Thread: Barra Rod Choice

Barra Rod Choice

Just Wondering What Rod To Choose Between, Chasing All Round Kinda Rod With Light Tip And Good Strength At Butt, Able To Handle Few Impoundment Barra Also, So Far Trying To Choose Between...

T-curve
    Wilson Live Fibre Barra Delux
    Loomis Gl2 Cr723c (or Gl3, If Tax Return Is Good )
    Nitro Undertaker Classic Barra

Any Thoughs....?? Any Other Rods Worth A Look...?

Thanks!

Re: Barra Rod Choice

Everyone will have their own comfort and confidence levels in the rods they choose. It's obviously very personal.

Choose something that you, not us as a group, are happy with, but if you plan on casting all day, something that will not fatigue you, but with the endemic strength in design to handle large, powerful, fast fish.

It's a time-endeared cliche that you do not carry a knife to a gun fight, but long gone are the days where you go into battle armed with an elephant gun.....as a general rule......something "light but with balls" will always win the day.

Modern rod manufacturers are well aware of this and there are a heap that will fit the bill. Do a search on here and you will see a vast array of different personal preferences.....for me, you can't go past a good Loomis, Egrell, Redington or dedicated Ian Miller stick...again, that's my personal opinion.

Of your choices, my preference would be for the Loomis or the Nitro.

Good luck and plenty of bloody good barra anglers on here will no doubt help you out.

Cheers
    Paul
    Ranger 188VX - "Sweet Chariot"

Re: Barra Rod Choice

Quote Originally Posted by ausqld91 View Post
    Just Wondering What Rod To Choose Between, Chasing All Round Kinda Rod With Light Tip And Good Strength At Butt, Able To Handle Few Impoundment Barra Also, So Far Trying To Choose Between...

T-curve
    Wilson Live Fibre Barra Delux
    Loomis Gl2 Cr723c (or Gl3, If Tax Return Is Good )
    Nitro Undertaker Classic Barra

Any Thoughs....?? Any Other Rods Worth A Look...?

Thanks!
    I have the Loomis CR663 and CR724, both in IMX. Great rods, but the former is no longer made (they have a Mossyback equivalent). Prefer the 663 for lighter lures, such as the small Luckycrafts and Classics (10-15 g), with the 724 being better for larger lures (>15 g). Both are strong and reliable blanks, with captures including a 30Kg Bronze Whaler, a 15Kg Longtail and numerous big Threadfin, Jacks and Barra. Go the GL3 rather than GL2 if you can stretch the dollars. Although long sticks seem to be increasingly popular, I prefer shorter rods for all round work as they give better casting accuracy and are superior for working the mangroves in close quarters.