Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Monduran Report Me 1 Fish 2 :(

Monduran Report Me 1 Fish 2 :(

Hey all
    Hit monduran at 9 am and by 9.30 had this little 98cm girl onboard. Hooked 2 more fish that were much bigger but both fish opened up the hooks on the jighead....no happy!! Few other wacks that didnt come up tight but had a great day!! not a touch on a hard body!!
    Anyone know of a good jighead for the hollow bellies that is a bit stronger? These are the 6/0 nitro's im using.
    Anyways a few pics!
    cyas out there!!
    oh and a big thankyou to the jerk in skeeter that did 30 knotts past my boat at 40 feet away, very conciderate!! i had to get off my cast deck or go for a swim....

Re: Monduran Report Me 1 Fish 2 :(

Dont you just love those wankers !!!!!

Good on ya rob keeping the barra tally up mate,i fished it sunday arv
    spooked plenty of fish and only had the one big girl roll a lure right
    at the boat,they are very testing that's for sure.
    cheers Paul

PS: nice report by the way. Hit Awoonga yesterday for many hours (running in a new motor) no fish either.

Another point ill add, the fish in the pic hit the plastic but didnt hookup, so i cast in front of her and she hit it again....the extra chance of a soft plastic!!

Awsome work mate.

Owner hooks are basically the strongest there is.

The only way to stop bending hooks is less drag pressure but then its really a catch 22 scenario.

Lovley to see that even in winter there are still knobs on the water

I'm looking at heading up again soon so might see you on the water.

Cheers

Lee

leelee cheers,m hopefully cross paths soon mate, we can swap boats for a day

Quote Originally Posted by setthehook View Post
    leelee cheers,m hopefully cross paths soon mate, we can swap boats for a day
    Thats cool.

I am happy to let people drive my boat as long as they know what they are doing.

Cheers

Lee

lol dont let me drive it then ill want one even more....misses is standing behind me she says im banned from your boat lmao

G'day Rob,

Sorry to hear that a Nitro Backbone jig let you down. The 6/0 is the smallest of three hooks in the range, so that must be the 4" Hollowbelly you're using? I have to personally take responsibility for building these on 1.7mm rather than 1.9mm diameter wire hooks - like the 7/0s (the 8/0s are 2.1mm).

The hooks in the Backbone jigs are Yakibas not Owners, they are great hooks, but obviously not up to the job on this occasion. I haven't heard of any dramas on the 7/0 or 8/0 as yet. But with big Barra, sometimes there is nothing you can do.

My only suggestion is try the Nitro Saltwater jig in 5/0, to suit the 4" Hollowbelly. These hooks are stronger, but the trade off is that they are slightly shorter.

Sorry about the lost fish! The next batch of 6/0s will be 1.9mm

Matt

Double post removed
    Last edited by matt fraser; 14-07-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: posted twice

Quote Originally Posted by setthehook View Post
    lol dont let me drive it then ill want one even more....misses is standing behind me she says im banned from your boat lmao
    Its not really that fast anyways and fast boats don't catch fish.

You can sneak out and have a drive one day for sure

Cheers

Lee

cheers Lee

Gday Matt!
    Any chance on a heads up when they jump too 1.9mm? could be along time before they hit the shelves after production AND I NEED EM!!!
    you are right im using the 4" i dont see the need to use the big ones esp this time of year... they are the best plastic out there salt and fresh i love em!!
    ill try find some saltwater 5/0 in the mean time. The fish in the pic half opened the hook in the pic above and the 2 other barra ripped them open completely.
    Cheers mate for the info

i dont think the 5/0s being short in the shank will be too big a drama, the bara today had them down half way to their ass!

Good work Rob, you're slaying them ATM.....

Just be aware that we have had 90cm barra straighten 5/0 Saltwater jigs with Owner hooks in under 2 seconds! Nothing stops the angry beast!

Maybe DEANO68 knows the skeeter knob you mention?.....

Regs

Pete & Kyle