud Member of
    "The Rebel Alliance"

Some great fish there. I've only caught one little one and it really performed, so those must have been a real adrenalin rush. Great report

Cheers Freeeedom

Thanks all for the replys,

When the weather warms up again it should be more crazy and I hope we can start to chase these great fighting fish with top water lures such a megabass anthrax ect.

wow nice fish there boys.....

wouldn't catch me dead wearing shorts and tshirts at night lately tho , any hints where in brissy you're fishing?
    "Obsessive, Compulsive Lure Disorder"