Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Mondy from the back court

Mondy from the back court

Hi All

Crikey its cold here at Mondy !!!! … brrrrr .
    With several pms going back & forth over the past few months about having a fish together at Mondy , Lee (aka Leelee) & I finally managed this BR65 (Teflon) trip…….. My car ( Lee’s boat).
    The trip got off to a typical start …… when I got a call at 5am from Lee say “Jockey wheels F’d …..” need ya to come over !” All good & we hit the road arriving at F@xys for the traditional chat. Steve B arrives a short time later to offer some advice on spin rods where we put together a nice little combo + to generously lend me his new Egrel S10 … split grip weapon ( thanks bud ….. but it was nicer with the Certate 3000 on it )
    Set up camp & gear ….. chilled out for the rest of the day ( very blowy)
    Day 1 saw us fish some new waters in pretty miserable windy conditions …. Trying to find the best water in sheltered small bays ……. All to no avail. ( casting was a challenge in the 20-25knt wind gusts) Mid afternoon we moved into a favourite area ….. where we found a 1 deg improvement in temps & fish marked on the sounder. It was here that while drifting along that Lee ( the good listener that he is) make a cast into the zone …. Cranks his stiffy diver down & instantly loads up ….a quick thrash on the surface before it dogged it down deep. Impressively Lee backs off & calmly goes about his business …… up she pops & on the second pass - into the net she goes ! Whooo hooo …… I was excited “Gotta be close to a meter” So after the extraction of the deeply hooked Stiffy , photos & measurement …… 98cm..Attachment 48825 . ( on spin gear )
    Not long after …. I have an oh so brief encounter with a fish that peeled line on the strike … but except for the boil on the surface – nothing ! - With day 1 drawing to a close , I jump into the drivers seat & blast our way back to the ramp …….. Boy that Nitro goes well !
    That night after a few bevvies , a good camp oven cooked stew & roaring fire Attachment 48824….. Lee gets bitten by a wasp ( picking up one of our logs to burn …… a nest of the buggers) ….. poor bloke was in a bit of pain - thought about dailing 000STEVE.
    Day 2 … we were greeted by an improvement in conditions …… On the water around 9.00am …… the plan was to head up towards some sheltered bays up near H.
    As we were heading up I noticed that one of the bays ( never fished there before) looked glassed out by comparison to everywhere else & so I asked Lee to head over there & have a look …….. we found fish on the sounder in deeper water & 19.3 deg (19.5 was the best the day before) …… on the 2nd little point in the bay …. I’ve cast down the line of the weed edge ….. TWITCH … & a flash of silver from the weed – I’m on …… but in trouble. The boat was heading away from the fish – I had several trees between me & the fish ……. & a 17ft Nitro does not stop quickly on the leccy! Free spooled ….. the fish went around two trees before I could get close enough to pass the rod around …… then again & finally we had the boat in the right position to actually fight the fish ….. & after a couple more anxious moments - Lee nets a $1.00 even Attachment 48823……. At 10.20am this is a bonus fish. Then we have some dramas with my new camera …. No probs (second camera ) – F’K … change batteries F’K …. No problems I had spares …… Phew picky taken off she swims ( then the new camera works) ……. That was the only excitement for the day
    Now …. Lets see what happens today - Its chilly & there is some wind around again!

Chris ( & Lee)
    To be continued
    Give a man a fish & he will eat for a day !
    Teach him how to fish
    & he will sit in a boat - & drink beer all day!
    TEAM MOJIKO

Re: Mondy from the back court

Into em boys!!

sweeeeeeeeettttt!!!!

have a look in the next bay up, LHS, from that fav spot mate, once inside theres a gully/creek runs in on the left, carves a nice litle channel around 16 foot, with shallower water each side, fish were holding in the deeper water last time up, thats where my CVZ had a wardrobe malfunction, mite be worth a look on deeper suspending divers? You can get a good hang from the trees if that winds coming in from the south.

Nice work lads!! Break my rod and I own your certate!!! I have it in writing too.

Dear Steve

If I break your Egrell, you can have my certate and any rod from my collection that you choose.

Signed NAGG.

Thanks for the update Chris, well done to Lee and yourself.

I had planned to get up there this week but I'm on Jury Duty @#$%^&*

Steve - good thing you have it in writing mate - hmmm he's got a few rods there that would help make up for the loss I reckon

Nice work Chris & Lee, hope you both bag a few more

Say, Chris, is there much difference between my S10 and the suped up model of Steve's that you are using???

Next time i am up there i will have to try it (my S10) with a little more weight, it may make the difference.

Did you have trouble finding wood? i notice that you only have a small fire going, hope you haven't broken my axe handle again/

Good Luck Guys,

John.

Nice work lee and chris into them but leave some for the muster

shane

If you dont mind me asking guys what lure do you mean when you say stiffy diver? The new model ones with a decent bib on them or the new shallow running ones? I have both but just curious as to what you were using and the depth..... boats packed ill be there tomorrow!

Top work fellas,, how do i get a job like yours...I cant get up there until December....

Cheers Baz

Quote Originally Posted by NAGG View Post
    Hi All

Crikey its cold here at Mondy !!!! … brrrrr .

( very blowy)
    Day 1 saw us fish some new waters in pretty miserable windy conditions …. Trying to find the best water in sheltered small bays ……. All to no avail. ( casting was a challenge in the 20-25knt wind gusts)

Day 2 … we were greeted by an improvement in conditions …… On the water around 9.00am …… the plan was to head up towards some sheltered bays up near H.
    As we were heading up I noticed that one of the bays ( never fished there before) looked glassed out by comparison to everywhere else & so I asked Lee to head …. Lets see what happens today - Its chilly & there is some wind around again!

Chris ( & Lee)
    To be continued
    "The Wind is your friend"

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    Thanks for the update Chris, well done to Lee and yourself.

I had planned to get up there this week but I'm on Jury Duty @#$%^&*
    Guilty!

Most of my Money is spent on Booze and Fishin.
    The Rest is just Wasted!
    To The Shed.............

Quote Originally Posted by setthehook View Post
    If you dont mind me asking guys what lure do you mean when you say stiffy diver? The new model ones with a decent bib on them or the new shallow running ones? I have both but just curious as to what you were using and the depth..... boats packed ill be there tomorrow!

The big bib job (110 Diver) ..... only used selectively - but both my last 2 trips drew interest

Best of luck tomorrow Rob

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Well our morning session proved most interesting ….. early wind – then calm

It was during this calm that while fishing one of the small bays near Wiggle bay ….. I’ve made a cast toward some bankside weed with my X Rap when I received a bite that felt like a little love top on a placcy – I’ve struck & up pops a pretty decent barra (approx 110cm) slowly swimming towards us ( only 5 M away) mouth open & just a few head shakes …….. Then off she goes! With her quickly swimming towards 2 trees behind the boat …… she went straight between the 3 foot gap between the trees - I’ve quickly backed the drag off while Lee tries to manoeuvre the boat to where I can pass the rod through the trees to commence the fight in earnest …… unfortunately while passing my rod through the trees – I must have lost pressure . Bugger !!!! ……….. Ahhhh the problems faced when fishing off the back court.
    Over the next couple of hours ……. We spooked several barra sunning themselves in 20-30ft of water – with only another hit on my X rap which just went in & out in open water …… leaving my leader clearly scuffed .
    Once the wind started to pick up ….. we decided to call it a day – pack up & hit the road …….. with a 000STEVE stop over to give his new Egrell back to him .

An interesting weekend ……. More learnt about this winter barra fishing . I enjoyed fishing with Lee & out of his boat …….. Thanks mate - I thought we may have landed a few more …. Specially on the improving conditions ( I would have loved to be there tomorrow )

Cheers

chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Nice work lads!! Break my rod and I own your certate!!! I have it in writing too.

Dear Steve

If I break your Egrell, you can have my certate and any rod from my collection that you choose.

Signed NAGG.
    Your Egrell needs the Certate

Thanks again Steve

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO

Quote Originally Posted by Obi _ Wan View Post
    Nice work Chris & Lee, hope you both bag a few more

Say, Chris, is there much difference between my S10 and the suped up model of Steve's that you are using???

Next time i am up there i will have to try it (my S10) with a little more weight, it may make the difference.

Did you have trouble finding wood? i notice that you only have a small fire going, hope you haven't broken my axe handle again/

Good Luck Guys,

John.
    Hi John

Steves is lighter & I think shorter ........ I liked the blank ( but the grip configuration was too long (IMHO)

We found wood ..... but needed a chainsaw Fire was good though ( we had the rim glowing red hot )

Chris
    Teach him how to fish
    TEAM MOJIKO